crash reporting

codasalt
codasalt
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have a few questions about 1Password's crash reporting system that is triggered when the application crashes. I understand that no password information is included in the crash reports.

1. If the user clicks the x on the red crash report popup, what happens to the crash report?
  2. If the red crash report popup is active and the user fully closes 1Password by right clicking on the tray icon and choosing exit, without interacting with the prompt, what happens to the crash report?
  3. If the user clicks on the body of the red crash report popup, does 1Password prompt for additional confirmation before submitting the report?
  4. Is there a way to tell 1Password to never submit and never prompt to submit reports, either via a user-accessible setting or some more arcane method like the registry / group policy?
  5. Does Agile Bits have a formal policy for permanently deleting submitted crash reports after a certain period of time?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Happy to help, @codasalt.

1. If the user clicks the x on the red crash report popup, what happens to the crash report?

In this case, the crash report is discarded from your system. Some of that info can be retained as Windows saves some crash reporting info (if you've ever seen a crash, you can peek at this in Event Viewer – it's fairly generic stuff), but the report 1Password generates is discarded.

1. If the red crash report popup is active and the user fully closes 1Password by right clicking on the tray icon and choosing exit, without interacting with the prompt, what happens to the crash report?

The crash report will persist locally in this case and you'll be prompted again the next time you unlock until you either dismiss the prompt or submit the report.

1. If the user clicks on the body of the red crash report popup, does 1Password prompt for additional confirmation before submitting the report?

This will submit the report right away. As it says – click to submit. I can understand some reasonable concern here about mis-clicks, so I feel it's worth noting that it's not just that the reports include no password information, they are fully anonymized. We cannot in any way connect those reports to any specific account or individual. I've been the subject of some frustration on occasion when I've had to ask folks to generate a new one after they wrote in asking about one submitted because our development team quite literally could not pick yours out of the pile even if you asked them to.

1. Is there a way to tell 1Password to never submit and never prompt to submit reports, either via a user-accessible setting or some more arcane method like the registry / group policy?

Not at the moment, but I could potentially see that being an option in the future as we expand what can be configured at the time of install for folks using Group Policy.

1. Does Agile Bits have a formal policy for permanently deleting submitted crash reports after a certain period of time?

This one I don't have an exact answer for as it's outside of what I generally have access to. I'd have to assume submitted crash reports are purged after a time as their useful lifespan is inherently limited. As soon as we release a new version of 1Password, crashes from the old version are quickly obsolete and our overarching philosophy has always been that if we don't absolutely need any customer-provided information, we either shouldn't collect it or we should purge it as soon as it's no longer needed. But, I've asked our development team about exactly how that's handled so I can give you a more precise answer. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.