Flatpak package [Planned]

edited November 2020 in Linux Beta

Hi! Flatpak is a package management system for Linux, that's supported across a variety of distributions.

It provides some pretty good isolation for desktop apps, which I personally appreciate due to the added security (it's not absolute isolation, but at least processes can't read freely read one's home filesystem without approval and other enhancements).

I've been thinking about creating a package with 1Password, would you guys be okay with that being submitted to Flathub?

Basically the descriptor for the package has this format, and merely fetches the source from your site:

app-id: org.onepassword.onepassword
runtime: org.freedesktop.Platform
runtime-version: '20.08'
sdk: org.freedesktop.Sdk
command: /app/squashfs-root/1password
modules:
  - name: 1password
    buildsystem: simple
    build-commands:
      - chmod +x 1password-0.9.5-2.AppImage
      - ./1password-0.9.5-2.AppImage --appimage-extract
      - cp -r squashfs-root/ /app
      # - install -D 1password-0.9.5-2.AppImage /app/bin/1password
    sources:
      - type: file
        url: https://downloads.1password.com/linux/appimage/1password-0.9.5-2.AppImage
        sha512: 6bfc61c9da5cca90279664ab7aab0cb30569720fb9bd168accc65068b570e11ba5c59942d19d88baa7c42dd4d647686b9480bd1d957df956dff2562b9846a5b0
finish-args:
  - --socket=x11
  - --share=network

Note: this is just and example and doesn't yet work.
It's just to kind reflect how the package is generated. Also, this still fails due to some SUID error with a bundled helper.

1Password Version: 0.9.5-2.AppImage
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: ArchLinux
Sync Type: n/a
Referrer: forum-search:flatpak

Comments

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member
    edited November 2020

Hi @WhyNotHugo,

Thanks for taking the time to write in and for helping us with Flatpak, it is appreciated!

We do have plans to support Flatpak and Flathub, we've mentioned this a while ago in a thread here.

We just need time to set it all up to automate this in-house. We've just finished adding AUR support recently after adding Snap and we're working to add more including Flatpak.

According to Flathub here, they'd prefer that we do this as transferring ownership can be a bit problematic. So, let me nudge our team and see if we can do something sooner rather than later.

ref: dev/core/core#2453

• Thanks for your reply!

Seems like I missed the above link, thanks for pointing it out.

I take if you'd rather submit this yourselves rather than go through the transfer process then. If I manage to get a working flatpak descriptor then, I'll just go ahead and post it here so you guy can handle is as you prefer.

Thanks, cheers!

• BlakeBlake

Team Member

Thanks a ton for that @WhyNotHugo -- you can certainly post the flatpak descriptor here and we can grab the reigns and take it from there. 😊

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file