Master password deleted - can get in on iPhone with Face ID but can't change password - HELP

Options
ChanelCinq
ChanelCinq
Community Member

So I recently changed my master password. The only place it was stored was in a Gmail draft. Instead of copying the password, I typed a "ç" instead. I have a desktop Mac and a MacBook Pro and the copy part of copy and paste is different on those two products and even after 30 years I STILL make this mistake every once in a while.

The good news is after reading the FAQs it suggests getting into your account on another device. OK, great I can get in with Face ID on my iPhone and also with my fingerprint on my MacBook Pro. So I followed the instructions on how to change your password when you don't have your master password but you can get into your account on another device. However, what the FAQ does NOT say is that the other account wants my previous password before I can change my password. So isn't this a catch 22? So please help.

There has to be a way to change my password if I am in the account but I don't have the current password. I did search for this but nothing came up so I didn't know what search terms to use to narrow it down. PLease, please help!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ChanelCinq
    ChanelCinq
    Community Member
    Options

So the title says it. I accidentally deleted my Mater Password.

The good news is after reading the FAQs it suggests getting into your account on another device.  I can get in with Face ID on my iPhone and also with my fingerprint on my MacBook Pro.  So I followed the instructions on how to change your password when you don't have your master password but you can get into your account on another device. 

However, what the FAQ does NOT say is that the other accounts want my current password before I can change my password.  Help!!! What can I do??

• Ben
    Options

Hi @ChanelCinq

I see you've also written to us about this via email. To avoid duplicating efforts I'm going to close this thread, but we'll be in touch via email ASAP. Thanks.

Ben

ref: BFC-36824-655

• ChanelCinq
    ChanelCinq
    Community Member
    Options

DON'T CLOSE MY POST. JUST ANSWER THE DARN QUESTION. THE ONLY REASON I AM POSTING FOR HELP IN THE COMMUNITY IS BECAUSE YOUR SUPPORT DEPT TAKES MANY DAYS TO ANSWER. EITHER ANSWER THE QUESTION OR LEAVE IT OPEN FOR THE COMMUNITY TO ANSWER IT. DO NOT CLOSE MY POST!!!!!!!!! OR WRIE FAQs THAT ACTUALLY WORK!!!!

I accidentally deleted my Mater Password.

The good news is after reading the FAQs it suggests getting into your account on another device. I can get in with Face ID on my iPhone and also with my fingerprint on my MacBook Pro. So I followed the instructions on how to change your password when you don't have your master password but you can get into your account on another device.

However, what the FAQ does NOT say is that the other accounts want my current password before I can change my password. Help!!! What can I do??

• ChanelCinq
    ChanelCinq
    Community Member
    Options

Also, why would you delete this because if someone answers it then it will help other people that have the same issue? You people really have some backwards support. Why even have a help forum if you just close the posts because an email was sent in. You need to straighten out your logic. I doubt the founder would appreciate your doing this.

• ChanelCinq
    ChanelCinq
    Community Member
    Options

So the answer if anyone has the same issue and finds this in a search is in your logins the app creates a login for 1Password so you can click reveal and get your master password from there.

You guys still need to update your FAQs to state this. It is not intuitive or I would have known it was there.

• ChanelCinq
    ChanelCinq
    Community Member
    Options

So the answer if anyone has the same issue and finds this in a search is in your logins the app creates a login for 1Password so you can click reveal and get your master password from there. Then you don't need to change your password as you have located it. Yet the FAQs do not mention any of this. Please update your FAQs.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thanks for the feedback regarding the guide. I'll speak with our documentation team and see if we can add that in there.

Update: in prepping for this discussion with the documentation team I checked the guide, and it is actually already noted in both the iOS and Mac guides:

BECAUSE YOUR SUPPORT DEPT TAKES MANY DAYS TO ANSWER

We responded inside of 1 hour in this case. I do apologize for any previous delays you may've experienced.

Regarding the closure of the thread... From our community rules (agreed to upon signup):

Unless requested to do so by a 1Password Team Member, please do not contact us about an issue by multiple support channels (e.g. both the forum and email). Doing so slows down the support process for everyone by causing duplication of effort.

Posting in multiple spots causes a duplication of efforts for us, which slows down support for everyone, including you. :) Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.