Tangerine bank pin shows as vulnerable on 1Password for Windows but does not on 1Password for macOS

Options
Shawzborne
Shawzborne
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi Team,

Tangerine bank along with 8 other login items show as vulnerable in watchtower on 1Password for Windows 10 Pro 7.6.785 but shows "All good!" on watchtower for 1Password for macOS 7.7 (70700015).

Total items showing on each system:

Windows: 543
macOS: 543

Watchtower item counts between systems:

Windows:

Compromised Websites: 0
Vulnerable Passwords: 9
Reused Passwords: 8
Weak Passwords: 7
Unsecured Websites: 8
Two-Factor Authentication: 7
Expiring: 1

macOS:

Compromised Websites: 0
Vulnerable Passwords: 0
Reused Passwords: 8
Weak Passwords: 13
Unsecured Websites: 8
Two-Factor Authentication: 7
Expiring: 1

Thank-you,

Shawn

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 19042.630
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shawzborne, thank you for reporting this!

Could you please open and unlock 1Password 7 on your Windows PC and go to Settings > Watchtower and click "Update now" there? Does the issue remain after that?

Also, are all those items marked by 1Password for Windows PINs? Please specify.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Shawzborne
    Shawzborne
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

-Yes the issue remains after updating watchtower on all 3 computers

On Windows:

Vulnerable Passwords (9):

• Airmiles: Pin, Library: Pin, Tangerine: Pin. Rest are passwords.

Reused Passwords(8) [these items match the macOS items so are in sync (I guess)]:
    -None are pins

Weak Passwords(7):

• Airmiles: Pin, Library: Pin, Tangerine: Pin. Rest are passwords.

On macOS:

I noticed something even more strange just now while getting the item counts for you:

My MacBook Air is showing 13 Vulnerable Passwords and MacBook Pro is showing 0 Vulnerable Passwords
    (the checkbox in Preferences> Watchtower was checked for vulnerable passwords (on the MacBook Pro) same with all of the other checkboxes, I unchecked vulnerable passwords checkbox and re-checked it and now the 13 item count appears (you might want to report this bug also).

Vulnerable Passwords (13):

• Airmiles: Pin, Library: Pin, Tangerine: Pin, Whatsapp: Pin (oddly doesn't show on windows version so another issue here), garage door code: Pin, Electronic Door lock: Pin, iPhone unlock: Pin Rest are passwords (and of course not showing all of the same items as windows).

Reused Passwords (8) [these items match the windows reused password counts items so are in sync (I guess)]:
    -None are pins

Weak Passwords (13):

• Airmiles: Pin, Library: Pin, Tangerine: Pin, Whatsapp: Pin (oddly doesn't show on windows version so another issue here), garage door code: Pin, Electronic Door lock: Pin, iPhone unlock: Pin. Rest are passwords (and of course not showing all of the same items as windows).
  • Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shawzborne,

I agree, this discrepancy is quite strange. Have you tried unchecking and checking other Watchtower boxes in 1Password 7 on your Mac? Does it change anything?

I remember seeing other reports about Watchtower mismatch, for example, see this reply from Kate in a similar thread. It does sound like your situation with PINs, 1Password for Mac is misbehaving and not marking them as weak passwords.

Am I right to understand that you use the same local vault in 1Password apps on all devices? Please confirm.

In the future, we want to make Watchtower experience more consistent across the platforms, so please stay tuned. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Shawzborne
    Shawzborne
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg

Yes, I checked and un-checked all of the watchtower boxes on both macs as well as the windows 10 pc.

Yes, I am using the same local Dropbox vault on all 5 devices.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shawzborne,

Have you checked the second discussion? Does it sound like something that you have with weak passwords mismatch now?

I will also ask my team to take a closer look at your report. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shawzborne,

I talked to my team about this issue. Most likely, you see this mismatch because of the different Watchtower algorithms that are used in 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac to count the vulnerable and weak passwords. There is a difference between those algorithms and we want to address this existing discrepancy with our future updates for both platforms. The things that we have in mind take time, but they will make 1Password experience more consistent everywhere.

Unfortunately, I do not have anything to share at this point and I don't even have a possible workaround for you. Please let me know if that information from Kate helps and raise any other questions if you have them. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• Shawzborne
    Shawzborne
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Thank-you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Greg, you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.