Password generation and storing recipe

Is it possible to store the password recipe for every password entry in every object.

For example i must use two or sometimes three password for an banking account.
One is a 4 digit pin, the other password can use special chars, uppercase, lowercase letters and numbers.
The last password should use a simple password structure to remember.

if i want to change a passwords i must every time specify wich kind of Password should be generated.

It could help to specify the special chars for the special passwords. Some logins do not accept points (.) as special chars.
An other Problem is that i can not specify that the password must use numbers.

If i generate an new password must sometimes generate the password until it uses all specified security features (uppercase, lowercase, numbers and special chars). Sometimes i must generate the password three times or must add or replace one char with a number.

with other words:
Why is there only "allows numbers" and not "requires numbers"?

1 am using 1password as windows app, chrome plugin and on android mobile phone

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 2004
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @gnorf, thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password!

First of all, let me answer your question right away: it is not possible to store a unique recipe for each password field that you have in your Login item. We are always looking at ways to improve 1Password and its password generator, so I will make sure to pass your feedback to our team.

If you have several fields to save and fill on the webpage, I would recommend you to save such Login item manually, as described here:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

This way 1Password will be able to save the contents of all fields, no matter what you have in them. Let me know how it works.

As for the password generator in 1Password and the password requirements that are different on each website you visit: there are some great advancements coming from Apple and the password management community in this regard. There is a GitHub repository that is now tracking the password requirements for various sites: https://github.com/apple/password-manager-resources/blob/main/README.md

We are currently using this repo with 1Password X, and will be looking into how we can expand that usage going forward. :+1:

Let me know if it helps and answers your question. If you have any further questions, we are here to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• gnorf
    gnorf
    Community Member

1) My biggest problem:
    The Password generator in windows generates password without numbers, sometimes.

Also if i select "allow numbers"

2) is it possible to add a password generator to 1PasswordX.
    If i want to change a password in chrome i can select a recommended password.
    But there is no way to influence the password generation recipe.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gnorf,

The Password generator in windows generates password without numbers, sometimes.

Could you please specify which password generator you use? When I select "Allow digits" in a password generator in 1Password 7 for Windows, it works okay:

2) is it possible to add a password generator to 1PasswordX

Indeed, it is not possible to customise the suggested password in 1Password X at the moment, but there is a password generator in 1Password X and you can find it after clicking the big "+" icon:

Could you please give it a try and let me know if this is what you need? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• gnorf
    gnorf
    Community Member

1) My version is 1Password for Windows 7.6.785
    The problem occurs randomly. Sometime i can generate 10 password with numbers. Sometimes i have three times in a row passwords without any number.

2) Thats what i need :) ;)
    I tried to generate 30 Passwords. and every password contains an number.
    It seems it works perfect in 1PasswordX.

But now i have two new questions :)
    3) In 1 Password X is a password history for the last 3 month. How can i deactivate that

4) This History in the Windows Version does not work. It only shows the last changes Password.
    But the are also two "app password"s and a "super pin". For the test I made the error to save a new generated super-pin.
    So the last one was overwritten and it is not shown in the 1Password-Windows-App in the history.

I am lucky now that i have checked it again before i wanted to destroy the original.

• hubbabubba
    hubbabubba
    Community Member

I second everything OP says. The password generator is a little narrow-minded in the face of all the unique requirements out there.

Personally I mainly use words and hyphens to generate passwords on the off chance that I have to manually type the password or convey it with words to a third party. More often than not, however, it feels like I have to manually add random numbers and capital letters to have it be accepted.

Surely the password generator could easily generate stronger password if it automatically capitalized random words and inserted numbers?

instead of :
    lackey-iceberg-franco

you get:
    Lackey-4-iceberg-Franco

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@gnorf:

In 1 Password X is a password history for the last 3 month. How can i deactivate that

It is not possible to change or clear the password generator history in 1Password X right now. I'll forward it to our team and see if this perhaps can be filed as a feature request.

The generator keeps the history of generated passwords as a failsafe, and it is a very important failsafe. Sometimes users don't save a newly generated password after they used it on a website, so this is where they can find the generated password and regain access to their accounts.

4) This History in the Windows Version does not work. It only shows the last changes Password.

But the are also two "app password"s and a "super pin". For the test I made the error to save a new generated super-pin.
    So the last one was overwritten and it is not shown in the 1Password-Windows-App in the history.

There is no such filesafe, however, when you generate a password manually in 1Password 7 for Windows. It doesn't save a password until you save your item. We do not recommend creating your passwords manually via 1Password 7 for Windows – it is not really convenient. Please try to use 1Password X or 1Password companion extension instead. When you generate a password with the help of a password generator in 1Password extension, it is automatically saved as an item in the Passwords category of your vault. It works as a backup plan, if you happen not to save a Login item you generated a password for. Let me know if helps.

--

@hubbabubba:

Indeed, each website has unique requirements and we are looking at ways at how we can improve the password generator to reflect them. Have you checked the Apple project that I mentioned above? It is a good advancement in this area and we are looking forward to what else we can do here. I will share your feedback regarding the password generator with our team and it is really appreciated.

If you have other questions, feel free to raise them. We are here to help. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• hubbabubba
    hubbabubba
    Community Member

I didn't see that github, and it's a bit too technical for me. :) But it looks like the exact thing that I had in mind when thinking about this issue: we need a solid standard for logins that streamlines the process, and ensures that password managers always work with one click of a button.

Glad to see that it's an issue that is being taken seriously in the industry!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hubbabubba,

Yes, it is great to see the developments and the big players in this area. :) The rules from this repository are already used in 1Password X and coming to other 1Password apps in the future. Please stay tuned.

If you have other questions, we are always here for you. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.