1Password 3.5.2 does support iOS 3.1

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
It appears that the new update to 3.5 won't install on a device running anything pre-3.2. Are we folk with older hardware out of luck??? :-(

Comments

• Tilo
    Tilo
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same problem here.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    So will there by any support for users who are stuck on iOS 3.1.3 (1G iPod Touch users for example)??
    :^)
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    WalrusCP wrote:
    So will there by any support for users who are stuck on iOS 3.1.3 (1G iPod Touch users for example)??
    :^)

I do not see how this can be done without creating a separate application.

Plus, most of the changes introduced in 3.5 are related to iOS 4.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:

Sucks that we of the early adopter ilk will be left behind. Dropbox syncing goodness will be lost to us as will any future bug fixes. Other devs have been able to support both iOS3 and 4 at the same time, but I can only assume that the necessary updates do not allow for backwards compatibility.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    WalrusCP wrote:
    Sucks that we of the early adopter ilk will be left behind. Dropbox syncing goodness will be lost to us as will any future bug fixes. Other devs have been able to support both iOS3 and 4 at the same time, but I can only assume that the necessary updates do not allow for backwards compatibility.

I am sorry. The auto-locking is completely different when multi-tasking is available, I couldn't figure out the way to make it work in both 3.1.3 and 4.0.
  • odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    roustem wrote:
    I am sorry. The auto-locking is completely different when multi-tasking is available, I couldn't figure out the way to make it work in both 3.1.3 and 4.0.

There's no multitasking on the iPhone 3G running iOS 4, so now you're hardware-specific as well. :(

Why did the auto-locking have to be changed?

Furthermore, the AppStore only lists 1Password Pro 3.5 as "iOS 4.0 tested," not "required."
  • om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same here: Why can't you support OS3.1.3 AND OS4 at the same time? Sure, the OS4 specific features won't work with devices that have OS3 installed, but very cool things like the Dropbox sync would be VERY welcome for OS3 users as well. There are enough apps in the AppStore which run on OS3 and OS4 devices at the same time, of course with some limitations on the older hardware.

And yes, I also find the "iOS4 compatible" in the app description VERY confusing - as far as the iPhone is concerned it is "iOS4 required".

No way you can bring Dropbox sync to us 3.1.3 users? In theory I could upgrade (iPhone 3G), but I already did that once and iOS4 just runs incredibly bad.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    om3ga777 wrote:
    And yes, I also find the "iOS4 compatible" in the app description VERY confusing - as far as the iPhone is concerned it is "iOS4 required".

Since iOS 4 was released I've been careful to check the Requirements section (in iTunes) before updating apps because "Check for updates" offers updates that aren't compatible with 3.1.3 and there's no obvious way to disable them appearing. That's been more confusing/annoying to me than apps being described as "iOS 4 compatible". Seems to me since iTunes knows which device(s) it possibly synchs with it should be smart enough to only be offering updates compatible with it/them. It's a hassle having to do repeatedly do that filtering manually.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    odysseus wrote:
    Furthermore, the AppStore only lists 1Password Pro 3.5 as "iOS 4.0 tested," not "required."

Here, under Requirements it specifically says "Requires iOS 3.2 or later". In general, not just for 1P, my hunch is a lot of people are overlooking that Requirements section, stopping when they see "iOS 4.0 tested" and other info above it (if they even get that far).
  • plusplus
    edited December 1969
    The app store does have that required note, but it's not really in your face when you do an upgrade all from within iTunes.

So now, I have a version of 1Password (3.5) that I can't install on my iPhone until I upgrade to 4.0 (and I want to wait till they fix the speed, because it did suck on the 3G). I rashly deleted the previous version from my iPhone as iTunes isn't very clear why it's not upgrading. I can't see how to downgrade 1Password, so my investment in 1Password pro has pretty much evaporated. Luckily I CAN upgrade to 4.0, but I guess people on 2G phones might get bitten.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    My iPod Touch 2G was upgraded to iOS 4.0 by iTunes. 1P doesn't work, however (crashes), so it's not just the OS. Hadn't thought about the pseudo multi-tasking angle though. In the meantime I've uninstalled !P on my Touch until (if ever) there's a fix and use it only on my G5 and MBP. Couldn't live without it on the Macs, can on the Touch.
  • martymankins
    martymankins
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:

Wow. Nice to see 1Password move forward quickly in supporting the new iOS4, but ignoring all 2G iPhone and 1G iPod touch that can't and any 3G or 3GS users that haven't or don't want to upgrade to iOS4 yet is a bit bold.

