Does the 1TouchPro Bookmarklet work on anyone's iPad?

robertb
robertb
Community Member
edited April 2010 in iOS
I'm just wondering if anyone is having success with the lookup bookmarklet on their iPad. Mine just launches 1PasswordPro and it goes to a grey screen and does nothing else.

if it works for some people and not for others, i will spend some time fooling around with it to see if i can get it to work. if it doesn't work for anyone, then i won't waste my time.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    robertb, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

As you've noted, the "Logins" bookmarklet (http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/logins_bookmarklet.html) does not work yet on the iPad.

Since you seem to be using 1Password Pro, though, you can use the "Lookup in 1Password" bookmarklet (http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/pro_edition.html, second half of page) instead.

I hope you'll find it even more convenient.
  • robertb
    robertb
    Community Member
    edited April 2010
    David,
    thanks for your help.

yes i have 1password pro, i made a mistake in the title and corrected it.

By any chance have you reversed the two problems David?

I can't get the "Lookup in 1Password" bookmarklet, that you suggest (http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/pro_edition.html, second half of page), to work. I have created the bookmarklet as instructed and have triple checked to make sure that it is perfect. When I go to a website and then select the "Lookup in 1Password" bookmarklet that I set up, it closes safari, launches 1PasswordPro, then I briefly see the 1Password login page (that looks like a safe) and then it goes to a grey screen. So my first question is: is this happening to 100% of iPad users or only some? If anyone is having success then I will keep trying.

I can't get your first suggestion, the "Logins" bookmarklet (http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/logins_bookmarklet.html) to work on the Mac since that's where i have 1Password3 installed and is what is shown in the sample screen shots. Your reply states that it "does not work yet on the iPad."

There are a couple of problems.
    - the instructions in step 2 say "You must add an Access Code of four digits at the top of the screen…" and "We recommend using a strong, hard-to-guess password, ideally different from your Master Password." Those two statements are contradictory; is it a four digit code or a strong password?
    - the second problem is that when I create a new "Logins Bookmarklet" by clicking on the gear icon in the lower left, it is empty. It does not show a list of logins as it does in the example. In fact none of the objects under SYNC (my iPhone or iPad or the newly created Safari logins) show ANY items. How can I get this list to display my logins?

1zqy5wi.jpg

thanks,
    robert b
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2010
    robertb wrote:
    By any chance have you reversed the two problems David?

Rats! I did, indeed, reverse the two solutions. I apologize for the error, robertb.

What I meant to say was...
    As you've noted, the "Lookup in 1Password" bookmarklet does not work yet on the iPad.

That said, you can use the "1Password Logins" bookmarklet (http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/logins_bookmarklet.html), instead.

I hope you'll find it even more convenient.

Regarding your questions about the 1Password Logins bookmarklet, which should work fine on your iPad:

- the instructions in step 2 say "You must add an Access Code of four digits at the top of the screen…" and "We recommend using a strong, hard-to-guess password, ideally different from your Master Password." Those two statements are contradictory; is it a four digit code or a strong password?

We're constantly working to improve our documentation, but this one just slipped through the cracks. It shouldn't say "Access Code of four digits"; you can make it as strong and hard-to-guess as you're willing to type every time you invoke the bookmarklet on your iPad. We'll try to get that fixed in the documentation.

- the second problem is that when I create a new "Logins Bookmarklet" by clicking on the gear icon in the lower left, it is empty. It does not show a list of logins as it does in the example. In fact none of the objects under SYNC (my iPhone or iPad or the newly created Safari logins) show ANY items. How can I get this list to display my logins?

Here, I'm just a little confused, because the screen shot shows your iPhone (rather than the 1Password Logins bookmarklet) selected under the SYNC heading. When your iPhone or iPad is selected there, the screen should list all the folders you've created that contain items; when the 1Password Logins bookmarklet is selected, the screen should list all the folders you're created that contain Login items.

The fact that no folders are listed there makes me wonder whether you've created any folders. Can you take another screen shot with the FOLDERS heading expanded, so the All and Unfiled smart folders are visible in the left pane? Thanks!

I really am sorry for the confusion, robertb. I'll try to do better in response to your next post in this thread.

Thanks for your patience!
  • robertb
    robertb
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Success!

you are right that the "1Password Login" IS more convenient than the lookup.

The instructions on http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/logins_bookmarklet.html don't mention having to make another folder in the FOLDERS section so I didn't have any. That's why the field was blank in my screen shot. It was blank in all three sections (my iPhone, iPad, and the newly created Safari logins). As soon as I created a new folder and dragged a login item to it, it showed up down below. Now I understand but I don't find this to be intuitive nor is it mentioned in the instructions.

Please don't take my comments as being critical. I hope you can use my suggestions to improve your user guide. The product is good and I appreciate the work that has gone into it but all that effort is squandered when the user gets frustrated because it doesn't work.

thanks for your support david.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Well, you don't have to create folders; they're just provided as one of the ways to organize your data.

