Why is Mac 1Password hanging?

rlf
rlf
Community Member

Recently, 1Password has begun hanging almost constantly on my Mac. When I have a browser window open, whether it's Safari (13.1) or Chrome (84.0) or Firefox (79.0), and I type in my keyboard shortcut to Show 1Password, it will hang for between five and ten seconds (with a spinning beach ball) before 1Password will allow me to type a website's name into the 1P Search window. As I use 1P all throughout the day, this has become very frustrating. I've read here where other people have or are having this problem. One suggestion was to disable all extensions/add-ons in your browser so I did that in Google Chrome and it didn't help. I wouldn't think this is an extension problem as it happens with all three of the browsers I use and they don't all have the same extensions. Is this a known problem and if so, is there a solution? Is there any type of 1P internal log that I could send you that would show what's happening? Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2020

Hi @rlf

I'm sorry to hear about 1Password hanging. I'd like to get a sample from 1Password on your computer. The next time the issue occurs, please do the following:

1. Open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder, or use Spotlight to find it.
    2. Search for "1Password 7".
    3. Select it and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    4. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.

Step 3 in particular needs to be done while the issue is occurring. A sample is a "snapshot in time," so to speak, so it will only be helpful if it is taken during the issue. This will give us insight into what 1Password is doing, which will help our development team better understand the problem. Along with the sample, it would be helpful to have a diagnostic report. To generate one please see these instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/115041/why-is-mac-1password-hanging#latest
    • Your forum username: rlf
    • The sample file generated above

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• rlf
    rlf
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your offer to assist. I collected eight different samples this week and have sent them in. Hopefully at least one of them will provide some clues as to what the problem is. It's occurring so frequently now that I've had to export my passwords to a text file and stop using 1P. It freezes for up to 20 seconds (with the spinning beachball) probably two out of every three times I open 1P. Sometimes I even have to kill the browser to get back control of the browser. My support ID is XRB-24294-833.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @rlf! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics reports in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: XRB-24294-833

• kelshafie
    kelshafie
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Any resolution? It just started in the past week or so.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kelshafie:

Thank you for letting us know! We'll be happy to take a look at your configuration too. Have you sent us a diagnostics report and the performance information that Ben listed above already?

• We haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet but as Ana mentioned if you can send us the information outlined here (replacing the OP's username with yours) we can look into this for you. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• jrey
    jrey
    Community Member

Any progress on this? I'm also having the same issue. It's extremely frustrating since 1password is such a fundamental part of my workflow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jrey:

We will be happy to take a look at your diagnostics information too. Have you sent it to us already?

• koryva
    koryva
    Community Member

Hi, Ben. I'm also seeing significant slowdowns on my Mac which appear to be related to the 1Password app. Per your instructions above, I submitted both the diagnostic report and the activity monitor report. The support ID I received back is:

[#WXX-26574-576]

Thanks much, in advance, for any insight y'all can provide!

Regards,
    Kory

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

Thanks Kory!

Ben

ref: WXX-26574-576

• toccata_bespoke
    toccata_bespoke
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

This is happening to me as well. Just ran a diagnostic and emailed. Support ID is [#EFQ-67617-119].

Thanks in advance.

• Thanks, @toccata_bespoke. :)

Ben

ref: EFQ-67617-119

• mgseattle
    mgseattle
    Community Member

I added a diagnostic to the pile earlier today as well. Support ID is #EJH-38732-123.

Thanks.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2020

Thanks, @mgseattle. For anyone else coming across this thread: at this point we do not need further reports from 1Password 7.6. We're aware of what the issue is and hope to have it fixed up for v7.7. We plan to include the changes in the next v7.7 beta version, which you can read about here:

Use 1Password beta releases

Edit: To clarify, the current v7.7 beta 10 release does not have these changes. With any luck they'll be in the v7.7 beta 11 release.

Thanks!

Ben

ref: EJH-38732-123

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member

@Ben So great to be reminded of the value of this forum! I logged on this morning looking for answers to this exact issue, and within 15 seconds I found this thread. Thank you!

• @iamecho

On behalf of Ben, you're welcome. It's great to hear you found the answer quickly. Hopefully, that will always be the case.

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member

7.7 beta 11 still hanging badly. do you need new reports?

• @godbout

We would be happy to look over any report if you want to send one over. Please send it to support@1password.com

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

With your email please include:

A link to your post in this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/576352/#Comment_576352
    Your forum username: godbout

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

done. thanks.

ref: TYF-92821-316

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@godbout:

Thank you! Have you received a ticket number already?

• godbout
    godbout
    Community Member

nope, no answer yet. i will update here once i get one. thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood, sounds good :+1: :)

• Thank you for the report @Leon Guan. I see you've also sent us an email. Let's continue there. :+1:

Ben

• ShoutingMan
    ShoutingMan
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Glad to hear a fix is in work!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• ymatt0
    ymatt0
    Community Member

Following this thread as I have been experiencing exactly the same issue for months: 5-10s hangs when doing a huge variety of tasks... unlocking, searching, editing, you name it. I'm on 1Password 7.7 (70700015) and still experiencing it unchanged. I've just submitted a support request.

• @ymatt0

I found your email. We'll follow up there. Thanks!

Ben

• richardlloyd
    richardlloyd
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Same here. Spinning wheel of death when trying to unlock the main app, move items between vaults and more.

Version 7.7 (70700015)
    Using Big Sur: 11.0.1 (20B29)

• stuartro
    stuartro
    Community Member

I’ve been running into the same issue for the past two weeks—i.e. ever since I converted from using a standalone vault to subscribing to a family account and using 1password.com. Now the smallest things (even clicking on a password to copy it to the clipboard) can trigger the beachball. Using 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store.

I’m not a fan of subscriptions in general, but saw the value in having 1Password shareable by my family. Now, however, I am having second thoughts about the wisdom of converting to from local vault to "cloud" vault. I use 1Password multiple times a day and this is becoming super irritating.

Will happily work with support folks to supply whatever logs / etc. are needed... just want this fixed.

This discussion has been closed.