Question v3.3.0 and Dropbox

Navstar
Navstar
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I've been already using 1Password with Dropbox for months. My keychain is already in my Dropbox.
I'm a little confused by the v3.3.0 instructions. Do I need to move it somewhere else in my Dropbox?

Comments

• roustem
    edited December 1969
    No, all you need to do on Mac is to upgrade to version 3.3.0.

It automatically creates a special file on Dropbox that helps the iPhone version to file your data.
  • rbrt
    edited December 1969
    I have a Tiger machine using 1Password 2.12.1 (version 3 is 10.5+). I've been WiFi-synching successfully with the iPhone Pro version.

Is the special file required for the iPhone version (i.e. will it just ignore the Dropbox if that file doesn't exist)?

If^H^H When I get a new Mac that runs 1Password 3, will I have to install the Dropbox client software on the Mac or does the new version access Dropbox directly?

Thanks!
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    You will need to install Dropbox on your Mac as it does all the heavy lifting on the desktop. On iPhone, the application accesses your Dropbox account directly.
  • rbrt
    edited December 1969
    If I were to use Dropbox with the Tiger Mac running 2.12.1, would the iPhone see the file and sync or does that only work with the new and shiny 3.3 version? It's OK if it's not supported officially, I'm just wondering what would happen (nothing, big disaster, or possibly working). Thanks.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    rbrt wrote:
    If I were to use Dropbox with the Tiger Mac running 2.12.1, would the iPhone see the file and sync or does that only work with the new and shiny 3.3 version? It's OK if it's not supported officially, I'm just wondering what would happen (nothing, big disaster, or possibly working). Thanks.

It should work fine. You will still need 3.3 to create the "data pointer" file so that the iPhone application can find the data file on Dropbox. You can do this manually though.
  • rbrt
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    It should work fine. You will still need 3.3 to create the "data pointer" file so that the iPhone application can find the data file on Dropbox. You can do this manually though.

Oh, so now I'm tempted to try this. Since I cannot run 3.3 on Tiger, where do I get a data pointer file? I'll use a hex editor and make the file myself if I have to.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    rbrt wrote:
    Oh, so now I'm tempted to try this. Since I cannot run 3.3 on Tiger, where do I get a data pointer file? I'll use a hex editor and make the file myself if I have to.

It is just a text file named ".ws.agile.1Password.settings". It should be stored in the root of the Dropbox folder, for example:
    /Users/your-user-name/Dropbox/.ws.agile.1Password.settings

Note that the file name starts with "." and it by default it will be hidden on Mac.

The file should contain one line, without a line break, that is a path to the .agilekeychain on Dropbox. For example, if you store 1Password.agilekeychain in the 1Password folder on Dropbox then the file will contain:

1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

That's all. Good luck!
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    One more thing...

I forgot that we made some minor changes to the data format. While the Tiger version should read them fine, you may see conflicts generated during sync.

Because of that, unfortunately, I cannot recommend syncing Tiger version with iPhone.
  • rbrt
    edited December 1969
    Fantastic! It's working! (Don't try this at home, kids - I did use HexEdit to get rid of the trailing line break)
  • rbrt
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:
    One more thing...

I forgot that we made some minor changes to the data format. While the Tiger version should read them fine, you may see conflicts generated during sync.

Because of that, unfortunately, I cannot recommend syncing Tiger version with iPhone.

I don't know, I spent ~30 minutes trying to break it (creating items on 2.12.1, and on the iPhone, and changing properties on either), and it always worked. So I'll proceed with caution, but for now this beats WiFi sync by a mile.
This discussion has been closed.