Sync-recognizes phone, but won't try to authorize

rkell21
edited December 1969 in iOS
I'm sure there's other posts on this but I can't find em.

My phone is displayed, i click on it, it tells me its not authorized. I click iphone app to authorize and i'm never prompted for the passwords. Clicking Sync Now doesn't make it prompt me either.

I did all the bonjour steps, I uninstalled the iphone app and reinstalled in, and i tried opening and closing the apps at different times. No luck.

Can someone point me to this solution?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    rkell21, I'm sorry you're having that problem.

As a first step, please make sure you're using the latest release, 1Password 3.1.2, in which we believe it is fixed.

Let us know if you still see that problem in 3.1.2, though! We really want to nail it.
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    Yes, i'm using 3.1.2 and whatever the latest version from the app store is.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forums, rkell21. Have you tried trying to restart the authorisation process by deleting your phone from 1Password's sidebar and having it recognise it again?
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    justG wrote:
    Welcome to the forums, rkell21. Have you tried trying to restart the authorisation process by deleting your phone from 1Password's sidebar and having it recognise it again?

I've done this roughly about 30 times. Each time it recognizes instantly, so there's no problem there.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2010
    That must be frustrating, rkell21. For me, 1Password 3.1.2 has resolved the last minor sync problem (just an inconvenience, really) that I was seeing occasionally.
    Let's see if we can't get you there, too. :)

I hope you won't mind trying this precise sequence of steps to see if it triggers the authorization prompt for you:

1. In 1Password on your iPhone, disable Wi-Fi Sync.

2. In 1Password on your Mac, if your iPhone's name is listed under SYNC in the left pane,
    Control-click it, and choose Delete; then confirm your selection to delete the iPhone.

3. In 1Password on your iPhone, re-enable Wi-Fi Sync.

4. Almost immediately, a window should appear on your Mac, ready to accept the secret
    codes. If it doesn't, please quit and relaunch 1Password on your Mac.

5. In 1Password on your iPhone, tap Allow New Connections, and enter your master password.

6. In that Wi-Fi Sync Authentication window on your Mac, enter the secret codes, and
    click the Authenticate button. Be sure to do that while the secret codes are displayed
    on your iPhone; otherwise, you'll have to tap Allow New Connections again.

Thanks for your patience, rkell21. Please let us know how it goes!
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    DBrown wrote:
    That must be frustrating, rkell21. For me, 1Password 3.1.2 has resolved the last minor sync problem (just an inconvenience, really) that I was seeing occasionally.
    Let's see if we can't get you there, too. :)

I hope you won't mind trying this precise sequence of steps to see if it triggers the authorization prompt for you:

1. In 1Password on your iPhone, disable Wi-Fi Sync.

2. In 1Password on your Mac, if your iPhone's name is listed under SYNC in the left pane,
    Control-click it, and choose Delete; then confirm your selection to delete the iPhone.

3. In 1Password on your iPhone, re-enable Wi-Fi Sync.

4. Almost immediately, a window should appear on your Mac, ready to accept the secret
    codes. If it doesn't, please quit and relaunch 1Password on your Mac.

5. In 1Password on your iPhone, tap Allow New Connections, and enter your master password.

6. In that Wi-Fi Sync Authentication window on your Mac, enter the secret codes, and
    click the Authenticate button. Be sure to do that while the secret codes are displayed
    on your iPhone; otherwise, you'll have to tap Allow New Connections again.

Thanks for your patience, rkell21. Please let us know how it goes!

I tried your directions exactly, and the same thing happened. If it helps, the top says "device type: unknown." I never get prompted for the authorization passwords.
  • rezkhan
    edited May 2010
    Getting the same issue. 1password is seeing the iphone, it's listing device type as unknown, and it's not bringing up the secret questions.

I have deleted the iphone in 1password and restarted both the iphone and the laptop. It just doesn't want to sync. :/

Currently running:
    1password: Version 3.1.2 (build 30635) on the mac.
    1password: Version 3.1.1 (apr 15 2010) on the iphone.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    These notes are presuming that you have 1Password 3.1.2 or later on the Mac.

