Bug: Adding a 1P account to an expired-trial 1P7 instance keeps local vault read-only

I just started a 1Password.com trial but I wanted to keep my data synced via Dropbox instead of 1Password.com. When I logged into the Windows app, the app prompted me to migrate to 1Password.com but I dismissed that. (And the "read-only" banner was removed)

However, my local vault remained read-only (+ button disabled if I switch to it directly instead of "All Vaults"), and I couldn't set it as my primary vault in settings. (It was in the list but grayed out) Restarting the app fixed it and I now have my local vault set as primary.

Was this a bug because I had an expired app trial, or is this intentional to drive users to migrate to 1Password.com?

1Password Version: 7.6.777
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 x64 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900)
Sync Type: Dropbox + 1Password.com personal account

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Smileybarry,

It sounds like you bumped into the refresh issue in the current version of 1Password 7 for Windows. I believe if you locked/unlocked the app, it would sync your data properly and activated your copy of the app (since you added your 1Password account there). Sorry for these troubles.

Is there a particular reason why you want to use 1Password account and a local vault in 1Password? Please let me know. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member

I don't know what @Smileybarry's reason is. My reason is that I want to remain in control of my data and I am pretty stubborn about that. I understand that 1Password thinks that they have all the bases covered. The one feature that you killed was the one I depended on.

The flexibility to do it my way is a tremendous feature that gives me confidence that 1Password understands that square pegs CAN fit in round holes. Telling me I have to do it 1Password's way or the highway reminds me of Ma Bell. I didn't like their rules ether.

I am stubborn, I want to do it my way with local vaults and that is sufficient reason.

• We're not here to judge the sufficiency of any reason, @gweep, just to better understand y'all's needs. Our goal with 1Password.com is to make things easier while still providing y'all with the tools and features you need so the better we understand why it doesn't work for y'all, the better we can make our service in the future. Any reason is a perfectly good one and we're happy to hear about them all. :chuffed:

• gweep
    gweep
    Community Member

I manage a family full of apple devices. A lot of them are hand-me-downs which do not run the latest macOS or 1Password 7. With local vaults and my home server / dropbox sharing I can connect the entire family to our shared vaults. Even though they are running 1Password 6.

The old devices still work and get lots of use. I need to be able to support them.

By the way where are the new 1Password 7 vaults store on my mac? Somewhere deep in the library? If I could specify where they are located it may solve all the shared local vault issues. Assuming they are backwards compatible with 1Password 6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gweep:

1Password.com also supports 1Password 6, in case some of your devices are still running the older version ;) You can find the exact system requirements here.

By the way where are the new 1Password 7 vaults store on my mac?

1Password 7's data lives in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

This discussion has been closed.