How does Local Folder Sync work?

I know that 1password is steering users towards syncing to your cloud. But that isn't what I want to do. For reasons not important to the thread. I'd like to use the Local Folder Sync option. The problem is that there is no documentation for it outside of this page: https://support.1password.com/local-folder/

Its trivial to move files between devices. For example, I can easily copy my vault from my laptop to my phone by hand. My question is around when will 1password update the local folder copy? Is it with every change or only when closing the app? When does 1password read the local folder copy? If the local copy changes will 1password read it quickly or only after the app is restarted?

I'm going to be using this on a Windows laptop and an Android phone.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sync

Comments

• Hey @scott_savarese

While we certainly can't recommend using Local Folder Sync when there are certainly better options available, I definitely think I can help clarify a few things here.

My question is around when will 1password update the local folder copy? Is it with every change or only when closing the app? When does 1password read the local folder copy? If the local copy changes will 1password read it quickly or only after the app is restarted?

The local vault is updated anytime any changes are made to anything within the vault, with regular backups happen whenever folder sync is enabled as well.

Likewise, any changes made will be made immediately available on the device the changes were made on, with any changes being available on any other device that also has that newly-updated local vault as well. Lastly, the vault is only "read" whenever your Master Password is entered successfully and the vault is decrypted.

I hope this helps!

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

@Blake , Thanks for the quick update. So, on unlock the synced file is read and any changes loaded in to the local copy. That part I get. However, I'm unclear on how changes are saved to my local folder copy. The local vault you mention is not what is synced around, its the backup copy you specify. You mention those backups happen regularly. But is it immediately upon a change, or a periodic backup (every 5 minutes for example, or whatever)?

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Local vault backups and local folder sync are two different things, @scott_savarese.

As Blake mentioned above, when you change an item within your local vault in 1Password 7 for Windows, a local vault file in your local folder should be updated as well. It might not be convenient to copy that local folder between your devices manually, so I would recommend you to configure a preferred sync solution for that folder separately.

As for local vault backups: when you enable sync for a local vault in 1Password 7, a backup for your local vault is created once per day when you first make a change. So, that 11/12 backup was created after the first change you made on that date. Same goes for 11/14, but it would have also captured any subsequent changes you made on 11/12. The backups files are also stored separately in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups\.

Let us know if it helps. Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use 1Password account?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

Thanks @Greg. The reason I don't want to use 1Password cloud are outside the scope of the thread (trying to keep this on point here!). Feel free to email or DM me and we can have a conversation around it.

It might not be convenient to copy that local folder between your devices manually, so I would recommend you to configure a preferred sync solution for that folder separately.

Thats the plan. My manual copy was just an example but given how infrequently I update the vault, it does work well for my Keepass DB (1password is way better). Also being the solution with fewest moving parts, any issues with the DB are not a problem with the sync but a problem with the DB getting read or written to.

As for local vault backups: when you enable sync for a local vault in 1Password 7, a backup for your local vault is created once per day when you first make a change.

So, yes backups and sync are two seperate things. I get that. But what you are saying is that when I enable sync for a local vault the copy of the vault in my sync directory is only written to once per day? Or are you saying that when I enable sync, backups are also enabled and those are written to once a day? If that is the case, when does the copy that goes in my sync folder get updated? Please say as soon as changes are made.

Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

Hi @scott_savarese,

If you have any concerns about 1Password accounts, please send us a message to support+windows@1password.com and we will continue our conversation there. Thanks! :+1:

Or are you saying that when I enable sync, backups are also enabled and those are written to once a day?

This is what I am saying. When you enable sync for a local vault in 1Password, backups are created once a day in %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\backups\.

If that is the case, when does the copy that goes in my sync folder get updated? Please say as soon as changes are made.

I believe that I answered this question – when you change an item within your local vault in 1Password 7 for Windows, a local vault file in your local folder should be updated as well. However, if I am misunderstanding this current question or if it doesn't happen for you, please clarify. We will investigate.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• scott_savarese
    scott_savarese
    Community Member

Yeah, I think we're good. I just wanted to make sure I was totally clear on how this works if I'm going to use it. Thanks @Greg .

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@scott_savarese, you are very welcome! :) :+1:

I still believe that it won't be really convenient to deal with the manual copying of your local folder on a daily basis, so I would also recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password accounts, as this is the best way to use 1Password right now.

If you have any security concerns about them, feel free to shoot us a message to the email address I shared above and we will do our best to address them.

Stay safe and be well,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.