In 1Password Mac, the device type will remain "unknown" until after a success authentication setup. The name in the SYNC sidebar comes directly from your device.

Once the device has been deleted from the SYNC section, launch the 1Password mobile app and provide your Unlock Code (or Master Password, depending on the mobile device). The device name will appear in the SYNC section and a window will appear on the Mac saying "New connections are disabled by 1Password touch." and some other things: click on its OK button.

Now click on the device's name in the SYNC section. Make sure that the 1Password mobile app is still running and is unlocked. Navigate by tapping Settings > Wi-Fi Sync > Allow New Connections and enter your current mobile device's Master Password. On the Mac click the Sync Now button in the bottom-right and when prompted, enter the Secret 1 and Secret 2 values (including hyphens) shown by the 1Password app into the Mac.

The sync will complete very quickly and the Mac window will update to show the proper Device type and Last synced time of "Just now".

The authentication should be a one-time event for each unique mobile device (if you have to replace an iPhone for example, you'll need to go through it again).
  • trippleplay
    edited December 1969
    I purchased 1password a third time for the iPad because it had worked fine for me on the iPhone (until I recently updated the mac to 3.1.2 and the iPhone to "PRO"). I've been trying to solve this problem for days on both my new iPad and now my iphone. I have done all the network checking… pinging etc… my mobile units both show up in the sync sidebar… I've deleted and started over per instructions several times… I have emailed for help for two days with no solution other than one canned reply with the instructions already in this thread. The iPad app has a different welcome screen setup with no chance to "enter master password" or "allow new connections" if you intend to sync existing database. Therefore the instructions are not correct for the iPad anyway and don't work for me on the iPhone either. I have yet to see a place to enter the secret codes after many, many attempts. Can Someone please help?
  • rezkhan
    edited December 1969
    Hi MartyS,

After the last deletion of the iphone in the Sync options of 1password it no longer appears at all when I enable wifi sync. I will go through step by step the actions I need to take to make it appear in the left hand panel under the sync options.

1. I open the app on both the mac and the iphone.
    2. On the iphone, I go to settings, wifi sync, and enable new connections.
    3. After waiting for a while and noting nothing happens I click Help, Troubleshooting, Sync Using IP
    4. The mac app will now see the device on IP and port
    5. Close the phone client
    6. Reopen iphone app, go to settings, wifi sync, enable new connections

At this point 1password on the mac sees the iphone again as an iphone with the phone name- however it still does not bring up the secret questions.

Restarting the iphone app, and enabling wifi sync and new connections again does not seem to do anything either.

Restarting the mac app requires me to start this process all over again.

Left clicking the iphone icon on the left hand panel does not bring a prompt for any action, right clicking only brings up delete, empty trash, etc. Clicking on the right hand panel does not seem to do anything.

Clicking Sync Now makes a wheel thing spin on the left hand pane with the corresponding device icon, but beyond that does not do anything.

I have noticed that the Last Sync time is 9 days ago for the iphone sync - the sync to IP does not seem to have any date at all. I suspect that even though I am deleting sync history on the the phone and the iphone from the list in the application that it is keeping the data somewhere.

If there's any log file that you feel would be helpful in resolving this please do let me know.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi rezkhan,

To delete the existing device from the SYNC sidebar you need to *right*-click (or control-click) the device's name — that's when the option to Delete will appear.

The fact that you had to Sync using the IP address says to me that either your iPhone isn't on the same network as your Mac, or the Bonjour announcement broadcast isn't reaching your Mac: perhaps because of a firewall issue. Please take a look at our comprehensive Wi-Fi sync troubleshooting guide for some information that may help you out.
  • rezkhan
    edited December 1969
    Hi MartyS,

Thanks for the advice. It seems I have a fundamental issue with packet routing within the intranet. I wasn't even able to ping from the laptop to the iphone. After I set up an ad hoc network it seemed to sync without a problem.

I'll have to look at my router and figure out what's going on there.

Anyone any good with a cisco 877? :???:

Best wishes,

RK
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Ben might be, he's working with Cisco gear. I'll ask him to have a look at this thread.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited December 1969
    rezkhan wrote:
    Hi MartyS,

Thanks for the advice. It seems I have a fundamental issue with packet routing within the intranet. I wasn't even able to ping from the laptop to the iphone. After I set up an ad hoc network it seemed to sync without a problem.

