Verifying standalone vault path in Win7

Options
Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited January 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I'm troubleshooting a Win7->Win10 operating system post upgrade issue for my Dad with 1password / dropbox / win10. Where in the Win7 version of 1password can I verify where his software is pointing? In the Mac version, I just go to settings > Sync > and I can see the exact pathway for the local vault. I didn't see something obvious like this on the Windows version of 1PW.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:vault directory

Comments

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

god, terrible questions get bad answers. let me rephrase.... "Verifying standalone 1Password version 7 vault path in Windows 10".

Dad's computer was upgraded from operating system Windows 7 to Windows 10. We have standalone 1Password version 7 installed with a valid license key applied and had the 1password desktop software pointing to what I thought was the valid opvault file. We created a test Secure Note, but don't see this note replicated to all synced devices. I suspect there is a Dropbox syncing error happening but want to rule out a misdirection during the initial vault pathway software set up. To verify, I'd like to know the exact path used by 1Password to open the vault file. I think it's pointing to the Dropbox directory, but I'd like to 100% know to rule out a simple 1PW desktop software misconfiguration problem which would suggest a Dropbox syncing problem.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

You can check the path for your local vault by going to ... > Reveal in Explorer:

Let us know what you find. If 1Password 7 is pointed in the right direction, but the issues remain, we will take a closer look. :) Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg Thank you~ First need to confirm we know where the Dropbox directory resides on his hard drive :-) and that DB is actually syncing data as expected. My guess Win10 borked DB syncing, but we shall see.

• If he's using a free Dropbox account, @Superfandominatrix, Dropbox may be recognizing the updated PC as a new device that perhaps pushed him over his limit? You might take a look at the authorized devices and see if de-authorizing the Win 7 install helps. I'd expect Dropbox to let you know if that's what's up as it is pretty darned good at reminding me when I've failed at test device juggling, but worth a look perhaps.

Regardless, good on you for getting him off Windows 7! I'm glad it's been EOLed, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me twitch a bit. OS updates are hard for some folks and it stinks to think about whose out there on a retired OS without help. I'm sure he appreciates the hand. :chuffed:

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    Options

@greg @bundtkate thanks guys. it looks like a combo of a) dad's PC build shop having skipped installing Dropbox entirely (but not other applications like 1Password), b) Dropbox automatically configuring Dad's Dropbox directory to C:\User\Dropbox... instead of the D:\Dropbox data partition, and c) having about 15 ancient devices linked to a free account with a limit of 3 devices. So installed Dropbox, moved the sync location from C to D, and cleaned up the account's device permissions.

We are still finishing the syncing but I'm pretty sure at this point we have this sorted. Much appreciations~

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

You are very welcome! :chuffed: I am glad to hear we were able to help.

If you want to stop worrying about sync in the future (there is a lot of things that can go south with a third party sync), you might want to consider switching to a family account. They are much more convenient. If you have any questions about them, we will be happy to provide more info. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.