Question Dropbox Syncing

skattank
skattank
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
I have updated 1P on my Mac and 1PT on my iphone to the latest versions. Setting up the Dropbox syncing I kept getting that the master password of my data file was incorrect, but finally after various attempts it took it and sync fine.

I wanted to try how "immediate" updating was so I created an item on 1P to see when it would appear on 1PT but it did not happen until I actually went to the sync settings and pressed sync now. Is this how it is supposed to be (if so it would be better to have a sync button somewhere more accessible instead of having to go deep into the menus) , or should the file update automatically when a change is made (like calendar sync through MobileMe) or is there a lag and if so how long?

Thanks for your help and for a great program like 1P!!!

Saul

Comments

• ilove1password
    ilove1password
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    I had the same issue where 1Password Touch Pro was telling me my Mac master password was wrong. After resetting the database in the app a couple of times, I tried updating 1Password on my Mac, and then the issue resolved. I don't know if updating 1Password on the Mac was the cause of resolution (i.e., somehow it modified the files in the 1PasswordSync folder to fix things). Oh and now look at this! ... I just discovered that a second 1PasswordSync directory called "1Password Sync (1)" was created. I wonder if this was the issue? Somehow 1Password Touch Pro decided it need to make a 1Password Sync directory (even though there was already one there) and then went on to decide the master password was wrong (since the directory was empty).

Update: I got the incorrect master password message again even after having updated the 1Password application on the Mac. Also, now that I deleted the "1PasswordSync (1)" directory (which was empty) and 1Password Touch Pro is telling me that it failed to find the data file on Dropbox, even though it had been syncing fine with the "1PasswordSync" directory which is still there (and has my keychain).

Update2: In the process of trying to get it to work, 1Password Touch Pro has recreated the 1Password (1) directory I deleted and has gone back to complaining about the Master Password.

Update3: Apparently, the 1Password (1) directory is necessary for it to work because the app says "Failed to find the data file on Dropbox" unless that directory exists: the error disappears as soon as I undelete the directory and the error reappears as soon as I delete the directory.

Update4: So I think everything is happy now. I think my problems were rooted in the fact that I had allowed 1Password on my Mac to create the 1PasswordSync directory a week or so ago (from the Help menu) in anticipation of this feature. I went ahead and moved my agile keychain out of that directory and out of my Dropbox entirely. Then I reset 1PasswordTouch Pro, set it up again, and allowed it to create the 1PasswordSync directory. At this point, 1PasswordTouch Pro just kept trying to load the remote keys (which weren't available, of course, since I had moved my agile keychain out of my dropbox). I quit 1PasswordTouch Pro, went to the Mac and moved my agile keychain into my Dropbox main directory (NOT into the 1Password sync directory yet), and fired up 1Password Touch Pro, which went ahead and synced without incident. This was surprising since the keychain wasn't in the special directory. I guess it doesn't have to be so I wonder what the set of valid locations are. I decided to push my luck and move my keychain into the 1Password Sync directory that I had allowed 1Password Touch Pro to create by getting my old 1Password Sync directory out of the way. The sync continues to work without incident. I have not yet experienced any complaints about the Master Password.

SO, I wonder whether Saul (a.k.a., skattank) was like me and had previously created the 1Password Sync directory using 1Password on his Mac in anticipation of the feature as I had, in which case this would seem to be the source of both our ills.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    First of all, the sync should happen automatically every time you unlock 1Password on iPhone or make a change on iPhone.

About the master password issues. It appears that we had some configuration issues on Dropbox and we are now trying to fix this. I am got a few reports that this problem was fixed, please try to sync again and see how it works for you now.
  • skattank
    skattank
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Roustem,

I have made changes in my iphone and do see the indication that it is syncing immediately I even see the dropbox icon on my PC syncing indicating that the process is working but when I open 1P on Windows I do not see the changes. Shouldn't I be able to do so? or is it not working with the windows version?
    I will check with my Mac once I get home and see if it is working on the Mac version.

The other question is if I make the changes on the computer (Mac or Windows) will it also sync immediately with the phone (once I go to the app and unlock will it check for updates)? What happens if the app is already unlocked (multitasking and has not yet locked)?
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    skattank wrote:
    Roustem,

I have made changes in my iphone and do see the indication that it is syncing immediately I even see the dropbox icon on my PC syncing indicating that the process is working but when I open 1P on Windows I do not see the changes. Shouldn't I be able to do so? or is it not working with the windows version?
    I will check with my Mac once I get home and see if it is working on the Mac version.

We currently have an issue when Windows version of 1Password does not detect changes right away. I hope to get this fixed soon.

skattank wrote:
    The other question is if I make the changes on the computer (Mac or Windows) will it also sync immediately with the phone (once I go to the app and unlock will it check for updates)? What happens if the app is already unlocked (multitasking and has not yet locked)?

Yes, the sync start after you unlock or change/add item on iPhone. Currently 1Password does not poll Dropbox periodically while it is unlocked as I didn't want to drain the iPhone/iPad batteries by trying to sync every few minutes.
  • willoneal
    willoneal
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I was finally able to get Dropbox to see the password file on dropbox, but I can't get past the "incorrect password" problem.

Can someone post exact steps in how to get this done?
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    willoneal wrote:
    I was finally able to get Dropbox to see the password file on dropbox, but I can't get past the "incorrect password" problem.

Can someone post exact steps in how to get this done?

It has to be exactly the same password you use on Mac (or Windows). Note that it could be different from the master password you use on iPhone or iPad.
  • willoneal
    willoneal
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the reply, but it is the exact same password. I went through the change password settings on both the mac and the phone, and it still complains.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    willoneal wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, but it is the exact same password. I went through the change password settings on both the mac and the phone, and it still complains.

I am not sure what could be wrong there.

Please try to Reset dropbox (Account > Reset) and see if that helps.
  • willoneal
    willoneal
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    That worked. Thanks for the help.
  • willoneal
    willoneal
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Well, I say it looks like it's working. On every item in the Dropbox, 1PW is duplicating them, telling me they are conflicts, and adding them to the dropbox. I have a feeling that won't be fun to fix with 1294 items in my 1PW file.
  • willoneal
    willoneal
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yep, that is exactly what happened. In the data folder, I have 2588 files:
    0A70B5F4B4214D4DB77DCD5B54A4BFAC (My iPhone's conflicted copy 2010-07-24).1password and
    0A70B5F4B4214D4DB77DCD5B54A4BFAC.1password

Is there an automated way to fix this?
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    willoneal wrote:
    Yep, that is exactly what happened. In the data folder, I have 2588 files:
    0A70B5F4B4214D4DB77DCD5B54A4BFAC (My iPhone's conflicted copy 2010-07-24).1password and
    0A70B5F4B4214D4DB77DCD5B54A4BFAC.1password

Is there an automated way to fix this?

We will be updating the Mac version to fix these conflicts.
This discussion has been closed.