I'll have to look at my router and figure out what's going on there.

Anyone any good with a cisco 877? :???:

Best wishes,

RK

Hi RK,

I'm not familiar with that specific model, but I do have a bit of experience with the Cisco IOS.
    Could you please post the results of a "show run" command? Please edit out any passwords.

Thanks.
    Ben
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    bwoodruff wrote:
    Hi RK,

I'm not familiar with that specific model, but I do have a bit of experience with the Cisco IOS.
    Could you please post the results of a "show run" command? Please edit out any passwords.

Thanks.
    Ben

And RK, if you feel the least bit hesitant about posting your router's configuration here in the forums feel free to send it to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I purchased 1password a third time for the iPad because it had worked fine for me on the iPhone (until I recently updated the mac to 3.1.2 and the iPhone to "PRO"). I've been trying to solve this problem for days on both my new iPad and now my iphone. I have done all the network checking… pinging etc… my mobile units both show up in the sync sidebar… I've deleted and started over per instructions several times… I have emailed for help for two days with no solution other than one canned reply with the instructions already in this thread. The iPad app has a different welcome screen setup with no chance to "enter master password" or "allow new connections" if you intend to sync existing database. Therefore the instructions are not correct for the iPad anyway and don't work for me on the iPhone either. I have yet to see a place to enter the secret codes after many, many attempts. Can Someone please help?

trippleplay, welcome to the forums! Looks like your post got missed as it was sandwiched between other posters. Sorry about that.

If you've emailed us via the support email, we would just have two simulataneous interactions going back and forth, so let's please stick to the support email path. The reason you saw the "one canned reply" is because that set of instructions helps the majority of folks, so it is the logical first step. If that doesn't help, then we can dive deeper, as you can see from the follow-up with rezkhan. Just please work with us and we will help you do everything possible to get things up and running. :)
  • rezkhan
    edited May 2010
    Hi all, back for the first time this weekend.

Router config follows, keep in mind it took me a fair while to even get this far. I am a cisco noob. I suspect it has everything to do with the ACL setup, as you can see I haven't done a firewall config on the router itself.

!
    version 12.4
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname cisco
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot system flash:/c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-24.T2.bin
    boot-end-marker
    !
    logging message-counter syslog
    logging buffered 51200 warnings
    enable secret 5 [removed by bw]
    !
    no aaa new-model
    !
    crypto pki trustpoint TP-self-signed-2211800509
    enrollment selfsigned
    subject-name cn=IOS-Self-Signed-Certificate-2211800509
    revocation-check none
    rsakeypair TP-self-signed-2211800509
    !
    !
    crypto pki certificate chain TP-self-signed-2211800509
    certificate self-signed 01
    XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
    quit
    dot11 syslog
    !
    dot11 ssid wireless
    authentication open
    authentication key-management wpa
    guest-mode
    wpa-psk ascii 0 wireless
    !
    ip source-route
    !
    !
    no ip dhcp use vrf connected
    ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.1.1
    !
    ip dhcp pool webpool
    import all
    network 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0
    default-router 192.168.1.1
    lease 0 2
    !
    !
    ip cef
    no ip domain lookup
    ip domain name spider.local
    ip name-server 61.88.88.88
    no ipv6 cef
    vlan ifdescr detail
    !
    multilink bundle-name authenticated
    !
    !
    !
    username admin privilege 15 secret 5 [removed by bw]
    !
    !
    !
    archive
    log config
    hidekeys
    !
    !
    !
    bridge irb
    !
    !
    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    shutdown
    no atm ilmi-keepalive
    !
    interface FastEthernet0
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface FastEthernet1
    !
    interface FastEthernet2
    !
    interface FastEthernet3
    switchport access vlan 2
    !
    interface Dot11Radio0
    description ** WIFI **
    no ip address
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
    !
    encryption mode ciphers tkip
    !
    ssid wireless
    !
    speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0
    station-role root
    no cdp enable
    bridge-group 1
    bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control
    bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
    bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source
    no bridge-group 1 source-learning
    no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding
    !
    interface Vlan1
    no ip address
    bridge-group 1
    bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
    !
    interface Vlan2
    description *! OPTUS WAN !*
    ip address dhcp
    ip nat outside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    !
    interface Dialer1
    no ip address
    no cdp enable
    !
    interface BVI1
    description ** BRIDGING INTERFACE **
    ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    ip nat inside
    ip virtual-reassembly
    !
    ip forward-protocol nd
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Vlan2 dhcp
    ip http server
    ip http access-class 23
    ip http authentication local
    ip http secure-server
    ip http timeout-policy idle 60 life 86400 requests 10000
    !
    !
    ip nat inside source list 23 interface vlan2 overload
    !
    access-list 23 remark **!! LAN NAT !!**
    access-list 23 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255
    no cdp run

