Bug DROPBOX SYNC: Keeps sending whole keychain again and again [FIXED in 3.5.2]

rosenkrieger
rosenkrieger
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
I have placed my 1Password keychain onto dropbox a few months ago.

Today, installed newest 1Password on the Mac
Installed the iPad & iPhone Version of 1P Pro

I activated the sync on the iPhone - it send 643 items
I then activated the sync on the iPad - it send 643 items

I then added a note on the iPhone - it send the whole keychain again
I then added a note on the iPad - it send the whole keychain again

So no matter what I do - 1P on the iPad and iPhone always send the entire keychain again and again - yes its all in sync - but is that the way its supposed to work instead of just sending updated files?

Comments

• paxton
    edited July 2010
    Exactly the same here. iPhone and iPad just keep sending my entire library to the dropbox folder. (BTW and the new Windows build just crashes every time I try to view an entry.) I was using dropbox for months now on Mac as well as Win and my library is not located in the default 1passwordsync root folder ... 1Password touch does upload the correct folder. The newly created root folder is empty ...
  • bondskin
    bondskin
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    same here. latest 1Password on Iphone (4.0.1) each time the sync starts end sends the entire keychain (550 files).
    Only good news is that the data seems to be consistent and the other clients (Windows, Mac, etc) are working (still) properly....
    This is really a mess....
  • paxton
    edited December 1969
    Note to myself: Never, ever use beta nor .0 releases of 1PW. If so, you'll be doomed. Unfortunately, I knew this already but was too tempered ...
  • Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    Same issue here. 800+ entries synced over and over. Even after restarting the iPhone and not making any changes, the next time I start the iPhone app it just starts syncing all 800+ entries to Dropbox again. I'll turn this off and go back to WiFi syncing again until at least a few versions further down the line.. I hope I didn't lose any data (quite difficult to figure out in 800+ entries).

Details: iPhone 3GS 32GB, iOS 4.0.1, 1Password Pro 3.5 & 1Password 3.3.0 (#30700). Used WiFi sync before, quite recently.
  • lonevvolf
    lonevvolf
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same problem here. Also, 1Password Anywhere doesn't seem to work completely - only the Logins tab works. Are you also seeing this?
  • paxton
    edited July 2010
    My 1Password Anywhere logins do not work either. Some entries show fine, most of them not at all (error decrypting ...).
  • pr0xyzer
    edited July 2010
    Same here (1Password Pro 3.5 and 1Password 3.3.0)!
    300+ Logins again and again :(
  • LagaV
    edited December 1969
    I'm also seeing repeated "Sending xxx items to Dropbox" - Updates that previously where made on the Mac, but weren't synced to the iPad prior to enabling Dropbox sync on the iOS device, are not showing up on the iPad.
  • MarcoH
    edited December 1969
    Same here.
  • Peter B. Schaufuss
    Peter B. Schaufuss
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same issue here on iPhone 3GS (4.0.1) with the latest 1PW Pro and 1PW on the Mac.

Keychain is not located in the root of dropbox, but in a folder i created called "Shared data" - I prefer not to keep in the root folder - maybe that's the problem?
  • MarcoH
    edited December 1969
    I also got an iPhone 3GS (4.0.1) with latest Versions on Mac iPhone and iPad.
    Keychain is located in the root of dropbox so I think this isn't the issue
  • golfsierra
    golfsierra
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    same problem here ... went back to WiFi sync ... at least that still works fine ...
  • beam
    beam
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    My WiFi-Sync on iPad was 8 Weeks old. As I switched to DropBox-Sync all my Desktops reset to to the 8 weeks old version :-(
    But thanks to the automatic backup function of the desktop version it wasn't so bad. :-)
  • steffen
    steffen
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same here, version 3.5 for iPhone sents >300 items every time it syncs but even then, any changes or additions on the Mac version 3.3 won't sync back on the iPhone... therefore, also went back to WiFi sync.
  • amphora
    amphora
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Not very contributing but still wanted to say I had the same problem. Reverted back to WiFi sync...
  • xendless
    edited December 1969
    DropBox sync not working on either iPhone 4 or iPad for me. Both seem to sync, report sync complete, but remain empty (should be over 500 items).

Not sure if the problem is DropBox or 1Password, but it's quite the fustercluck!

Still, excellent feature to have added. Wifi syncing always seemed so clunky to me - this is much more elegant… or will be when it works, which I am confident will be soon as the 1Password devs tend to be very reactive (cf. every Safari update).
  • apl
    apl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'd like to add to the list of people with sync issues over DropBox on the iPad version. I switched it on expecting that the sync would download the newer keychain on DropBox but the iPad decided to upload everything it had over the newer keychain on DropBox.

