Password "recipe" functionality removed?

In Version 7.7.BETA-7 (70700007), I am no longer able to specify how many numbers and symbols I want in my generated passwords. Is this functionality gone? I relied on that every time I generated a password.

1Password Version: 7.7.BETA-7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.0
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

Hi @verdi1987!

If I am not mistaken, this changed a few versions ago already, I don't believe it's a change in Beta 7. Indeed, looking at the changelog, the only change in Beta 7 was for the inline menu:

Fixed an issue that could cause the inline menu to errantly report that it is locked after unlocking 1Password.

• rudyrudy

Team Member

@verdi1987,

In 1Password mini? In the browser?

The only change that I can think of is that you're talking about the main window, in which case yes, that functionality is gone. The unified password generator has made it to the main window as of 7.7.BETA-3 and will be coming to 1Password for iOS as well.

The main 1Password editor now uses the improved Strong Password Generator. {#2564}

If you need a password with symbols and digits, i'd recommend the Memorable password type with the "Digits and Symbols" separator selected.

• @rudy, Yes, in the main window.

Thanks, I will try the Memorable option.

• Why was the option for this removed? I understand wanting the default password generation to use an improved algorithm, however I would still like to be able to set my own complexity requirements. Not only defining how long a password should be, but also how many numbers and symbols. It seems like a trivial feature to include for those that want stronger passwords with custom complexity requirements, especially since the feature used to exist.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Specifying a specific number of digits / symbols generally causes a reduction in entropy. The more influence one has over the makeup of the password, the less random it will be. That is why we're moving in the direction of checkboxes to either allow or disallow digits / symbols, instead of sliders to specify a specific number of them.

Ben

• I hope you're eventually able to read the site's password rules, too. I would like to not have to think of any of this. ;)

• rudyrudy

Team Member

@tewha,

The inline menu in Safari already does that when using the inline menu's generate password field, it is also hooked into Apple's GitHub repository of known password requirement quirks. I'm hoping to bring similar functionality to the full 1Password mini password generator in the future.

• Good stuff, Rudy. :)

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

:+1::)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file