This should be simple

Options

Hello all,

I'm trying to change my Master Password on my Windows computer. I tried following instructions which say that I should go to the Vault menu and choose Switch to Vault/ Primary. Well I don't see a Vault menu. I'm in the primary app. I tried switching to 1PasswordX in my browser. Nothing there either. The interfaces are so ridiculously different. Why for God's sake?

I have also found instructions which tell me to click my name on the top right corner and choose My Profile.Well my name is not on the top right. What's going on guys? 1Password is supposed to make our life easier -- not more complicated:(

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Cosmasad1,

Sorry for the difficulties with 1Password!

It sounds like you have a 1Password account and you are trying to change the Master Password for it. When you have 1Password account, you do not have a Primary vault (which is standalone), so the instructions that you found are not applicable to your situation.

Here is how you can change your Master Password:

If you have a 1Password account and no standalone vaults

First of all, you need to sign in to your account on 1Password.com in the browser on your PC (not in 1Password 7 for Windows):

Then, you should click your name in the upper right corner and select "My Profile":

There you will find the "Change Master Password" button:

Finally, if you’re using 1Password for Windows, you’ll need to finish changing your password in the app. Open and unlock 1Password using your old Master Password, click the red authentication error banner, and sign in with your new Master Password.

I would also recommend to print out your new Emergency Kit after these steps, write the Master Password in the space provided, and keep it somewhere safe and secure. This way you won't get locked out of your 1Password account in the future.

Let me know if it helps and answers your question about the Master Password change in 1Password. I apologise for the confusion once again. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Cosmasad1
    Cosmasad1
    Community Member
    edited November 2020
    Options

Greg,

I don't see what you are showing in the #1 arrow above. What I see when I click on my Chrome Password is attached:

And if I click on the Gear icon I don't see any thing like what the #2 arrow is showing. Here is what I see:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hi @Cosmasad1,

It looks like you open 1Password X in your browser. This is a 1Password extension, where you access your data, but it is not possible to change your Master Password from there.

You will need to visit https://my.1password.com/signin and sign in to your account there. Could you please try to do that?

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Cosmasad1
    Cosmasad1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Greg,

Υou made my day. Ιt worked! Can you tell me now about what the pros and cons are of using the 1Password X extention in my browser vs. using the app that's in my computer?

And do I have to enter my master password every time I want to sign in to a website that has a user name and password or is there a way to "unlock" 1Password at the beginning of the day and have it stay unlocked all day?

Thank you!

• Hi @Cosmasad1: I'm glad this worked and @Greg was able to assist and help you through these steps.

The pros and cons of 1Password X vs. the desktop app depend entirely on your workflow and how you would like to be using each. On a personal level, I use 1Password X for my everyday browsing and login creation. I then move over to 1Password for Windows when I need to make any major edits and modifications to saved items.

And do I have to enter my master password every time I want to sign in to a website that has a user name and password or is there a way to "unlock" 1Password at the beginning of the day and have it stay unlocked all day?

As 1Password X has temporarily had desktop app integration removed, you will need to re-enter your Master Password when you close down the browser. If you are leaving your browser open, there are auto-lock settings that can be adjusted in 1Password X - Open and unlock 1Password X > click the "gear icon" > Settings > Security.

If you would like to keep 1Password unlocked in your browser, you'll want to use the Windows desktop companion extension instead of 1Password X. The companion extension works alongside of the desktop app and relies on it's lock state.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions.

• Cosmasad1
    Cosmasad1
    Community Member
    Options

Hey ag_mike_d, Thank you for your answer. Am I right in saying that the Windows desktop companion extension you mention above also works like an extension in your browser but is not as robust as 1Password X? and... that "X" is the new more features filled version of the former?

• Good morning @Cosmasad1,

That is correct, the 1Password for Windows (or Mac) companion app extension is the browser extension to the desktop apps and does requires the desktop app to operate. 1Password X simplifies things as it operates standalone within your browser without need of a desktop app. As an example of a feature with X, when creating a new log in from a given website, it will suggest a strong password based on the settings in the Password Generator and save those new credentials right from the account creation page.

If you are interested in a quick read, please take a look at this blog about 1Password X and you can always visit our support page for more details about 1Password X.

Thanks and have a great day!

• Cosmasad1
    Cosmasad1
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Mike. That is very helpful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Mike, you are very welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.