Windows app vs. new Edge (Chrome based) browser extension: EACH require login. Expected behavior?

BillStiles77
BillStiles77
Community Member
edited April 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

The app and the browser extension have slightly different features, and I often switch between them. However, they each seem to require a separate login, i.e. start the computer, open the browser, click on the browser extension and you have to enter your master password. Later (even immediately) open the Windows 1Password app, and it asks you to enter your master password again. Or, start the computer, open the 1Password app, enter master password, select a login then select "open and fill" in the web site field - the browser extension forces you to enter the master password again. Is this expected behavior? Any way (setting?) to let the two "communicate" so that I only have to enter my master password once (in either place)? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 1909 (OS build 18363.778)
Sync Type: ???
Referrer: forum-search:windows app vs. browser extension

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BillStiles77,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Are you sure you are not using 1Password X in the new Edge on your side? The behaviour you described sounds like you have 1Password X in your Edge and it would explain everything.

The thing is that we do not have a desktop app integration in 1Password X on Windows yet, that is why you have to unlock 1Password twice: 1Password X works entirely in your browser and it is separate from 1Password 7 for Windows.

If you want 1Password extension in the browser to unlock with 1Password 7 for Windows, please remove 1Password X and install our companion extension instead.

Let me know if it works as expected. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• BillStiles77
    BillStiles77
    Community Member

Thank you very much Greg! I'm actually using 1Password on two PC's; a laptop and a tablet (and on a iPhone). After reading your reply I checked each PC. Sure enough I managed to get a different browser extension on each one! The tablet (with the extension you suggested) works as I had hoped; the laptop works as I described above. FWIW, I remember loading the extension on the laptop, seeing "1Password X" and thinking "Huh? I don't remember that from the other time I got the extension. I guess it's the same thing." Doh!

Now, my question is: companion extension vs. 1Password X? Comparison overview? Pros and cons of each? Market position of each (in other words, why are there two versions)?

Thanks again for your help!

• Most of that is really rather subjective, @BillStiles77. The original purpose of 1Password X was to fill the gaps on systems where a desktop app can't be installed. Be that Linux or ChromeOS or a PC that is subject to restrictions where you can't install software, 1Password X was there to have your back. After we released it, though, we had a lot of folks asking if it could be used alongside the desktop app or instead of the desktop app on systems where they could install software. The answer to those questions were all yes, of course, and who are we to stop anyone doing that? They were asking because they really enjoyed the filling experience and if that experience is your preference, then I say do whatever works for you.

Now, 1Password X certainly has its detractors as well. It can't use Windows Hello and does unlock separately from the desktop app so might not be the best fit for everyone that needs both. It's also a bit on the bigger side from a UI perspective, so while I love using it on my desktop with its giant monitor, I love it a bit less on my 12" Surface where screen real estate is at more of a premium. The common theme to all of this, though? Personal preference. I like using my keyboard exclusively when possible, so the inline menu and easy keyboard navigation that comes with it is a major plus for me, but others that like using their browser's filling for certain data find it gets in the way of that process making it a con for them. My best answer to the pros/cons question has been and remains to try using both. See which brings you more joy and discard the other.

Now, ultimately, having two extensions is a bit of a pain. It was done at the outset because 1Password X was going to be for a very specific audience that would never install a desktop app so the potential for confusion there was minimal when things were positioned and presented that way. In practice, though, it didn't work out that the folks using or wanting to use 1Password X fit neatly into that box and that's made confusion a bit more likely. But, we still needed 1Password X to be available for those who lacked another option and we needed the companion extension for folks who really valued things like Touch ID or Windows Hello and a shared lock state so we couldn't really take either away. At the end of the day, we will likely combine the two into something that fits both sets of needs and takes some features from 1Password X and others from the companion extension, but that's a really big project and not one we'll be able to polish of any time soon. Until then, though, we'll just have to do our best to highlight the one we think is going to work best in each situation and continue to iterate so we can combat that confusion as best we can. :chuffed:

• BillStiles77
    BillStiles77
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

Thank you so much bundkate! I very much appreciate your detailed explanation!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @BillStiles77,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :chuffed: :+1: I am glad to hear we were able to help and answer your questions.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.