Installing on Windows

Mrtn
Mrtn
Community Member

Hi guys and girls,

This might be a very rookie question... but so far I haven't been able to figure this one out. I also did not find a matching forum query so far. So I've been using 1Password on my iPhone and iPad for a while and, since I'm satisfied with it, I thought would also start using it on my Windows laptop. I went ahead and downloaded the Windows version. But then during the install, it prompted my to enter my secret key. By this, I was taken aback a little... do I really have to manually enter this long code on a Windows machine (which is full of telemetry btw). What am I missing here? Is there an easier way to verify my identity on a Windows setup? Do I really need to type in my key manually? Couldn't I just scan a QR code with my phone or something?

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mrtn!

But then during the install, it prompted my to enter my secret key. By this, I was taken aback a little... do I really have to manually enter this long code on a Windows machine (which is full of telemetry btw).

Yes, you need to enter the Secret Key every time you configure 1Password on a new device for the first time (not just on Windows). But you only have to do this once, when you add your 1Password account to the app. Afterwards, you will be unable to unlock 1Password by only entering your Master Password ;)

Do I really need to type in my key manually? Couldn't I just scan a QR code with my phone or something?

Yes, you can scan the QR code in your Emergency Kit directly on your Windows computer (no need for a phone for that), by using the Scan your Setup Code option when you are adding your 1Password account to the app for the first time.

Alternatively, you can also copy and paste the Secret Key directly from your Emergency Kit PDF.

• Mrtn
    Mrtn
    Community Member

WELP. I see.

I wanted to avoid either typing my secret key on a Windows machine or using the clipboard of a Windows machine for this. I thought there might be an option to authenticate myself during the Windows install by scanning a QR code on my laptop with my phone. I guess I won't install 1Password on my laptop then. Sorry for being this dense headed in this regard but this process is just too convoluted for me. I cannot, apparently, access my Emergency Kit unless I sign into my account on my laptop for which I need to type in my Secret Key which I would like to avoid. Thanks anyway.

• I'm not sure if this would meet your approval, @Mrtn, but here's something I've done in the past. Even though I don't mind typing my Secret Key when rarely needed, I constantly make typos in the darned thing so this makes it a lot easier for me:

1. Pull up your setup code on your phone:
      • Open and unlock 1Password.
      • Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts
      • Tap your account.
      • Tap View Setup Code to see your Setup Code.
    2. Take a picture of this with your PC's camera and save it.
    3. Use the Scan Setup Code > From my screen option in 1Password for Windows.

On my desktop, I'm still stuck typing any time I need to reinstall Windows, but this trick has made thing far easier on my Surface that does have a camera and it sounds like you do too so perhaps an option for you as well. :+1:

• doskei
    doskei
    Community Member

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/77998/using-qr-code-to-set-up-1p-in-new-windows-machine

Three years later, and this is still not available. Do y'all think that maybe this needs to be looked at by the devs? bundtkate's solution is VERY telling - they don't want us taking screenshots on our phone and moving the image to our computer, and taking a picture with our computer camera OUTSIDE of the 1P app amounts to the same thing. It saves this image, which contains the sensitive material, somewhere outside of 1Password.

This should really be added to the app. It's insulting that it's available on seemingly all the other platforms, but years later it's still not available here. Not offering this option undermines the security of the product.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@doskei:

It saves this image, which contains the sensitive material, somewhere outside of 1Password.

The setup code is included in your Emergency Kit too, which is also stored outside of your 1Password app for emergencies. So from that point of view there is no difference, and the setup code is not enough to access your data (since it does not include your Master Password).

This discussion has been closed.