1Password available in the Microsoft Store

Options

To start with, I find 1Password the best password manager I have ever had.🔒🛡
Everything from 1Password is very user-friendly.

On my Windows 10 laptop I usually use apps from the Microsoft Store, because updates are performed in the background.
As a result, I no longer always have to check for updates myself.💻⏱

Can you make it possible to release 1Password 7 and X in the Microsoft Store?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thanks for reaching out, @Martjinn, and I hope you've had a lovely holiday season!

This would likely fall into the category of "someday maybe". There has been some softening of restrictions on what, exactly, can be in the Microsoft Store of late, but nothing that would allow us to provide the current version of 1Password 7 there. We'd need to maintain two separate versions of 1Password for Windows – one for the Store and another for those installing it directly. In addition, with the caveat that I'm not totally up to speed on the changes to those restrictions, I believe it remains the case that Microsoft Store apps can't interact with non-Store apps. So, for example, 1Password from the Microsoft Store wouldn't be able to save and fill in Chrome which isn't available in the Store. That's a bit of a dealbreaker for us – our customers use all sorts of browsers and we need 1Password to support whatever browser they choose.

Now, with that said, 1Password should still update in the background for you – this isn't something requires the Microsoft Store at all and any developer should have the option to build automatic updates into their apps. We've done just that and, if enabled, 1Password will update itself automatically when an update is available and 1Password is locked. You can learn more about keeping 1Password up-to-date here:

https://support.1password.com/update-1password/

• Martijnn
    Martijnn
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

@bundtkate, You don't need to develop a new app if you want to release 1Password in the Microsoft Store.
    For this you can use the MSIX Packaging Tool.🔄
    This app creates an "app package", which is actually your .exe application. You can then install this "app package" yourself for testing or release it in the Microsoft Store.
    Interaction with desktop apps is also possible for Microsoft Store apps. 📡 Enpass from the Microsoft Store (which is also a .exe application released as an Microsoft Store app) also does this with Firefox and Chrome extensions.
    And also McAfee on my laptop can interact with the McAfee WebAdvisor extension for Microsoft Edge.

• MikeT
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi @Martijnn,

Microsoft has been improving and loosening up the restrictions but it is not there yet for us.

We have no desire to have two separate channels of getting 1Password, the Microsoft Store and from our website, this has caused a lot of confusion even when we had a UWP version of 1Password available in the Microsoft Store at the same time.

Kate was not referring to a separate new application but two separate codebases because the website has to have an updater built-in to update the app and the updater/installer is complex to maintain because we have deep integrations with Windows that have to be handled carefully (keeping the browser running with 1Password extension can interfere with the installing process). MSIX does not handle the updating part for users that may download it from our website; so that means we still have to maintain two separate "versions" with separate paths for updating/installing.

It is possible in time that we can reach that point where we only need to be in Microsoft Store and until then, it is too early to consider Microsoft Store when the website version works fine for 100% of our customers.

Note, we've been keep tracking of the MSIX / desktop app bridge progress for the Microsoft Store; we've tried it 6-12 months ago and it required customers to have sideloading enabled in their Windows setups, which obviously we're not going to do. There were other issues we found. They're much better now but we're not planning to be there any time soon.

This discussion has been closed.