Unable to sign in from work machine

Hi,

I have a working login that i've been using without problem for more than 6 months on W10, iOS and Android.
I've decided to set 1Password on my work machine (Inside corporate network, running Windows 7).
Even though I have signed in successfully via browser onto my.1password.com and performed 'Add your account directly' step (Screenshot attached), I get the sign in error. (Screenshot also attached - this should rule out that I'm entering the secret key wrong)
I am confident I have typed in master password correctly and have attempted this this step several times.

Is there known issue with a win7 machine?

Thank you.

1Password Version: NA
Extension Version: NA
OS Version: Win7 Pro SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hmukai,

If it is your work computer, could you please tell us more about your network setup? Do you use any kind of VPN/proxy/firewall there?

It is possible that this issue is related to this and the error message you see is not correct. Also, please tell me what version of 1Password 7 you installed. Is it the latest one?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• hmukai
    hmukai
    Community Member

Hello Greg,

Yes, this is a computer within my employer's corporate network so I can say with confidence that both proxy and firewall are involved.
    Is there any diagnostic tests I can perform to prove the point?
    Also, 1password app I am using is of the latest version.

Thanks,
    Hide

• bundtkate
    edited April 2020

More than likely, the issue is that your work network is, in some way, blocking 1Password from connecting to the server, @hmukai. When 1Password isn't able to authenticate, it's not going to know why unless it gets a server response of some sort. So, when it's blocked, it falls back on the most common scenario – a problem with your credentials.

The normal next step here would be to whitelist 1Password in any security software that may be blocking its internet connection, but that's not always practical in a corporate environment since you may not have any control over that software. You could ask IT to help out, but that would depend on them being willing to do so and exceptions aren't always something they're able to grant even if they are willing to a lend a hand. Given you're able to sign in via your browser, the simplest path forward would probably be to use 1Password X on this PC, assuming a compatible browser:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

1Password X works all on its own (no desktop app required) and exists exclusively in your browser so it's less apt to be interfered with by firewalls and proxies. If you can sign in to your account in your browser, 1Password X is going to work fine 9.9 times out of 10 and won't require any network futzing like the desktop app likely will. I'd start by giving that a try and seeing if it will server on your work machine. :+1:

• hmukai
    hmukai
    Community Member

Yes your guess was correct! I got around the issue by using the browser extension, thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hmukai,

On behalf of Kate you are welcome! :) We are glad to hear that 1Password X works for you on your work PC.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help.

Stay safe,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.