Changing the master password is a terrible experience

I tried to change the master password on my mac computer last night. I was using the desktop app for mac. The change went through, I saved my new password in my iPhone notes app as well, just to be double sure.

Today when I tried to login to the 1password desktop app on my Windows PC at work, it just wouldn't accept my new password. I tried it several times and none of the attempts worked. Following the 1password guides to recover the master password as shown here - https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

I tried to use my iPhone to reset my master password. I was able to log in with FaceID, but even there when I tried to use the "change master password" option, it asks me to enter my current master password. Once again, I tried entering what I thought was my current master password (the one I reset on my mac computer last night), but it didn't work.

What's the point of allowing a user to sign-in with FaceID and still ask them to enter their current master password? What if they don't remember it, or worse - what really happened in my case?

So finally, I decided to use my older 1password master key which I THOUGH I HAD RESET the previous night - and lo and behold, it worked.

So the fault is not mine, it's 1Password's.

1. I changed my master password on the mac desktop app.
  2. I thought it had changed, but for whatever ridiculous reason, it didn't.
  3. Now it wouldn't let me in based on my new password.

What's worse - when I just tried to re-rechange my master password on my iPhone, there was no confirmation message. I had absolutely no idea if the change had even gone through.

Terrible experience. I'm getting out of this and switching to LastPass or Keeper or Dashlane as soon as my subscription expires.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @manishgiri,

First of all, I am really sorry for the experience that you had with 1Password! It wasn't our intention to confuse you and I am sad to hear that you plan to cancel your 1Password account.

I noticed that we are already in touch with you via email regarding a different question of yours, but since this question is different, I will try my best to address it here.

If you use only your 1Password account in 1Password apps on all devices and have no standalone vaults, you will need to change your Master Password on 1Password.com, as described in this article on our website:

If you have a 1Password account and no standalone vaults

In this case you’ll need to finish changing your password in 1Password app on Windows. Open and unlock 1Password using your old Master Password, click the red authentication error banner, and sign in with your new Master Password.

It seems that you changed the Master Password for your account, but you never took this second step in 1Password 7 for Windows. That is why you had to unlock it using your previous Master Password. Does it sound correct?

However, if you have standalone vaults in 1Password on your Mac or in 1Password on your iOS devices, the process of changing your Master Password is different:

If you have at least one standalone vault

Before we take any further steps, could you please tell me if you have any standalone vaults in 1Password on your Mac and iOS devices? Please check the article here on how you can switch between vaults in 1Password apps.

It will help me understand what happened and how we can help you in this situation.

Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.