Good thing it didn't wipe out the previous version from my 2G iPhone. Guess I'll just live with the error about not being able to update the 1P app I get each time I sync my iPhone.

On a much more positive note, the universal build works great on my iPad.
  • martymankins
    martymankins
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    plusplus wrote:
    I rashly deleted the previous version from my iPhone as iTunes isn't very clear why it's not upgrading. I can't see how to downgrade 1Password, so my investment in 1Password pro has pretty much evaporated. Luckily I CAN upgrade to 4.0, but I guess people on 2G phones might get bitten.

I didn't delete the previous version of 1Password from my 2G iPhone, but it may be a while before I upgrade to an iOS4-compatible iPhone. For now, as I stated in my post above, it just errors when syncing, which fortunately can be dismissed, keeping the older app (and my data) on the 2G.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Guess I'll just live with the error about not being able to update the 1P app I get each time I sync my iPhone.

That's one way to handle it. :)

In general, if you've downloaded an incompatible update with iTunes you can move it aside (e.g. the parent folder of Mobile Applications) and sync to transfer the current version from your device back to your system. Then ignore those apps when they show up as update candidates after running "Check for updates" in iTunes.

That won't work if you've got a combination of devices running older/newer iOS versions, the former which won't run an updated app and the latter which will.

I think Apple's been overly aggressive pushing iOS 4 without enough concern for app update issues with older devices. There are probably still a significant number of people updating apps in iTunes, discovering they won't sync with older devices, and not knowing what to do.
  • martymankins
    martymankins
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    sjk wrote:
    In general, if you've downloaded an incompatible update with iTunes you can move it aside (e.g. the parent folder of Mobile Applications) and sync to transfer the current version from your device back to your system. Then ignore those apps when they show up as update candidates after running "Check for updates" in iTunes.

That won't work if you've got a combination of devices running older/newer iOS versions, the former which won't run an updated app and the latter which will.

Thanks for suggesting another option. I will give that a try and see what happens.
  • MBPBo
    MBPBo
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I can understand the technical issues of a new iOS making it very difficult to provide backward compatibility for older versions of iOS, however, since iOS 4 is either not at all usable on older hardware or makes perfectly functional hardware (e.g. iPod touch 2G, iPhone 3G) run very poorly, you have effectively terminated any future support for those customers without the latest Apple hardware.

I have an iPod touch 2G, only 22 months old, that apparently would run iOS 4 very sluggishly so I do not intend to "upgrade" from my current iOS 3.1.2 (BTW, even if I wanted to update to the newer iOS 3.1.3 now (which I have the file for), iTunes will not support that installation since iOS 4 was released.

Besides possible new features that I will not be able to take advantage of in newer releases of 1Password Pro, I also won't be able to get any bug fixes to the pre-iOS 4 version of 1Password Pro, which has one bug that impacts me and it was never fixed (and now definitely never will be fixed in a version that I can use).

If other software developers can simultaneously support both iOS 4 and earlier iOS versions in their apps due to the type of functionality that those apps provide, but 1Password Pro cannot, it would seem that Agile Web Solutions should support parallel versions of 1Password Pro to be able to continue supporting their LARGE installed based of older hardware iPod touch and iPhone users.

While I love and could not live without 1Password on my MacBook Pro, this development with 1Password Pro and iOS 4 does not leave me with a good feeling. There was a conscious decision made to abandon any further follow-on support for all paying customers who either cannot or, for good reason, do not want to install iOS 4 on their "older" hardware.
  • danimal
    danimal
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Coming from iOS development I'm scratching my head how at how iOS 3.2 is supported but pre-3.2 is not because of multitasking on the iPhone. I understand you don't want a tangled mess of iOS revision checks for runtime support on iOS pre-4.0, testing that many code paths is a pain. Ease of maintenance is more important so you can provide further updates with out backing yourself into a corner, I'm just disappointed there wasn't a few months of overlap with iOS 4 updates and dropping pre-3.2 support. I'll just have to wait until I get a new device to try out 1PP (currently on a 3G, not upgrading to iOS 4.0 for dev testing reasons).
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    danimal wrote:
    Coming from iOS development I'm scratching my head how at how iOS 3.2 is supported but pre-3.2 is not because of multitasking on the iPhone.

Insightful observation.

I'm just disappointed there wasn't a few months of overlap with iOS 4 updates and dropping pre-3.2 support.

