Chrome extension resetting everyday

Options
virtualbartek
virtualbartek
Community Member

Hi,

This is infuriating! Almost every single day the Chrome extension forgets itself and asks me to reinstall itself. The only way to fix is to reinstall or type the password into the main app. I no longer use 1PasswordX (even though it's better in the browser) so I've removed it. Everything is up to date and reinstalled 5 times over. Nothing helps. This happens on both my computers. Screenshot attached.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-11 (70700011) 1Passwo
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.7 (19H2)
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020
    Options

@virtualbartek

A reinstall should not be necessary. I think you may be experiencing an issue where Chrome is placing extensions under the puzzle icon. Try this, click the puzzle piece, and then click the pin icon to pin the browser's 1Password extension. Unfortunately, we did not receive a screenshot. The following screenshot is from Brave, but it should show you the needed steps.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it's always pinned. :) I have a feeling you're on to something but this isn't exactly it. Chrome is syncing between two machines and this seems to happen in on both computers around the same time.

• @virtualbartek

Have you tried creating a new profile that does not sync to see if the problem continues? My gut feeling was a profile issue, but I went with the pinned item as it seems to be occurring more often lately.

A Google search on your behalf returns several hits about missing extensions when syncing. One of those is here: https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/71539950?hl=en

It seems your issue is more related to syncing within Chrome. :frown: 1Password just happens to be a part of your setup. I would recommend researching the problem further before doing anything drastic.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try at home. Here's a video of the issue in the mean time.

https://youtu.be/8MhP0BbAnjY

Cheers,

• @virtualbartek

Can you try a complete quit of 1Password and then Chrome? It looks as if this could be a communication issue between 1Password and Chrome. That can happen if Chrome is updating or in the middle of an update.

1. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely.
    2. Quit Chrome.
    3. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder, followed by Chrome.

You can also optionally restart the machine.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

When I come back in it asks me to install 1Password for Chrome. I think this is when it happens--after a restart.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Even if I open 1Password the full app, it doesn't help. I need click on the helper app and login through there for it to work in Chrome.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @virtualbartek! Sorry to hear that the 1Password extension and the 1Password for Mac app aren't connecting the way they should be. We generally see this when Chrome is pending an update because the code signature changes while in the update process. However, a restart of Chrome should have ruled that out. I'd be curious to take a look at a diagnostics report from your computer to see if we find anything out of the ordinary. That can only be emailed in, though. If you're up for it, please send an email to support+forum@1password.com, and mention a link to this post as well as your forum username. You can find instructions for how to create a diagnostics report below.

How to send a diagnostics report

Let me know once you've sent the email, and I'll take a look!

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

done. thanks.

• @virtualbartek

I was able to locate your message. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: RYI-64276-852

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

After running the diagnostic, my vault is empty. The forum isn't allowing me attach any pics. Any ideas?

https://bartac933-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/bart_lubaszka_me/EQJlSxjTU_5Nqk4CpOu2iuEB5rzsa2zEuGCsSOy9HnfDmg?e=dfcH8A

Thanks

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, restarting helped.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

Now I got a nice crash twice. Keep in mind this is on my iMac, but the Chrome issue is on my MBA as well. This forum won't let me upload a photo or a text file so....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! Sorry for the inconvenience. There are some issues in the beta where 1Password can get into a state where it is locking and therefore not showing data, but not showing the lock screen, and that can result in the crash later on. We hope to have a new beta soon to help with that, and we can continue the conversation via email to get more details if needed. :)

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

So what’s the solution? Opt out of Beta? I’m logging in with my students waiting for me... I’m looking pretty incompetent at doing things like taking attendance since I need to log in to do it.

• @virtualbartek

If you wish to stop using the beta, please use this set of instructions. https://support.1password.com/betas/#to-stop-using-the-beta

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    Options

I don't wish to stop using Beta. I wish to have a working application more than a Beta version, however.

• virtualbartek
    virtualbartek
    Community Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Here's a twist to the story: 'include beta builds' is not checked in the main app on the MBA. So it seems there's an issue with your main app. It is checked on my iMac.

As someone else is using the iM at the moment, I'm going to try the opposite and install the beta on the MBA so that both are the same, and Chrome is syncing through a Google account. If that doesn't work, I'll uncheck and reinstall both non beta stable releases and see what happens. But I'm not holding my breath here.

PS
    Picture uploads is working in the forum today.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020
    Options

@virtualbartek

The beta build option is device specific. To prevent confusion please continue your discussion via email. I am going to close this discussion to prevent duplication of efforts on our part. Thank you for your understanding.

This discussion has been closed.