Why is Mac 1Password hanging?

Options

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@richardlloyd, @stuartro:

Thank you for letting us know! Have you also emailed us the reports?

• ymatt0
    ymatt0
    Community Member
    Options

For the sake of others, my slowness seems to have very suddenly evaporated after months. I'm honestly not totally sure what did it – it may have been emptying my trash or "quitting 1Password completely" via ctrl-option-cmd-Q. It seems odd that this would work after months of system reboots and the like but it's all I can think of.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ymatt0:

Thank you for the update! We will keep investigating this, so please let us know if you notice any change in behavior :+1:

• aktary
    aktary
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this same issue with my brand new subscription :(

Family subscription
    1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
    macOS Big Sur v11.1

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member
    Options

It is related to the memory leak issue which existing for months ...

• aktary
    aktary
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

@ag_ana Is there any progress on resolving it?

• eveningclouds
    eveningclouds
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

deleted

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I'll throw my +1 onto this as well. It behaved well briefly after a restart, but after doing some manual cleanup of the vaults seems to chug more and more as I sit here. Quitting and relaunching doesn't seem to help (although the helper might've still been running).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I should mention I'm on a base model 2018 Macbook Pro running MacOS 11.1
    1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) Mac App Store
    and it seems to correlate to a spike in CPU usage. (Presumably crypto ops).
    Specifically I can trigger it when changing vaults, or with actions taken immediately after moving an item to trash (like I said, I'm cleaning up).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Quitting 1Password Completely and relaunching fixed it for me. But considering the rate at which it bogged down after my last computer reboot tells me it will swiftly become bogged down again.

• @emergency_shiba

If you continue to experience issues, please let us know. An option that you may want to consider is our betas. The team has made some changes, and after reading posts here in the community, it has helped. If betas are not to your liking, you could try the complete quit again. We hope to release the beta in the stable branch as soon as possible.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Will do. I'd planned to do some more testing later to see if I can narrow it down to something helpfully reproducible.
    Might try the beta after.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021
    Options

@emergency_shiba

You can find the instructions on enabling the beta here. If you find something that we need to look into please send us an email to support@1password.com be sure to include a diagnostic report along with any relevant details.

• kewright
    kewright
    Community Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hey there, also having this issue when using the Mac App for 1password.

When I change passwords, delete passwords, or edit just about anything I get the spinning beach ball and have to wait anywhere from 5-30 seconds for 1password Mac app to unfreeze. 

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Chrome Extension (even though my issues occur in the Mac App) but no resolve. Still having horrible lag issues.

I'll put a support ticket in now!

Update: Support ticket number: [#CTJ-74747-737]

• @kewright

I found your ticket. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: CTJ-74747-737

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I'm noticing that 1Password starts at around 80MB used in RAM, but after having it open and making some edits starts getting up towards 1GB (I was noticing some chug at 700MB), and does not release that memory until it is "quit completely".
    Can't be sure they're related, but it's something to point to.
    => Starts low mem, runs fine --> mem climbs (why? edits?), runs slow --> Quit completely. Repeat.
    @kewright might you notice something similar while it's acting up?

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

No updates on how to solve this (yes, I have the same problem).

• @JamesHenderson

We're still making our way through the beta process. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. Hopefully soon.

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• awholelattelove
    awholelattelove
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Does anyone know if this a problem for folks on the non-beta versions of the app on macOS Big Sur public beta? Asking as, if not, removing myself from the macOS PB to stop the hanging would be way worth it to me. Thank you! :)

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2021
    Options

@awholelattelove

I am not aware of any issues with the macOS public beta. There is always that possibility when using a macOS beta. But as I mentioned, I have seen no such reports.

• awholelattelove
    awholelattelove
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thanks, Tommy. I've been struggling with the hanging as described above—that's all I mean. Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @awholelattelove. If you'd like to switch over to the 1Password beta channel for quicker resolution please find instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/betas/

Ben

• awholelattelove
    awholelattelove
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben. I'll give the beta another try!

• Sounds good. If you have questions, knock on the door, so to speak. :chuffed:

• bmcb
    bmcb
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my +1. Just purchased and imported passwords from another service. Am in the process of updating and tagging all my imported passwords (my OCD coming through!). It is a nightmare -- each updated password generates a spinning beachball and a hang for 15 to 30 seconds. Checked activity monitor, and 1Password is using 5GB+ of memory which doesn't seem right.

• @bmcb

Have you given thought to using our beta? The next release is still being mixed and not quite ready for the oven yet.

• awholelattelove
    awholelattelove
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @bmcb, if it means anything, I've hopped onto the beta, and while I was hesitant at first to use that it has been working much quicker in general (so far). Great work, 1Password team :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @awholelattelove, and for the words of encouragement! This is great to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.