Google Drive Sync Support?

Hello,

I saw the KB article that Google Drive (among other leading solutions) is under consideration for a future release. I didn't see anyone talking about it, so wanted you to know that there are eager Google Drive users who are looking forward to its support!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely pass your vote for this along to the developers.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Freway01
    Freway01
    Community Member

In February of this year, DTeare posted:

"Both Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive appear to meet a very important technical requirement we have of a syncing system (native file system access), but we need to make sure they satisfy other requirements as well. We're checking out these cloud file storage and sync services to see if they can be an option for syncing your 1Password data file. Although we don't have anything to announce just yet, you can be sure that this is a topic near and dear to our hearts".

Last year when I purchased 1Password, I held off implementing it because I didn't want to use DropBox, preferring to wait on Google Drive and Microsoft's SkyDrive for sharing data between devices (replacing the old thumb-drive). Both are now out and being embraced by many users, with me being one, who has settled on using on using either Google Drive or Microsoft SkyDrive. to share data between the various Windows machines and Android smartphones.

What's the latest status of 1Password officially announcing that they support both Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive? I've started testing using 1Passwork on my test Windows 8.1 machine and once I get all of my login ID's and passwords entered into 1Password on that machine I'd like to roll-out 1 Password on all of the machines I use. When I do that, I'll start changing passwords to 1Password generated passwords.

Until 1Password officially announces support of Google Drive (my preferred drive) I'm in a holding pattern. What gives?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

You may be interested to read Jeff's post about alternative syncing methods in another thread. As he mentions in a later post in that same thread, we really try to avoid sliding into the vaporware business. We try not to promise things until we are absolutely certain that they can be delivered. That usually means that we don't promise anything before it is delivered. It may be that Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive are never supported, but it may happen sometime in the near future. We simply don't like to announce these sorts of things before they are ready and available for folks to actually use. As stated in the support article from which you quoted, "We're checking out these cloud file storage and sync services to see if they can be an option for syncing your 1Password data file."

I am not saying we can't or won't, but I do want to be clear that we have never made any promise in this regard. With great ambiguity comes great agility. Customer demand is one of many factors that plays into the allocation of developer resources. We have the best customers on the planet, and I am reminded of it time after time. You obviously care enough to contact us about this. Thank you for your passion! I wish more folks in this world shared it.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I have passed your vote for this along to the developers and would be happy to pass any additional feedback to them as well.

• Freway01
    Freway01
    Community Member

Sorry, I wasn't looking for a commitment, I was asking if there was any movement.

Both Google and Microsoft are really pushing their drives. If you've played with Windows 8.1, you'll see that Microsoft is making a big push to have users use SkyDrive and their 'Windows' account so your user experience is the same on all of you Windows 8 devices.Personnaly I use the Google drive because of my Android phone.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Sorry, I wasn't looking for a commitment, I was asking if there was any movement.

I have made sure the devs got your vote for this, but as a rule we don't discuss future plans (which includes current development). I'm sorry I don't have more information I can share with you right now. Alternative syncing methods are always something we are evaluating and/or working on, though.

This discussion has been closed.