Also delete links in entries when deleting documents

I just found out that links to documents are still shown in entries although documents were deleted already! :'(

I uploaded some documents and added them to entries as links. So I could open documents belonging to an entry by clicking on the links. Now I deleted some documents and was wondering that the links to these deleted documents are still available in the entries. Clicking on such a link opens an empty page. Now I have to edit every entry with such dead links to remove them.

Maybe it would be better to delete all links that are saved in connected entries forwarding to a document which is deleted from 1Password. Could you make this possible please?

1Password Version: 7.6.787
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    edited January 2021

Hey again @DenalB 👋

Can you tell me more about how these "entries" are saved into 1Password, and how you have them "linked"?

I'm a bit confused on how you've gotten things setup on your end, so any additional info would help.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @blake!

Actually I'm adding all of my software licenses into 1Password. They are stored in "Software Licenses". Also, I'm adding PDFs or JPGs with e.g. the license numbers or the invoices into 1Password. These files are in "Documents".

Now I add these documents as links into the software license entries. So when viewing a software license entry there are links to these PDFs or JPGs which I can open with a click.

When deleting such documents from "Documents" the links stay in the software license entry although PDFs or JPGs are deleted already, and I'm able to click these links. But then I got an empty page.

Hope this explanation helps? ;)

• Blake
    edited January 2021

Ah, thanks for that clarification! 😊

Just to double-check, though, can you confirm that you're "linking" these two items together using the instructions found below?

Link related items in 1Password

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

can you confirm that you're "linking" these two items together using the instructions found below?

Yes. That's what I do. But I don't link both items to each other. I only link to a document from a software license entry.

• @DenalB If you're linking the items together as described in the article, then you're on the right track!

When deleting such documents from "Documents" the links stay in the software license entry although PDFs or JPGs are deleted already, and I'm able to click these links. But then I got an empty page.

This is actually by-design. It’s a function of a user’s data being theirs, not ours. Here at 1Password, want to make as few decisions as possible about what a user wants us to do with their data in the absence of explicit instructions from the user. That’s why we pop a “save” dialogue for Logins instead of just saving everything, but why we DO save all passwords: because the risks of not saving a generated password are potentially huge, while the risks of not saving a Login are…annoying at worst.

With that being said, the same principle applies to this situation as well. 1Password doesn't "know" that the two items are linked, and it isn't designed to be able to automatically removed previously linked items that you've since deleted either. I hope this helps explain why it works the way it does! 😊

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @Blake !

1Password doesn't "know" that the two items are linked, and it isn't designed to be able to automatically removed previously linked items that you've since deleted either. I hope this helps explain why it works the way it does!

So to delete both - the link and the document - first I have to check the software license entry and delete the links. Then I have to delete the documents which I linked to. Ok... That's good to know. Thanks! :)

• You're spot on, @DenalB!

Glad I could help! 😊

This discussion has been closed.