How do I stop 1Password from EVER locking on Windows and IOS

Options

I live alone. No one else has access to my systems. My network is firewalled off like you cannot believe. I am not worried about anyone getting access to my machines. I am, however, very concerned about having an online Password Database secured so I use a ridiculously long and complex password to lock 1Password down.

On both Windows and IOS, there is no way I can find to keep the program from locking at all occasions. Windows locks when the systems sleep and IOS locks after two weeks no matter what I do. My Windows box sleeps 5-10 times per day between work sessions. Sometimes I have to type in the password to unlock the extension and then again to unlock 1Password. I get the need for security, but come on.

Please add a method for me to keep them from locking at all. Even if I have to unlock after a Windows Shutdown or an IOS restart, I can live with that. There should be a way to turn that off too, but I am OK as long as I can limit the password entry to those cases and keep it unlocked the rest of the time.

As it stands, your attempt to be more secure forces a less secure environment as, on Windows, I have a macro key on my keyboard to input the password and on IOS I have it copied to a publicly accessible Notepad so I can copy and paste.

Only downside I see from switching from Keepass is this. And before anyone notes that Keepass locks when you restart Windows, that is OK because my password was basic since it is a local install that I do not have to worry about being hacked.

If this is not something there is any intention of doing, if 1Pass disagrees that they should let me configure as I want or if the technology is designed such that this is not feasbile, I fully understand. Please say so and I will move along and not let the door hit me on the way out.

Thanks in advance!

Shan

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.222.3
OS Version: Win10 20H2 Build 19042.685
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @shangreer! Welcome to the forum!

There is no way to never have to unlock 1Password I am afraid. You can extend the auto-lock times based on your preferences, but certain events will always require you to unlock.

Even if I have to unlock after a Windows Shutdown or an IOS restart, I can live with that. There should be a way to turn that off too, but I am OK as long as I can limit the password entry to those cases and keep it unlocked the rest of the time.

This will definitely happen, and it will always be the case. If we added an option like this, it would mean that the Master Password would need to be stored somewhere on your system, which goes against our security design. We believe your Master Password should not be stored anywhere, so at the very least you will be required to enter it after a device reboot.

As it stands, your attempt to be more secure forces a less secure environment as, on Windows, I have a macro key on my keyboard to input the password and on IOS I have it copied to a publicly accessible Notepad so I can copy and paste.

Storing your Master Password in a pubic notebook is not something that we recommend, although that is certainly your prerogative. I wonder if you have perhaps considered using Face ID or Windows Hello to unlock 1Password instead?

• shangreer
    shangreer
    Community Member
    Options

I do use Face ID to unlock, but it seems like 1Password requires typing in the password after a reset most of the time. As I said, there is 0 chance that anyone is going to get access to my iPad, short of them breaking into the house and, since I work from home there are not many opportunities for that. Additionally, they have to break iPad security in less than 10 attempts to get access even if they get their hands on it.

What about sleeping. There should be no reason you cannot enable it to never autolock at sleep. Since the environment is retained during sleep, there should be no issues with storing the Master Password locally. Is this something that can be enabled and I am missing it somewhere?

I 100% understand your desire to have top notch security. On my work system, I get it. But the need for security is different for a home user than a Enterprise customer. Every site that really needs to be secured (such as my bank or even Amazon or Newegg) have some form of two-factor security. I think forcing the system to lock (outside of reboots or restarts) is going overboard and forces your users to use a less than secure password, as most cannot remember a 30 digit password, for their master password.

I do appreciate the quick response and transparency. I love the app but don't want to invest too much time in if it will not work for my needs.

Shan

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@shangreer:

I do use Face ID to unlock, but it seems like 1Password requires typing in the password after a reset most of the time.

If by "reset" you mean a reboot, that's indeed correct: this is the same thing that happens in iOS itself. You can use Face ID to unlock your phone, but you will always need to enter your PIN after a reboot. Your Master Password is required after a reboot, and there is no option to change that, since your Master Password is not stored on your device for security reasons.

What about sleeping. There should be no reason you cannot enable it to never autolock at sleep. Since the environment is retained during sleep, there should be no issues with storing the Master Password locally. Is this something that can be enabled and I am missing it somewhere?

Do you have the option Lock when computer is locked disabled already in the 1Password settings? (assuming your computer locks when going to sleep)

When it comes to your Windows PC however, I think enabling Windows Hello would help, because 1Password does not have options to make it never lock I am afraid (here are the instructions on how to change the autolock settings in 1Password for Windows).

• shangreer
    shangreer
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Yes, I have already disabled the Lock when he computer is locked option. Thanks for the help. I believe I have enough info to determine my next steps. Have a great day!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day too :)

This discussion has been closed.