Bugs in tagging: drag/drop & tag-deletion failures

Options

(1) PROBLEM: A tag can be created with a colon in its name, but this will cause drag/drop to fail.
REPRO: Create a tag, "hello: testing". Drag an item onto that tag.
YOU SEE: That item is added to a new tag, "hello", but not to "hello: testing"
If you then drag the item that's in "hello" onto "hello: testing", nothing will happen.
EXPECT: The item to be added to the tag that it's dragged onto.
ALSO EXPECT: A message, when an operation fails.
EXPECT (alternative): Don't accept a character in a tag's name, if it'll mess with the behavior.
WHY IT'S A BUG: I'm not aware of (or interested in) your internal implementation of child tags or of import, but I do expect the tag I created to be accessible by drag/drop, as well as the other methods.

(2) PROBLEM: Deleting a tag has "Cancel" as the default action, but this is invisible.
ALSO: The buttons are visually identical.
ALSO: There is no indication that you can use the keyboard to select "Delete". (You must press Tab, then Space or Enter)
ALSO: There is no access key (e.g. Alt+D) that will select Delete.
WHY THESE ARE BUGS: Good design practice, and the Windows UI standards, call for a visual indication of which button is the default value (the button that will be actuated with Enter).
They also call for access keys for buttons other than OK & Cancel. (See Microsoft's Design Basics[1].)
Deletion therefore requires using the mouse (unless you figure out the arcane "tab,enter" workaround). Because I assume that Enter will confirm my deletion, I'm left with an un-deleted tag.
This is confusing & frustrating, and gives the impression of a functional bug when it's merely a design bug.
REPRO: Click a tag. Press Delete. Press Enter.
EXPECT (IMPORTANT): Like effectively EVERY Windows app, the default button to be blue-bordered. (You can see a blue boarder in this dialog, only after pressing Tab.)
ALSO EXPECT: An underlined "D" in on the Delete button, corresponding to an Alt+D action button, for accessibility and ease of use.
EXPECT (TRIVIAL): I'd expect Enter to confirm, rather than deny, the deletion, but I'm fine with having to press Alt-D, so long as you disclose what Enter will actually do (e.g. by showing a blue-bordered Cancel button).

(3) PROBLEM: Deleting a tag brings up a warning about deleting child tags, when there are no child tags.
EXPECT: To see that warning only when child tags exist.
WHY IT'S A BUG: Because I trust you, and I assume you know whether the tag in question has children, I stop to find the child tag that doesn't exist.
ALSO: this makes the warning less salient when I actually WILL be deleting child tags.

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/uxguide/win-dialog-box

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 2004
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Netpog,

Thank you for reporting this! :+1:

I checked the behaviour on my side and was able to reproduce issues 1 and 2. I will make sure to file everything and we will improve this behaviour in the future.

As for number 3, it seems that you are talking about about the confirmation dialog that we show when you try to delete a tag:

Yes, we show it every time when you try to delete a tag, even if your tag does not have any child tags. We do not want to delete a tag without any confirmation from the user – as you understand, it would be a bad usability decision.

Let me know if you have other questions or comments about 1Password 7 for Windows, we are here to help. Thank you!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.