On occasion, I can autofill the password for a website without first signing into 1Password

When accessing a password-requiring website, on occasion I have been able to autofill the username and password from my 1Password vault without first signing into iPassword. I feel fairly certain that I had not recently signed into 1Password for use on another website. If at some point I had, I feel very certain that it would have been far more than 10 minutes (auto-lock interval) since I had been engaged with that site. In fact, I believe this phenomenon has occurred when first booting up and attempting to access a password-requiring website before I had engaged in any other internet activity. Please apprise. Many thanks. Maury.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Autofill without signing in

Comments

• Maury
    Maury
    Community Member

To add to comment just posted, I am using 1Password X and a pc running Windows 7, 64-bit. Maury.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Maury ,

It is very easy to see if 1Password is locked or not. There's a little padlock on the extension's icon on the top right corner of your browser if it is locked, and the padlock disappears when it is unlocked.

By default, 1Password X will lock when:

• You restart/shutdown the computer.
    • You close the browser.
    • The computer goes to sleep.
    • You don't touch the computer for 10 minutes (meaning computer idle time, so only when you don't touch it at all).

If you just restart the computer and 1Password was locked, it might be possible that something else provided autofilling suggestions, such as your browser's built-in password manager or another 3rd party extension that you might have installed in the past.

You can disable your browser's password manager (if not already disabled) like so: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/
    For 3rd party extensions, open your browser's extensions page and see what is installed. Disable/remove any and all extensions you don't use or know.

• Eclancy1
    Eclancy1
    Community Member

I have a similar issue. After 1Password autolocks and I click in to enter my password, 1Password fills it in for me. Windows 10 has a glitch in it that wakes up the computer right after it goes to "sleep," so--wild guess--maybe that might be affecting 1Password autolock.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Eclancy1 ,
    Nothing can autofill your Master Password in the 1Password unlock screen, unless you copy your Master Password from somewhere else and paste it into the unlock popup.

How are you trying to unlock your 1Password extension, do you click on the extension's icon on the top right corner of your browser where you see the 1Password icon with the padlock on it? Or are you visiting our website to log into your account there?

• Eclancy1
    Eclancy1
    Community Member

When I go to the 1Password website, it says, "Your session has ended after XX minutes of inactivity." Below that statement is the block for entering my Master Password and directly below that is a 1Password icon for my 1Password account. When I click on that icon, 1Password fills in my Master Password and then I'm able to use 1Password to get into all my password protected websites. I do not have to copy and paste my Master Password in the unlock screen to open it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Eclancy1 ,

What you are describing is our web-app, which you can access via https://my.1password.com. It is not your 1Password app or the extension in your browser, it is a website through which you can access your data. Your 1Password extension is already unlocked, so it offers to autofill your Master Password on that website just like it would suggest autofilling on any other website when it is unlocked. You must differentiate between the extension and your account on our website, the two are different entities with different auto-lock settings.

You don't need to go to that website at all when you are using 1Password. If you look on the top right corner of your browser you should see the 1Password extension icon there. It might be hiding inside a grey puzzle icon, so check there if you don't see it. Once you find that 1Password extension icon, right click it and select "Lock", then you'll see what it looks like when it is locked. Left click it to show the Master Password unlock screen, which cannot be autofilled.

When you use 1Password, your workflow should look somewhat similar to this:
    1. Open your browser.
    2. Click the 1Password extension icon on the top right corner of your browser's toolbar and unlock it with your Master Password.
    3. Go to any website you want and enjoy 1Password's autofilling to help you log into places.

At no point should you need to visit our website to log into your account unless you want to see your data there or edit logins (or edit your account's settings). In normal use, it is enough to unlock the extension and use it while you browse the web :)

• Eclancy1
    Eclancy1
    Community Member

That's helpful information. I am still having a problem with 1Password not locking, but I think I better understand the issue.

The problem seems to be that the 1Password extension does not lock when the computer goes to sleep. I set my computer to go to sleep after 45 minutes. In the 1Password extension, I set it to lock after the computer goes to sleep but did not set it to lock after a certain number of minutes. (In the web-app, I similarly set 1Passworde to lock after 45 minutes.) When I start using my computer after 45 minutes--when it should have gone to sleep--1Password still works. I go to a site for which 1Password has my password, and 1Password will fill it in. As I said before, I think Windows 10 has a glitch that prevents the computer from going to sleep.

To try to fix this issue, I changed the setting in the extension to lock after 45 minutes. I'll see if that fixes the issue. Thanks for your help. 🙏

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad I was able to point you in the right direction @Eclancy1 .

You can test if the auto-lock timer works by setting it to 1 minute, then don't touch the computer for a minute and see if it does lock up on its own :)
    We're here in case you require further assistance.

This discussion has been closed.