Though it's not intuitive, only items in folders can be included in "selective sync'ing" of the 1Password Logins bookmarklet, presumably because of the way those Logins are presented in the browser. (The "sync all" option isn't limited to items in folders.)

Thanks again for catching the error in my original post, robertb, and making me think through the explanation again. :)
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    robertb wrote:
    The instructions on http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/logins_bookmarklet.html don't mention having to make another folder in the FOLDERS section so I didn't have any. That's why the field was blank in my screen shot. It was blank in all three sections (my iPhone, iPad, and the newly created Safari logins). As soon as I created a new folder and dragged a login item to it, it showed up down below. Now I understand but I don't find this to be intuitive nor is it mentioned in the instructions.

I'm sorry for the confusion, but there's something else going on here. If the area is blank, it means that 1Password doesn't think you have a login item saved for that site. It is not necessary to create a folder and drag items to it in order to create the Logins bookmarklet. I have no custom folders (only the default "All" and "Unfiled" smart folders), and use the 1Password Logins bookmarklet regularly. All my login items are present.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Gita, I assume you're using the "sync all" option, in which case (as I should've stated above, and have now added to that post) you're not limited to Login items that are assigned to folders.

Sorry for the lack of specificity in my first attempt at that post.

(This thread is not a shining example of clarity in communication on my part. :-?)
  • jneyer
    edited December 1969
    I probably should have started another thread but is Agile also aware the "Look up in 1Password" bookmarklet is broken on the iPhone too? You don't get the gray screen like the iPad. But it takes you to the app, lets you enter your passwords, then when you copy the password it either doesn't return you to Safari or the app just crashes. I'm all for feature parity but this is the wrong way to go about it. <kidding>

Anyway wanted to let someone know something has really gone wrong with this.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    racermtb

When it crashes on you are you copying out just the password, or the password and user name etc.

A few of us in a different thread noted that the crash occurred when you only try to copy 1 item. When trying the multiple copy it returns to safari and the 1p clipboard. ?
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    racermtb wrote:
    I probably should have started another thread but is Agile also aware the "Look up in 1Password" bookmarklet is broken on the iPhone too? You don't get the gray screen like the iPad. But it takes you to the app, lets you enter your passwords, then when you copy the password it either doesn't return you to Safari or the app just crashes. I'm all for feature parity but this is the wrong way to go about it. <kidding>

Anyway wanted to let someone know something has really gone wrong with this.

Yes, thanks, we are aware and hope to have it fixed soon. We're sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried the "Login to 1Password Bookmarklet"? It's working, and some folks even like it better than the Lookup Bookmarklet. This link will show you how to create a Logins bookmarklet in 1Password for Mac for your less secure logins and use that in Mobile Safari.
    This link explains using the Logins bookmarklet.

Give it a try and see how you like it. Cheers!
  • jneyer
    edited December 1969
    @macpug Yes, thanks. I've been using it and it's convenient. But the use of the javascript bookmark is only a temporary workaround since it's admittedly less secure.

@thightower yes it's when I'm copying a single password. I didn't know you could copy both. It's not evident from the UI how you'd go about doing that so I'll resort to the docs. Thanks.
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    racermtb wrote:
    @macpug Yes, thanks. I've been using it and it's convenient. But the use of the javascript bookmark is only a temporary workaround since it's admittedly less secure.

I'm glad you've been using it. True, I wouldn't want to use it for my bank info from Starbucks, but for general low-security logins, it's great.
    racermtb wrote:
    @thightower yes it's when I'm copying a single password. I didn't know you could copy both. It's not evident from the UI how you'd go about doing that so I'll resort to the docs. Thanks.

You can check this link for Quick Copy and Paste instructions. Let us know if you need further assistance. You can always send us an email to support@agile.ws if you need to as well. Cheers! ;)
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    racermtb wrote:

1Password Pro enables you to copy multiple items at once:
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/multi_item_clipboard.html
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited May 2010
    Thanks for the assist, G! My bad, racermtb. Got my copy/paste mixed up. You're already copying/pasting, so the multi-item copy/paste that G linked for you will make you a happy camper :)

Also racer, I apologize, but I misread your post up there, the Lookup Bookmarklet is not broken on the iPhone. I read it as 'iPad', so sorry about that. Are you still having trouble with it? Are you using the most recent update? If not, please update to the most recent version then see how it goes.
  • jneyer
    edited December 1969
    macpug wrote:
    Thanks for the assist, G! My bad, racermtb. Got my copy/paste mixed up. You're already copying/pasting, so the multi-item copy/paste that G linked for you will make you a happy camper :)

Also racer, I apologize, but I misread your post up there, the Lookup Bookmarklet is not broken on the iPhone. I read it as 'iPad', so sorry about that. Are you still having trouble with it? Are you using the most recent update? If not, please update to the most recent version then see how it goes.

The iPhone app isn't working for me as well as the iPad app. I don't get the gray screen like the iPad. I can launch 1P through the bookmarklet, enter my codes and get to the login information. When I copy, the app appears to crash to the home screen and not return to safari. I tried multi-copy from the demo too and that takes me back to safari and launches the 1P clipboard...but unfortunately the clipboard is completely empty.

