Closing out/locking 1Password

Options
prime
prime
Community Member

I can’t remember what update it was, but I miss it when I lock 1Password, it use to show it closing, then exist it out. Now when I hit the lock, it just exits out. When this 1st happened, I click on 1Password to make sure it was actually locked. Not a biggie, just something I thought it was cool, seeing it close.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime!

By "seeing it close", do you maybe mean the lock animation?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana yes! :)
    It was nice to see that, it cool knowing it was closed

• Yea, that animation was a casualty of 7.4's changes to the underlying 1Password architecture, @prime. Until recently, 1Password was just one process that changed states. Now, it's actually multiple processes that stop and start as needed and as states change. This helps a ton with memory management and makes it easier to ensure that memory is cleared when we need it to be, but it makes it essentially impossible to maintain that continuity between locked and unlocked. Technically, I suppose we could show the animation locking things down, then end the main UI process and start the lock process in the background, but that would be equal to making an active choice to slow things down for the sake of something purely aesthetic and we didn't feel like we could really justify that.

Now, that's not to say that animation is gone for good. It very well might be, but this way of doing things is new to us and it may well turn out that there is a way to bring it back without impacting performance we just haven't thought of yet. As we continue to iterate on and improve this new structure, I'm sure we'll keep those lost aesthetics in mind and, if an opportunity presents itself to bring one back, we'd be thrilled to do it. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.