Product confusion

I've been a 1P user for a couple of years but am still at a complete loss to understand what each bit does or why it is important.
I've seen reference to:
1Password
1PasswordX
1Password App
1Password desktop
1Password extension for browsers
1Password 7
1Password 6
1Password mini

Perhaps you have more names than products. I'm on Windows and I get the impression that your Windows support is second in line to Mac and that Windows stuff may or may not be released later.
It would be great if you gave these products names that actually related to their function - 1Px, 1P 6, 1P 7 , 1P mini, etc. is nothing but confusing.

Can you please point me to some documentation that explain what these do and when I'd want to use them. I'm not interested in wonderful they are, I just want know what they do and why or when I'd want to use them.
I'd love to see a table that relates 1P variants to Operating Systems with links to documentation for each combo.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @archdrake,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password! I am really sorry for this confusion with different parts of 1Password. I will do my best to explain everything below, but please let me know if you have any further questions. :+1:

I guess 1Password refers to the general product of our password manager and this product has different parts. Currently, there are two different ways to use 1Password on your desktop computers:

1) You can install 1Password desktop app (you can also call it "1Password App") and use it to organise your items. There have been many versions of 1Password apps on different platforms over the years, but the current version of 1Password on all platforms (Windows, Android, iOS, macOS) is 1Password 7 (the previous version of 1Password app is 1Password 6). If we talk about Mac and Windows, I would recommend you to check these articles to get the better idea about the apps:

Get to know 1Password 7 for Mac

Get to know 1Password 7 for Windows

Another integral part of 1Password app is 1Password mini, which you can invoke on your desktop without opening the main app. You can learn more about it on our website:

Get to know 1Password mini on your Mac

Get to know 1Password mini on your Windows PC

In addition to that, you should be aware that 1Password desktop app will not be able to save and fill your credentials in your browser without 1Password companion extension (or 1Password extension), which you need to install separately. This extension is available for download on our Downloads page here and here is how you can use it:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

Please note that 1Password companion extension doesn't have any information about your data in 1Password and it connects to 1Password app to show it.

2) The second way to use 1Password is 1Password X. 1Password X is our new type of extension that works entirely in your browser. It doesn't need to connect to a standalone 1Password app, so it works independently (it allows 1Password X to work on Linux, Chromebooks, or work computers, where you can't install any software). You can learn more about 1Password X here:

Get to know 1Password X

Let me know if this information helps. Right now, we are taking steps to unify 1Password experience and make it more consistent (and less confusing) across all platforms. I do not have anything specific to share yet, but I want you to know that we understand the existing confusion with different options. Please stay tuned.

I know that this is a lot of info to digest, but that is why we are here – to help you with 1Password. If you have other questions, feel free to raise them. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• archdrake
    archdrake
    Community Member

Good, thanks, that's a huge help.
    I doubt that I'm the only user experiencing this confusion.
    I still think a table which relates P1 product to OS summarizing the info you've presented here would go a long way to alleviating that issue.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @archdrake, you are very welcome! :) :+1:

We still have plans to simplify 1Password experience in the future, so maybe such table won't be needed. We'll see. :)

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.