I can't access my secret key, where it is? I need to download 1Password onto my new laptop.

I'm using 1Password version 6.8.8 for Mac. When the app is open, in preferences there are no accounts listed and I can't access my secret key. I try to add my Mac as an account, and get prompted to enter account details, including my secret key, which I don't have. How do I locate the secret key for my account?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I can't access my secret key, where it is? I need to download 1Password onto my new laptop.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HHayman! Welcome to the forum!

You only have a Secret Key if you have a 1Password Membership, which is paid with a subscription. From what you are saying, I am not sure that you do have a Secret Key at all. Can you confirm whether you have a subscription to 1Password or just a standalone license?

• HHayman
    HHayman
    Community Member

Hello. I think I do just have a license. How do I transfer it to my new laptop? Or sign in on 1Password.com on the new machine, which is a 2020 MacBook Pro?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@HHayman:

By default, you should have a copy of your license file already inside your 1Password app, under the Software License category. There should be an entry there with the version of 1Password you purchased, and the license as an attachment.

To activate 1Password 6 on your new laptop, you can install the app and then download the license from within the app, and double click on it to apply it.

Just make sure you download 1Password 6 from our website and not 1Password 7, since version 7 is a paid upgrade that requires a separate license.

• HHayman
    HHayman
    Community Member

Hello,

I'm still having trouble adding the software license that I purchased to the 1Password 6 app that I downloaded. I downloaded the app, but apparently I was working off a trial version, which is now expired. I was able to locate the software license category, but can't seem to download the license from within the app.

How do I add the license I purchased to the newly downloaded app? Please help.

• Hi @HHayman

A 1Password 6 license would not be valid for modern versions of 1Password. Please reach out to our team at support@1password.com with the details you have regarding any previous purchases and we'll be happy to help you move forward. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.