Question Dropbox Sync Problems

krgraham
krgraham
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
Just downloaded 1PW Pro 3.5 from Apple. Opened app on iPhone and performed Wi-Fi sync. My db is on Dropbox from the Desktop so db's should be identical.

Then I turned on Dropbox sync on iPhone, entered requested PWs, a new sync began. V_E_R_Y S_L_O_W. However, I kept seeing messages informing me of sync conflicts as each pw was downloaded. After seeing many of these I reset iPhone to Wi-Fi sync.

Why should there be any conflicts? If Dropbox is synced from Desktop (which needs to be open for Wi-Fi sync to run on iPhone) shouldn't the db's be identical? Changing the sync from Wi-Fi to Dropbox on the iPhone should give me the same db on the iPhone, right?

Comments

• Dave ATX
    edited December 1969
    Similar story here. I started off with a slightly stale db on my iPhone and upon first Dropbox sync it reported conflicts for every one of my keychain items. I let the sync complete but was never prompted to resolve any conflicts in either the iPhone or Mac apps. I hit sync again and it pushed about half of my keychain items as changes back to dropbox.

Can't quite tell what happened, but it doesn't seem good. ;) Any ideas?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    When doing the betas I saw 2 conflicts that popped up no more during my inital sync w/ dropbox. So I have no ideas at the moment. The team will be in tomorrow so maybe they can sort through it. They are gonna wake to a lot of support requests.
  • davisd79
    edited December 1969
    I had to enter my master password multiple times on both the iPhone and iPad. It took the password and said it was incorrect but I could still press the sync now button and it kicked off the sync like it was supposed to. On my iPad everything ran smooth after that with no issues but my iPhone repeatedly said it encountered some discrepancies on more than half of my passwords. I got a ton of growl notifications where it looked like it was updating several files during the sync but once it was done I did not see any extra or duplicate files lying around.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Unfortunately, there might be some conflicts reported, especially if you have old entries in the data file.

The best way to get clean them up would be to use Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File menu on Mac and completely remove all data on iPhone/iPad and then sync again.

I hope to add a good conflict resolution code to the next version of 1Password for Mac to automatically get rid of conflicted items whenever possible.
  • Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I just deleted the app on my iPad and downloaded it again. I rebuilt the iPad data via wifi sync through the standard startup menu on the iPad. I then turned on dropbox sync and the iPad still wanted to upload my entire keychain. Surely that can't be right?
  • riccto
    riccto
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Using 3.3 (30700), iphone 4.01 + 1pass 3.5, I too am seeing these "master password was incorrect...".
    I have reset the iphone file, tried wifi then activate Dropbox and simply waiting, and none work.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    riccto wrote:
    Using 3.3 (30700), iphone 4.01 + 1pass 3.5, I too am seeing these "master password was incorrect...".
    I have reset the iphone file, tried wifi then activate Dropbox and simply waiting, and none work.

This must be related to Dropbox configuration issues that we are trying to fix. Please try again now and see if it works for you.
  • bondskin
    bondskin
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I have no conflicts after enabling dropbox sync on my iphone but each time I start the app it sends the entire keychain (550 files) to dropbox which is a bit annoying
  • krgraham
    krgraham
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Rebuilding Data File seems to fix the conflicts, but Dropbox sync is TOO SLOW. Compared to Wi-Fi sync it appears to take forever, in fact I quit sync as I couldn't wait for it to finish.

Is this a function of the first Dropbox sync and will it be quick after the first sync? Seems to me that since Dropbox is on desktop using wi-fi network both syncs should work at roughly the same speed (?).
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    krgraham wrote:
    Rebuilding Data File seems to fix the conflicts, but Dropbox sync is TOO SLOW. Compared to Wi-Fi sync it appears to take forever, in fact I quit sync as I couldn't wait for it to finish.

Is this a function of the first Dropbox sync and will it be quick after the first sync? Seems to me that since Dropbox is on desktop using wi-fi network both syncs should work at roughly the same speed (?).

You can really compare it to Wi-Fi sync as we use a special protocol between Mac and iPhone app to send up to 50 items at once. With Dropbox, every item needs to be fetched individually.

It will be much faster after the initial sync.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    bondskin wrote:
    I have no conflicts after enabling dropbox sync on my iphone but each time I start the app it sends the entire keychain (550 files) to dropbox which is a bit annoying

You must be outside North America?

This is our bug and we will be submitting a bug fix later today for App Store review.
  • bondskin
    bondskin
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi roustem,

actually, I am from Europe (how do you know?).
    Thanks for confirming a bug so I will wait for the bug fix.
    Also thanks for your immediate response, much appreciated.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.