!
    !
    !
    !
    snmp-server community public RO
    !
    control-plane
    !
    bridge 1 route ip
    !
    line con 0
    login local
    no modem enable
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    access-class 23 in
    privilege level 15
    login local
    transport input telnet ssh
    !
    scheduler max-task-time 5000
    end
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Until Ben (or other 'qualified' person) can decipher the report, have you tried syncing over an ad-hoc network? That might or might not eliminate the use of some of your network equipment for a test. You'll find information on how to do this on this web page.
  • rezkhan
    edited December 1969
    Hi Marty S,

That's how I'm syncing now. :)

Rk
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    rezkhan wrote:
    Hi Marty S,

That's how I'm syncing now. :)

Rk

That's good to hear!

You need to find your "network administrator" and ... oh, wait, that might be you. :) Knowing that the software and settings work for your ad-hoc network is quite telling. Something is blocking your packets along the other network path(s) for either the Bonjour announcement (UDP port 5353) or stopping your Mac's outgoing connection to your 1Password app on a random TCP "high-numbered" port. Or the Mac and iPhone aren't actually on the same network (Bonjour doesn't cross networks).

Once you find that you can ping the (awake) iPhone from the Mac you'll be most of the way there!

I'm sorry we can't be of more assistance but there are a lot of variables that could come into play.
  • aps
    aps
    edited May 2010
    Updated - Issue Resolved

I resolved the issue by setting my iphone to dhcp. Once it was able to sync with dhcp I set it back to static and it synced without issue.

----
    I just purchased the pro version through the app store. I do not get prompted for the authorization codes on my 1password app on my iMac. I have performed all troubleshooting steps found on your site.

BonjourBrowser - Sees my iphone

1Password Version 3.1.2 (build 30635) - Can see the iphone, but shows it as not authorized. Clicking sync button does not prompt for any codes. Adding it by IP has the same outcome

iMac - Can ping my iPhone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop app. rebooted and have same issue

OSX built in firewall - I have added 1Password to allow all incoming traffic. I have enven turned off the firewall and have the same issue

iPhone - Has a static IP and is on the same network. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. rebooted and have same issue
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    That's great news, aps! Thanks for updating the thread, and welcome to the forum.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for posting the config rezkhan. I don't see anything immediate that jumps out at me. I also don't see any ACLs. I am somewhat curious as to your motivations for picking this particular device for your home network were. Generally you find Cisco products in the enterprise, with certified network administrations on hand to configure them. ;) The next step I would take at this point would be to run packet captures (using software such as wireshark) from various devices on the network to see where traffic is passing and where it isn't. It could be that broadcast traffic (such as bonjour) is not passing between wireless clients because of some subnetting and/or VLANing that may be going on. To be honest though, it would probably take you at least a few hours to track down, and may not be worth while if ad-hoc is working for you.
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    I tried switching to DHCP and its the same problem. Still "unknown" device, and never prompted for passwords.
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    I just got an ipad and the same thing happens. Cannot sync to it. I have another computer and it works when I sync. That computer is a G5, this is a macbook pro. I'm not sure why it won't sync on the MBP. Please help!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Have you tried the ad hoc network technique? You'll find information on how to do this on this web page There are lots of troubleshooting that needs to be attempted before giving up, and it's documented here. Please let us know the results of each troubleshooting effort and we'll be glad to help you further.
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    Yes I have tried the Ad Hoc technique. I listed that as one of the things I have already tried above.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    rkell21 wrote:
    Yes I have tried the Ad Hoc technique. I listed that as one of the things I have already tried above.