I tried this twice with these forums and same behavior. I'm running stock OS 3.1.3 and 1PPro 3.1.1. I tried deleting, reinstalling, resetting the iPhone and nothing seems to help. The only reliable way is to use the un-"pro" method of launching the 1P app separately or using the 1P Logins javascript bookmark.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    racermtb wrote:
    When I copy, the app appears to crash to the home screen and not return to safari. I tried multi-copy from the demo too and that takes me back to safari and launches the 1P clipboard...but unfortunately the clipboard is completely empty.

I'm sorry to hear this. We've had a few reports that copying just the password causes a return to the home screen and not Mobile Safari, but I haven't been able to reproduce the problem myself. After you tap the button in the top-right corner, you are tapping each data item so that a checkmark appears next to it, and then tapping the "Done" button in the top-right corner, is that correct?
  • jneyer
    edited December 1969
    justG wrote:
    I'm sorry to hear this. We've had a few reports that copying just the password causes a return to the home screen and not Mobile Safari, but I haven't been able to reproduce the problem myself. After you tap the button in the top-right corner, you are tapping each data item so that a checkmark appears next to it, and then tapping the "Done" button in the top-right corner, is that correct?

That is correct. When I do that I return to Safari, Safari presents the 1P clipboard but the clipboard contents are completely empty.
    When I select a single item to copy, the app exits to the home screen and does not return to Safari.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    racermtb wrote:
    That is correct. When I do that I return to Safari, Safari presents the 1P clipboard but the clipboard contents are completely empty.
    When I select a single item to copy, the app exits to the home screen and does not return to Safari.

When you return to Mobile Safari you have to Paste the contents stored while in the 1Password app. We can't make Mobile Safari do this on its own so it's a manual step. Please try this and let us know.

We're aware of the issue of Mobile Safari not always re-launching when you've only copied one item from 1Password. We'll try to get that resolved soon.
  • jneyer
    edited December 1969
    @MartyS, I guess I should have paid closer attention (or even bothered to read the instructions on the clipboard) (blush) Yes, that resolved my "empty clipboard" problem. Thank you. The single paste issue is pretty consistent with me though.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    racermtb wrote:
    @MartyS, I guess I should have paid closer attention (or even bothered to read the instructions on the clipboard) (blush) Yes, that resolved my "empty clipboard" problem. Thank you. The single paste issue is pretty consistent with me though.

I'm glad that you got things working. Following the instructions seems to help. ;) We're working on the single-value Copy issue so that will complete the set of manually initiated data transfer between the 1Password apps and Mobile Safari.
  • j33per
    j33per
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I have got 1Password Pro and wish to use it on both my iPhone and iPad. All is working fine with this bookmarklet business on my iPhone. On the iPad I have the same issue as this thread initiator.

The solutions suggested are confusing me no end. There appears to be a solution for Safari on a Mac which is supposed be able to be used on an iPad also?

Clear instructions on being able to use Mobile Safari on my iPad and retrieving login details from 1Password Pro would be very useful. Perhaps I'm simply intellectually challenged but that's exactly the reason for using iPhone and iPad as it SHOULD all be easy.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    j33per wrote:
    I have got 1Password Pro and wish to use it on both my iPhone and iPad. All is working fine with this bookmarklet business on my iPhone. On the iPad I have the same issue as this thread initiator.

The solutions suggested are confusing me no end. There appears to be a solution for Safari on a Mac which is supposed be able to be used on an iPad also?

Clear instructions on being able to use Mobile Safari on my iPad and retrieving login details from 1Password Pro would be very useful. Perhaps I'm simply intellectually challenged but that's exactly the reason for using iPhone and iPad as it SHOULD all be easy.

Hi j33per, and welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry for the confusion. The bookmarklet that you are trying to use is called the "Look up in 1Password" bookmarklet because it takes you back to the app to get your password. This is the one that is not implemented in the iPad version. However, the "Logins" bookmarklet works on any version, but you have to create it on your desktop with 1Password 3 and then sync it.

This is because the Logins bookmarklet itself actually contains all of your login information, encrypted with your access code. It will allow you to enter login information much like you would in Safari. In order to make it, though, you need 1Password for Mac. Please see this article about creating and setting up a Logins bookmarklet.

I hope that helps!
  • REBELinBLUE
    REBELinBLUE
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Is there any ETA on when the lookup bookmarklet will be fixed? It is the one thing making the browsing experience frustrating on the iPad. Don't fancy having the passwords bookmarklet so I'll obviously just have to live with it for now (not that I could for a while as I'm awa from home with just my iPad)
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Is there any ETA on when the lookup bookmarklet will be fixed? It is the one thing making the browsing experience frustrating on the iPad. Don't fancy having the passwords bookmarklet so I'll obviously just have to live with it for now (not that I could for a while as I'm awa from home with just my iPad)

While there isn't an ETA, we are aware of the issue and do plan to address it in an update for 1Password Pro running on the iPad.
This discussion has been closed.