Ignore Watchtower entries

SystemSystem

Team Member
in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Watchtower tags to stop alerting.

Comments

• I have started to use 1P login data items to save websites and email addresses where I have subscribed to newsletters, but have not created an account. (To explain: I have my own email domain, and generate a new email address for every distinct website, so I need a place to store the pairs)

In this case 1P requires me to "create" a password before I can save. I tend to use the password value 'x' which Watchtower, quite rightly, objects to:

This password appears in a database of exposed passwords. Change your password to something else. Learn more about the haveibeenpwned.com service.

It would be useful if I could tag these 1P pseudo-logins so that Watchtower would ignore
    Thank you, Andrew

PS maybe there is another way for me to use 1P to achieve the desired storing of website and email address pairs: I am not aware of a different data item other than login which I could use. This could be solved by custom data items, but I suspect that is another story :)

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @AndrewParker!

In this case 1P requires me to "create" a password before I can save.

What process are you following to do this? Can you maybe share the list of steps you are following, and where in 1Password you are trying to do this (the 1Password for Mac app, for example, or the browser extension).

Thank you!

• edited May 10

Gosh @ag_ana, I cannot recall.
    So far, I have three of this "type" of login. I use 1P latest version on Mac and iOS/iPadOS, but don't know on which platform each was created.
    The next time I encounter the situation where I am signing-up to an email newsletter, without creating an account, I will capture the process and either update this discussion. It isn't something I predictably find myself doing.
    Thank you, Andrew

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Sounds good :+1::)

• @ag_ana, I was able to reproduce the issue yesterday using my iPad running iPadOS 13.5 and 1P 7.5.2.

I visited a website to make a purchase. I wasn't interested in creating an account; simply to place an order.

Because I like to keep a record of when and where I have handed-out email addresses, I tried to use 1P to record this visit.

I invoked 1Password by clicking the Share icon.

At this point I have the URL / email address pair which I hope to capture. 1P will not allow me to 'Save' until I add a password. I add the value 'x', then save the Login item. Later in 1P on my iMac, I will run Watchtower to reveal those Login items with weak passwords, and will edit the Login item to delete the password value.

I appreciate that 1P isn't designed to save URL / email address pairs; it is in the name: it is designed around passwords. It is a bit cumbersome. I don't think there is another data type in 1P which I could use to capture URL / email address pairs, and to do it from within a web dialog.

I don't wish to have to use another place, eg. a spreadsheet, to store these pairs. Also it may be the case that should I order again from this retailer, I may choose to create an account.

Thank you, Andrew

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

I appreciate that 1P isn't designed to save URL / email address pairs; it is in the name: it is designed around passwords.

I think you've exactly hit the nail on the head. :) In a way you're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. I'm not sure this is a case that we're going to be able to better accommodate in 1Password, but for what it's worth... You can empty the password field after saving.

Before:

After:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Thank you @Ben. At least my understanding of 1P corroborates with yours.
    Best wishes, Andrew

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file