1Password X for Safari 14?

Options
christiaanb
christiaanb
Community Member
edited July 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Is 1Password X for Safari 14 going to be possible? If so is there a beta we can start using?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @christiaanb!

1Password X is currently not available for Safari yet, but it's certainly something we are thinking about. We will keep monitoring the situation and see if there is anything we can do there as Safari keeps updating :+1:

• christiaanb
    christiaanb
    Community Member
    Options

👍🏼

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• keithv
    keithv
    Community Member
    Options

Just want to 1-up this. I love the 1PasswordX extension for Chrome and other browsers, it is super useful. However, the companion app for Safari is sorely lacking. I would love to see 1PasswordX for safari... pretty please?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for sharing your feedback on this as well @keithv :+1: I am glad to hear that you are enjoying 1Password X, so your feedback has been noted :)

• samclark
    samclark
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• 1jake
    1jake
    Community Member
    Options

Another +1 if 1Password X is ever going to take the place of 7.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your feedback as well @1jake :)

• MacSupport
    MacSupport
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @freediverx ,
    We've already brought the 1Password X experience to Safari in our latest beta of 1Password 7. Feel free to update your 1Password to the latest beta and enjoy the inline menu and smoother autofilling workflow: https://support.1password.com/betas/

• mrwiggles
    mrwiggles
    Community Member
    Options

This is all very confusing. The new Privacy.com integration requires 1PasswordX so those of us using Mac app are being left behind. But I see here via @ag_yaron saying "brought the 1Password X experience to Safari in our latest beta of 1Password 7. Feel free to update your 1Password". So can someone please explain how all this works? I want to use the new Privacy.com integration and continue to use version 7 on the Mac. How do I do this?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the confusion there @mrwiggles .

There is still no 1Password X extension for Safari, so the new Privacy.com integration is only available on Firefox or Chrome (or any other Chromium based browser) using the 1Password X extension.

This discussion here is about having the same autofilling abilities and workflow in Safari like 1Password X offers, which we did bring into Safari in our latest beta version of 1Password 7, but that is not actually a 1Password X version for Safari. We just modified the existing version of Safari's extension to look and work like 1Password X - autofilling wise.

We do hope to have that Privacy.com integration for Safari as well though, so keep your apps up to date :)

• samclark
    samclark
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the explanation @ag_yaron .

What this thread was about was asking about bringing the actual 1PasswordX extension to safari now that safari 14 supports the web extensions api (that 1PasswordX is built on).

However it sounds like this isn’t the plan and instead you are going to continue with both and try and to keep feature parity between them.

Is that right?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Options

We're definitely exploring options with the web extensions APIs for Safari 14, but I have nothing concrete to share at the moment other than the fact we've brought 1Password X's UI to Safari for now. Keeping parity is our main goal, but as I said, we're definitely exploring :)

• samclark
    samclark
    Community Member
    Options

Crystal.
    Thanks.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad I could help :+1:

• mrwiggles
    mrwiggles
    Community Member
    Options

This is all very confusing. The new Privacy.com integration requires 1PasswordX so those of us using Mac app are being left behind. But I see here via @ag_yaron saying "brought the 1Password X experience to Safari in our latest beta of 1Password 7. Feel free to update your 1Password". So can someone please explain how all this works? I want to use the new Privacy.com integration and continue to use version 7 on the Mac. How do I do this?

• @mrwiggles,

1Password for Mac does not have privacy.com support at this time. To use it in Safari you'll have to wait a quite a bit longer.

• mrwiggles
    mrwiggles
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy I'd be willing to let go of the native Mac app IF you guys had support for Safari (the native browser to the platform!). But the fact that you don't, AND you don't provide a way to leverage new features like Privacy.com using the current Mac solution, just means pain for your long time customers. I don't get it. Either fully support Safari - which now has a similar/same browser extension model as other browsers with version 14 - or add Privacy to your native apps. But doing neither just means that I have to switch browsers entirely to get Privacy.com features. Which is a PITA given all the workflow/bookmarks/iCloud tabs, etc. etc. that Safari users rely on every day. I have avoided being tempted by any and all competitive solutions to 1P in the past because of your dedicated to support Apple ecosystem customers. This is the first time I have been disappointed to the extreme.

• nickmcguire
    nickmcguire
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Options

Heya @mrwiggles,

Apologies on any confusion here. We are committed to having the best experience across all the browsers, and it's why we brought a lot of what makes 1Password X great over to Safari through 1Password for Mac (which as mentioned is in the betas). Privacy.com support will be coming to Safari, it's just gonna take a bit longer. As you mentioned Apple launched a bunch of really great things at WWDC that we're extremely excited about, and the team has been busy working on them.

If you give the betas a shot, I think you'll really enjoy all the new enhancements coming to our Safari extension. And soon you'll be able to create virtual cards in a snap. 🦾

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see 1Password X for Safari too.

With your push towards the subscription model it only makes sense to phase out the Mac app, and go browser only. I know, it seems like a big shift, since the Mac is where everything started, but the update frequency already shows where things are going.

Let's hope you get the Web app on speed with the Mac app soon before the Mac app becomes unusable (already happening right now, see unfixed bug from Dec 2020). Lots of stuff is still missing, like

• sort by
    • reorganizing fields and sections
    • advanced filters
    • smart suggestions in the Tags field
    • Touch ID
    • and so on ...

It would certainly help if you hired more Web developers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@philmcole:

With your push towards the subscription model it only makes sense to phase out the Mac app, and go browser only.

For clarification, in case other people are wondering, we don't have plans to discontinue the Mac app.

Also, since last September a lot of things changed, and as you can see now, the Safari extension is much more similar to 1Password X already ;)

This discussion has been closed.