1. Autofill not working. 2. NOT asking to save or update login information. 3. Amazon login.

I am in the process of switching my wife's computer from Edge to Chrome. I have been using Chrome on my personal computer for about a year without major issues. She already had Chrome and 1P button running...so I activated. Also, my computer uses the same versions of software that my wife's computer uses (Identified in Additional Information below).

1. On my wife's computer clicking the main windows app, the google chrome 1P Extension button, the 1P mini button, or the main 1P app "open and fill" will not fill the login screens. In fact nothing happens when pressed. I tried rebooting, exiting and restarting, existing and running setup, removing the MS Edge 1PX, and made sure Chrome is the default browser. Nothing helped. What should I try next?

2. Also 1P not asking to update or save a password in Chrome. Something wrong or corrupt.

3. On any computer, I have never been able to get Amazon login (user name and password split between 2 screens) to work correctly. I always have to click the Chrome extension button twice to log in. I tried the help file ( https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/) but no help. I did not build the 2 separate login items noted in the blurb because that defeats the purpose of what I want to do. I also have to do the same on my iPhone (e.g. open 1P, select Amazon, then continue after name field filled, then continue, then open 1P again, select Amazon, then continue after password fills.) With so many 000's of people using Amazon, I am surprised you do not have a "hard" fix for this login on all Windows and iPhone platforms. Or have I missed something?

1Password Version: 7.6.787
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: ??
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill will not work

Comments

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

I considered removing 1P from wife's computer and reinstalling. Since too much to relearn about install everything again, I decided to wait for your suggestions.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member

Well I tried something else...I deleted the Chrome extension and reinstalled it. Voila! Problem 1 solved. Problem 2 and 3 still there.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @break80,

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that you managed to reinstall 1Password extension in Chrome.

1P not asking to update or save a password in Chrome. Something wrong or corrupt.

If you reinstalled 1Password extension, could you please tell me what happens when you click 1Password icon in Chrome now? Does it open 1Password extension?

I have never been able to get Amazon login (user name and password split between 2 screens) to work correctly.

I have an Amazon Login item in my personal vault and it works correctly. Could you please specify the exact steps that you take to create your Login item?

This info will be really helpful and I will be happy to help. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jmeg8237
    jmeg8237
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Especially when I've saved login entries manually, I've often had to troubleshoot why autofill wouldn't work, and it usually comes down to the field name used on the HTML web page does not match the field names used by 1Password (I believe by default they are "username" and "password").

I've generally found the easiest way around this is to edit your saved 1 Password record to remove the web URL entry, and then log into the page using your credentials. The fact that 1Password cannot find a matching web URL should mean 1Password will think this is a new, unsaved entry, and prompt 1Password to ask if you want to save the login as a new entry (I say "should" because recently I've realized this doesn't always work, although I'm not sure why) and it will save it with the correct field names.

If you're somewhat adventurous or have any software experience, you can try to decipher the HTML code used on the page by looking at the source code. (In Chrome, it's View/Developer/View Source.) I've almost always been able to identify that, for example, the web page is actually using something like "id" instead of "username", and when I edit the 1Password entry (Edit, then at the bottom View Saved Form Details) and change the names above my saved credentials. I'm not a software developer, but I do have some programming experience, so I may have an edge in that area, and it's probably not something everyone is going to be able to do. But there's no harm in looking at the source code, and you might enjoy trying to figure it out.

Regarding the multiscreen logins, I've not had a problem with those in Chrome, although I will admit I can't recall having to do that recently, so maybe something has changed. But usually clicking the 1P autofill button populates whatever data is being requested on that page, and you move on. Yes, it's a multistep process, but my experience has been it works. My big complaint right now is the final "click OK" action in autofill no longer works on (I think) any web page I log into. It used to work; I would autofill, the fields would populate, and automatically complete the login. But now, autofill populates the credentials, but I find I have to click the button myself or login never completes.

Hope this helps.
    John

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jmeg8237, thank you for chipping in and sharing your helpful experience! :)

As for the auto-submit change that you noticed: if you are using 1Password on your Mac, it would explain it. The autosubmit feature is not available on macOS anymore: Apple made some changes to the OS some time ago, and removed what 1Password required in order to autosubmit. So the feature is not available in 1Password 7 for Mac.

This change did not affect 1Password for Windows, obviously, so it still possible to autosubmit credentials there.

If you have any other questions, we are always ready to help. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jmeg8237
    jmeg8237
    Community Member

Greg:
    Thanks very much for the explanation, and, yes, I am on a Mac. I figured there was probably an explanation for the behavior. I think my wife is actually more annoyed at it than I am; she likes to just use the Open and Fill approach, and she now has to take that final step on her own.

Huge fan of the product, been using it for years, and I recommend it to a LOT of people. I used to work in IT security on the network side (firewalls, intrusion detection, network admission control, etc., but now retired) and so I have probably a better understanding of IT security issues than most of the general public. I'm a firm believer that a good approach to passwords is crucial, and in today's world, that includes a tool for good password management.

John

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020

Hi @jmeg8237,

You are very welcome! :) If you are on Mac, then we have pinpointed the exact reason for why it happened. Your wife and you can try to use a keyboard shortcut to fill the credentials on the webpage (Cmd + \) – it is quite easy to press Enter to submit the form after that.

Thank you for your kind words! I will make sure to pass them to our team – your feedback is really appreciated and and help us get better. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions about 1Password, we are always ready to help.

Stay safe and be well,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.