Hi my browser ext'n icon in firefox is grey and doesn't autofill, what do I do?

firefox is upto date
op syst win10
browser ext'n upto date

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: win10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Hi my browser ext'n icon in firefox is grey and doesn't autofill, what do I do?

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @garyburke,

If you use 1Password 7 for Windows, please make sure to check every step of our troubleshooting article here:

If the 1Password extension isn’t working in your browser

If the issue remains after that, please let me know and we will dig deeper. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• garyburke
    garyburke
    Community Member

I tried this but got lost with terminology.ie what is "1Password mini"
    & "Open/unlock 1Password"
    The way I open 1password is to go to website and sign in with master password.
    If I click on the fire fox 1P icon it then gives a dialogue asking me to signup!!
    My ext'n version is 82.0.2 64bit and I think I have 1password7

• garyburke
    garyburke
    Community Member

Hi Greg, some additional info. I also have microsoft edge browser and it has a blue 1P icon that allows me to login and autofil passwords etc. But I prefer to use firefox so that I'm not as tied to microsoft

• garyburke
    garyburke
    Community Member

Hi Greg,
    I downloaded 1password x and all is good now.
    Thanks
    PS some clear definitions about the software would be really helpful ie I have already tried to google the difference between 1passwordx and a 1password browser ext'n and got nothing meaningful

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @garyburke, sorry for the confusion! I am glad to hear that you managed to install 1Password X. Let me explain the difference between two different 1Password extensions.

Our "standard" companion 1Password extension doesn't have any information about your 1Password account and it requires a standalone 1Password app that you have to install on your computer. Here is how it works and how you can use it to save and update your passwords:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

1Password X is our new type of extension that works entirely in your browser. It doesn't need to connect to a standalone 1Password app, so it works independently (it allows 1Password X to work on Linux, Chromebooks, or work computers, where you can't install any software). You can learn more about 1Password X here:

Get to know 1Password X

If 1Password X works for you, please stick to it on your PC. We have plans to simplify this situation in the future, but I do not have anything specific to share at this point. If you have other questions, let me know. I will be happy to help. :+1:

++
    Greg

• garyburke
    garyburke
    Community Member

Thankyou Greg,
    that was helpful
    Gary

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Greg, you are welcome @garyburke! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.