1Password 6 will not open in Big Sur

2»

Comments

• Kir
    Kir
    Community Member

I downloaded a fresh copy of v.7 from the 1Password website and not from the Mac App Store, and I don't see an option to purchase a license. There's only the subscription option. How do I get it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kir - membership will be the way forward with 1Password 7 for Mac and future versions. If you have a standalone setup and you've either created a new vault or imported/synced existing standalone vaults, you should be able to click 1Password > License and click the "Buy Now" window in the pop-up window. That should bring you to the Purchase Options pop-up which will have a link to "Need a license? We have those too."

• Kir
    Kir
    Community Member

Thanks, but I don't have a "License" item in my 1Password menu.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Kir - what do you see if you open 1Password > Preferences > Accounts - is there an account listed there?

• Kir
    Kir
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Yes but there is no option to buy a license. If I click "Your 1Password account is in trial mode" the only choice is the monthly subscription.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021

@Kir - that would explain it, then: you opened a 1password.com account when you installed 1Password 7 for Mac. The reason you can no longer choose the standalone license purchase option is that when you have a 1password.com account, a license is not required -- 1Password accounts come with all four of our native applications (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) included at no extra charge.

If you want to switch to a license, you would need to create a standalone vault, transfer all of the 1Password data that is in the account vault(s) into that standalone vault, then remove the account -- you will then be able to follow my above instructions to purchase a license. Here are specific steps to do that.

• ToddHerron
    ToddHerron
    Community Member

I lost several hours on this. Very frustrating.

If a version of 1Password detects it is on an unsupported OS version, then it should say "1Password not supported on this version of MacOS. Please upgrade 1Password." It's literally 5 lines of code in your 1Password software. Probably less.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ToddHerron:

Thank you for the suggestion! I am not a developer so I cannot comment on how many lines of code this would require, but I will be happy to pass your feedback to the team :+1:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ToddHerron - that's not quite what the OP was referring to. Kir's situation was that they were looking for the license purchase option after having already created and set up a 1password.com account within 1Password. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you sound like you're talking about a much different problem,

If a version of 1Password detects it is on an unsupported OS version, then it should say "1Password not supported on this version of MacOS. Please upgrade 1Password."

Can you clarify the problem you were actually having, so we know if we can assist - or at least make sure you've got everything squared away now? On our downloads page, you can see that we do indeed give the minimum requirements for the current version of 1Password (version 7 for Mac in this example):

And if you download it anyway on an older system and then try to install it, you do indeed get such a message regarding incompatibility:

If you were having a different issue, and you still need assistance, we'd be happy to help; just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.