Agreed. It's was definitely a bummer discovering the first update after slow development for a relatively long time wouldn't run on my iPod touch. Even just one final update before pulling the plug would have eased that blow.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I have an iPod Touch 2G and during my last sync with iTunes it was automatically updated to Software Version (iOS) 4.0. It didn't ask. While it will not run the latest version of 1P Pro which just crashes while trying to sync, it is not, as MBPBo says, "sluggish". It seems to run just fine except that it eats its battery faster than before. I really like the "folders" that come with 4 because I can get everything I care about on one "page" with icons labeled "Games", "Miscellany", "Reference", "Utilities", "Calcs", "News", and "Apple Apps". The only other casualty I've noticed (besides 1P Pro) seems to be USA Today Crosswords which is struggling through a series of incremental but not quite there yet updates.

As I understand it, iOS 4.0 does not enable quasi-multitasking on a 2G, however.
  • solo9
    edited December 1969
    how to downgrade 1Password Pro from 3.5 to previous version as I can not install it to my iPhone OS 3.1.3?
  • om3ga777
    om3ga777
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    There is no way of downgrading. When updating apps iTunes puts the old version in the junk - maybe you still find it there. Another option would be a backup (Time Machine or other) which includes the old file of 1P. If you have no file in the junk, no backup and deleted the app from your device but updated in iTunes on your Mac, then I guess you are out of luck.

I'd really like to hear a statement of Agile - 1P is my absolutely number one application on all my Apple hardware and I recommend it to every Apple newbie in my circle of friends. Updates on the Mac are frequent and as far as I am concerned I never really had problems with the mobile versions (so the not so frequent update cycle was no real problem for me). However leaving all pre-iOS4 users just behind is ... something I didn't expect from a company that seemed to care so much about its customers.
  • lantrix
    lantrix
    Community Member
    plusplus wrote:

The app store does have that required note, but it's not really in your face when you do an upgrade all from within iTunes.

So now, I have a version of 1Password (3.5) that I can't install on my iPhone until I upgrade to 4.0 (and I want to wait till they fix the speed, because it did suck on the 3G). I rashly deleted the previous version from my iPhone as iTunes isn't very clear why it's not upgrading. I can't see how to downgrade 1Password, so my investment in 1Password pro has pretty much evaporated. Luckily I CAN upgrade to 4.0, but I guess people on 2G phones might get bitten.

I'm in the same boat. Slightly different path though. I upgraded an iPhone 3G to iOS4.0, and it was so un-usable (even with 4.0.1) that I flashed it back to iOS3.1.3, the last official firmware for a 3G device. Now I find I can't use 1Password pro, as iTunes had already updated it to 3.5. I WAS able to downgrade another app, as it had the same issue, so my solution as a Mac user is this:
    • Remove the 1Password Pro app from iTunes
    • Open the folder where the iPhone apps are on my Mac (~/Music/iTunes/Mobile\ Applications/)
    • Restore using Time Machine old version of the App that is compatible
    • Double click on the restored 1Password*.ipa application, adds it back to iTunes
    • Sync back to the Phone
    • DONT update 1Password Pro in iTunes.

I'll see how it goes for me with 1Password Pro.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    lantrix wrote:

I'll see how it goes for me with 1Password Pro.

You know 3.5.2 is compatible with iOS 3.1.x? Discussion before your reply occurred before that was announced.
  • lantrix
    lantrix
    Community Member
    sjk wrote:

You know 3.5.2 is compatible with iOS 3.1.x? Discussion before your reply occurred before that was announced.

I do now. :-) I went to go through my steps, and saw the update waiting in iTunes.
    Thanks!
  • OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    roustem wrote:

I'm now totally confused.

I'm running a 2G iPod Touch with 3.1.2 firmware

In the app store the upgrade to 1PW to rev 3.5.2 says iOS 3.1 or later required, nothing at all about 3.2 required or even desirable

So will it work on my iPod or not?

Threads here imply it won't work but the App store info implies it will.
  • deangles
    deangles
    Community Member
    OogieM wrote:

I'm now totally confused.

I'm running a 2G iPod Touch with 3.1.2 firmware

In the app store the upgrade to 1PW to rev 3.5.2 says iOS 3.1 or later required, nothing at all about 3.2 required or even desirable

So will it work on my iPod or not?

Threads here imply it won't work but the App store info implies it will.

I am confused as well. I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 3.1.3. I don't remember any message about iOS 3.2 in iTunes. Was iOS 3.2 specific to the iPad?
  • roustem
    edited August 2010

1Password for iPhone 3.5.2 requires iOS 3.1 (or later)

1Password for iPad requires iOS 3.2.

1Password Pro 3.5.2 requires
    • iOS 3.1 (or later) on iPhone
    • iOS 3.2 on iPad.
  • This thread is very old and information in the first half of it is completely outdated.

I am closing the thread so that it doesn't get bumped up any more.
This discussion has been closed.