Luckily I took a backup before I did the sync, I'll restore that and put the iPad back to Wifi Sync.
  • Loredo
    Loredo
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Same here :-/

Too bad the iOS clients were not included in the open beta phase before, otherwise this issue most likely would have been appeared earlier...
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Apple limits the betas of iOS apps we are heavily limited in the number of beta testers we can use. But yes it would be very helpful if apple say increased there magic number of 100 devices to say 250 or go over the top and do 500. Each iOS device counts as 1 slot ie the iphone 3g, iphone 4 and ipad etc etc. So as you can see the number of beta testers goes down hill very quickly.
  • KraetzichriZ
    edited December 1969
    Dont tell us about problems, is there any solution for this?
  • Benad
    edited December 1969
    Exact same problem here. Going back to Wi-Fi sync.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    I activated the sync on the iPhone - it send 643 items
    I then activated the sync on the iPad - it send 643 items

I then added a note on the iPhone - it send the whole keychain again
    I then added a note on the iPad - it send the whole keychain again

So no matter what I do - 1P on the iPad and iPhone always send the entire keychain again and again

This is very strange. We will need to investigate to see what is happening.

I am sorry we don't have a better answer yet; Apple approved the new version right when I fell asleep last night (11pm) and we're just learning about this problem now.

One thing that would help is if you could log into dropbox.com and look at one of the files in your 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default folder and view what changed after the sync. You should be able to easily view all the revisions made to a file:

Dropbox_-_Revisions_-_Online_backup%2C_file_sync_and_sharing_made_easy.-3-20100723-113334.jpg

You can either review the two files yourself to see what the differences are or email both the old and new file to [email protected].
  • rvietri
    edited December 1969
    Hi Dave,

Verifying that I have the same problem. The difference appears to be simply with the order of the fields. Some have locationKey first, others uuid, etc.. The filesize and contents appear to be exactly the same though (order of fields excluded).
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    rvietri wrote:
    Hi Dave,

Verifying that I have the same problem. The difference appears to be simply with the order of the fields. Some have locationKey first, others uuid, etc.. The filesize and contents appear to be exactly the same though (order of fields excluded).

The most important field is "contentsHash". Please check if it is different. Thank you!
  • rvietri
    edited December 1969
    Ok, there is one other difference I noticed which is more significant. The encrypted passwords are different in all the file revisions. The initial few characters are the same, which I assume is some sort of encryption seed, but after that they are all different. The unencrypted password values have not changed though.
  • rvietri
    edited December 1969
    contentsHash values are exactly the same, find the relevant lines from 2 seperate files below:

File 1:
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX18ua+ne5bNrOLpwFQWcQaVblG2nNfUfzDmFL0BCGXncjfkFTy/LbYyW\u0000","contentsHash":"431d4f63"
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX198NhKobSuBsTplQvGOCfrarWhyUdWKbK3f1KJbBITcfDk/Xv9TtTlc\u0000","contentsHash":"431d4f63"

File 2:
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX1+I6fQ9+R2tv+GCHe3nmUq2d26EPBKi4NFQYr9hgssWh98HC5MSZfbq\u0000","contentsHash":"1028201d"
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX1/JIFnJcCQzF/iaUNpqdqpwpfV91s8OK6elNhaTzxEaL3JVQkT7FGg9\u0000","contentsHash":"1028201d"
  • mschicker
    edited December 1969
    Hi there!

I just compared the different revisions on dropbox.com and the only key that is different is the "encrypted" key. And it is different in every revision. Hope that helps!

Regards,
    Markus
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    rvietri wrote:
    contentsHash values are exactly the same, find the relevant lines from 2 seperate files below:

File 1:
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX18ua+ne5bNrOLpwFQWcQaVblG2nNfUfzDmFL0BCGXncjfkFTy/LbYyW\u0000","contentsHash":"431d4f63"
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX198NhKobSuBsTplQvGOCfrarWhyUdWKbK3f1KJbBITcfDk/Xv9TtTlc\u0000","contentsHash":"431d4f63"

File 2:
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX1+I6fQ9+R2tv+GCHe3nmUq2d26EPBKi4NFQYr9hgssWh98HC5MSZfbq\u0000","contentsHash":"1028201d"
    "encrypted":"U2FsdGVkX1/JIFnJcCQzF/iaUNpqdqpwpfV91s8OK6elNhaTzxEaL3JVQkT7FGg9\u0000","contentsHash":"1028201d"

Thank you very much. It means that the data is exactly the same. The encrypted contents will be different every time the data is re-encrypted because this is how the encryption works.

Our current guess is that this problem might be related to the fact that, in some cases, 1Password on iPhone does not parse the file modification time sent by Dropbox.

I wonder if you are located outside North America or using a non-English locale on your computer?
  • Peter B. Schaufuss
    Peter B. Schaufuss
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm in Denmark, using Danish language and timezone is CET+0 - and I have the problem of constant syncing.

br
    Peter
  • rvietri
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    Thank you very much. It means that the data is exactly the same. The encrypted contents will be different every time the data is re-encrypted because this is how the encryption works.

Our current guess is that this problem might be related to the fact that, in some cases, 1Password on iPhone does not parse the file modification time sent by Dropbox.

I wonder if you are located outside North America or using a non-English locale on your computer?

Yes, my language is set to British English and timezone is CET (UTC+1)
This discussion has been closed.