Desktop App Not Opening

Options
772pilot
772pilot
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi there,

As of today I can no longer open the 1Password desktop app from my system tray.

Right-clicking on the tray icon reveals the context menu, but none of the options do anything (except 'Exit').

I have tried restarting the desktop app (via Exit & task manager), restarting my computer, and even reinstalling the 1Password desktop app to no avail.

I'm wondering if this is at all related to a cumulative windows update I installed today (KB4592438). Any help would be appreciated!

UPDATE: I'm noticing now that if I click on '1Password mini' or '1Password app' in the tray icon context menu, my taskbar loses focus for a split second as though a new window were opening up, but nothing actually appears.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.22.6
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.685
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @772pilot,

This is really strange indeed. Could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and see how 1Password behaves in there?

If it works correctly in Safe Mode, we will need to investigate further. It is also possible that it crashes silently in the background, but let's check the Safe Mode first. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• 772pilot
    772pilot
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hi Greg!

Happy to report back that it works perfectly in safe mode w/ networking.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @772pilot,

If it works in Safe Mode with Networking, it is possible that something else interferes here. Do you have any kind of AV/anti-malware software on this computer? If you do, please try to disable it temporarily and check if the issue remains.

Also, do you have any other pending Windows update on this computer? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• 772pilot
    772pilot
    Community Member
    Options

At the moment I'm only using windows defender. No other pending updates at this time.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @772pilot,

It is quite strange then. 🤔

I'm noticing now that if I click on '1Password mini' or '1Password app' in the tray icon context menu, my taskbar loses focus for a split second as though a new window were opening up, but nothing actually appears.

When you do that, does 1Password icon disappear from the system tray? Please let me know.

Also, please try to uninstall 1Password 7 for Windows completely, and install the latest beta from here. Does the issue remain with it?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• 772pilot
    772pilot
    Community Member
    Options

The icon disappears of I click on 'Settings' in the context menu. Same behavior with the beta.

• 772pilot
    772pilot
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE: I rolled back a few recent windows updates (mostly cumulative updates & the 20H2 Feature Update) and the issue has gone away. I'll try and figure out which update broke things on my end. I've also been experiencing a recent issue with Autodesk Fusion 360 that went away after I rolled back, so I'm guessing it's also related to that.

• Rolling back from 20H2 and everything going back to a useable state is certainly a bit strange, @772pilot. Then again, Windows updates tend to be a mixed bag from time-to-time.

If you do find out which particular part of the 20H2 update broke things for you, please let us know! 💙

This discussion has been closed.