I'm sorry, I mentioned that because I didn't see you share that about your new iPad... only the earlier problem with your iPhone. So this same iPad will Wi-Fi sync properly with your G5 but not your MBP, is that correct? Are the G5 and MBP on the same network LAN segment? Is the MBP using Airport or an Ethernet cable to access the LAN?
  • rkell21
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    I'm sorry, I mentioned that because I didn't see you share that about your new iPad... only the earlier problem with your iPhone. So this same iPad will Wi-Fi sync properly with your G5 but not your MBP, is that correct? Are the G5 and MBP on the same network LAN segment? Is the MBP using Airport or an Ethernet cable to access the LAN?

Yes, for some reason both my iphone and my ipad will sync with my G5, but both have the same errors with my Macbook Pro. They are both on the same network - they both use an Airport, but the laptop is wireless and the G5 is wired through ethernet. Since you mentioned it, I just now tried to plug the ethernet cable into the laptop to see if that would help. It didn't

The screen on 1password looks like this: http://cl.ly/c01f4116539fff27429a

If I click sync now, nothing happens. I've tried static and dynamic ip addresses, and all of the steps from the other pages. I also have reinstalled 1password on the laptop. Nothing worked. Please help!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the screenshot! In this state, you should run the 1Password app on your iPad and tap Settings > Sync, turn off the Wi-Fi Sync switch and then turn it back on... presenting you with a fresh set of sync authorization "secrets". Now click the Sync Now button on your Mac. If you are running a version of 1Password Mac earlier than 3.1.2 you may need to re-launch the application to have Sync Now take notice of the iPad. You cannot let the iPad go to sleep or for the 1Password app to lock during this time.

If this still results in no action at all could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then sending the report to us at support@agile.ws using Mail.

Please include a link to this thread in your email message so that we can 'connect the dots'.

Also include a screenshot of BonjourBrowser with the iPad "ready" so we can see the details. For the sake of others reading this thread, please refer to these two screenshot links of Bonjour Browser running on my Mac:

http://img.skitch.com/20100329-pmirmpt8htbg3ijnce3a9pbb4u.jpg when iPhone app is not ready
    http://img.skitch.com/20100329-jq8me8rt2kbwu4a57gu51hi8ka.jpg when iPhone app is ready and broadcast has been received

Start by running the Bonjour Browser application on your Mac. You should see one item in the window labeled "local" and a number to the right (the display of the number is controlled by a Bonjour Browser Preference setting). Depending on which OS X network services you have enabled on your computer the number might be 0 but if there is one or more then there will be a "reveal triangle" to the left of "local". My screenshots started with 10 services and went to 11 when the 1Password mobile app was ready to communicate.

Single click on the reveal triangle (to make it point downwards) to expand the listing for "local". I have all kinds of services talking on my network so they are listed: pastebot, pthpb, textexpander, etc. Notice that they too all have reveal triangles that can show more details if desired.

When the iPhone (in my case) is running the 1Password app and is in it's unlocked state then Bonjour Browser will show another item: 1password2._tcp. If you reveal the details it shows the device's name in bold and has it's own reveal triangle that if revealed will show the IP address and port number.

What I'm looking for is a screenshot from your system with the details for "local", "_1password2._tcp" and any sub-items under "_1password2._tcp" all revealed.

The Bonjour Browser application cannot change anything -- it just views the current state of Bonjour broadcasts from each service. You can expand any or all the details and no matter what you do won't impact the services themselves. You shouldn't ever actually need to press the "Reload Services" button either: they should come and go in the listing automatically.

We suggest using this application just for the purpose of diagnosing that the 1Password mobile device can get it's network messages across to your Mac. If 1Password Mac doesn't see these messages then it won't offer to sync your data with that mobile device. This application is not used for day-to-day proper operation of anything and it won't "fix" networking issues that you might have: it just reports what it sees.
This discussion has been closed.