I'm confused please advise me about moving to 4.0 on mac and iPhone

geo
geo
Community Member
edited January 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I'm currently using 3.8 and your iPhone app.

Unlike some here on your forums, I don't follow every move that Agile makes.
I like the software and often recommend it but I am a bit baffled by your marketing or more accurately your lack of clear marketing. While I see lots of voiced customer loyalty, as I now try to understand what you have charted as my path to the next version of your product I only see a "new" customer cost reality.

As I've been waiting for your product to settle down to a set of 4.0 products that have a sync solution that is easy, inside iCloud and on both platforms it seems the only way to have that is to pay for all the products again at full price?

So for example does that mean that for a single user it would be $50 for a mac and $18 dollars for an iPhone, totaling $68? I find that kind of steep given your customer stance but that seems to be your companies policy.
Have I got this wrong?
I don't relish looking for an alternative but at that price point I'm thinking there will be others out there who can do it for that or less.
What am I missing?

I noticed that in your forums there seemed to be a "sale" that occurred for the app before it also reached the mac, but if we don't jump thru unfinished hoops when you want us to we are not loyal customers.

Again I'm confused then by what a good customer is. One who buys your product, uses it and promotes it among their colleagues or someone who follows your every note and sale and jumps to claim their respected customer limited time reduced price when all the pieces are not there and you can't explain how your products will work together.

So I'll await your response and I guess start my slow search for a replacement.
It seems you don't have a path to accommodate customers who don't live for 1password update notices...

Please prove me wrong. I'm still listening...

best,

geo

Comments

• NateS
    NateS
    Community Member
    It's embarrassing to read geo's post. This is a high value product at a very reasonable cost. If geo can't afford the present price, he should have written AgileBits personally to try to work out some financial arrangement, rather than employing all this backhanded sarcasm. Anybody that wants to jump around between products on something as critical as password security doesn't seem to put a very high value on his own assets, such as bank accounts, etc. With a 2 year contract, he is paying thousands for his iPhone and he's complaining about $68 or whatever for securing his bank accounts and credit cards!?

As a long-term user with absolutely no personal or financial connection with AgileBits, I consider this to be a support forum not a soup kitchen.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2013
    Hey Geo,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry if there has been any confusion. All 1Password customers are good customers. We don't think there is such a thing as a bad customer. :)

We've attempted to clearly communicate on our website, our blog, Twitter, Facebook, here in the forums, and via our newsletter. Of course, we are always available to help as I hope my reply here demonstrates, and you can also contact us via email with any private questions you may have: support@ agilebits .com

We dislike spam as much as anyone else, so the email newsletter is strictly opt-in. We don't email newsletter announcements to folks who have not indicated they want to receive such announcements unless they have explicitly indicated interest by subscribing. If you don't want to monitor all the possible channels of announcements — and I don't blame you — the newsletter is the easiest option.

1Password 4 for iOS was released back in December with a month long introductory sale to celebrate and help folks migrate. It is a separate purchase from the old 1Password 3 for iOS so that users of old devices that cannot run iOS 6 — required for 1Password 4 for iOS — can still continue to use the old version and redownload it if they need to. If 1Password 4 for iOS was an "update" to 1Password 3 for iOS, that would not be possible.

Unfortunately, Apple does not allow special discounts for a small subset of users (such as existing users of an older version), so "upgrade pricing" is simply not possible on the App Store. Our options were: (1) have a generous sale that everyone could benefit from or (2) have no sale and not be generous to anyone. We much prefer option (1) which is why we had a generous launch sale. The launch sale was even extended two weeks past the date that we announced it would end because we wanted to give everyone a chance to purchase 1Password 4 for iOS as the discounted price. There will be future sales, though, so if you want to wait for such a sale I'd encourage you to sign up for the newsletter so we can notify you when it happens.

As for 1Password 4 for Mac, it has not been released yet. However, [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1Password 4 for Mac will be a paid upgrade. [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nothing I write should be construed as a promise or guarantee of anything in the future, since the future hasn't happened yet and anything could happen between now and the time that 1Password 4 for Mac is released. The truth is, though, [/font]no single major version upgrade to 1Password on any platform has occurred without a fantastic sale to show our appreciation for our customers[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif].[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just as an example, the 1Password 4 for iOS launch sale I mentioned above was [/font]OVER 50% OFF[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] to celebrate and help folks migrate. I can't promise anything specific, but if that ends up being the case for 1Password 4 for Mac it will be the lowest cost 1Password for Mac upgrade in history. The current upgrade price for 1Password 2 for Mac to 1Password 3 for Mac is $34.99. A launch sale of 50% OFF would mean the upgrade from 1Password 3.8 for Mac to 1Password 4 for Mac would be only $24.99 — $10 less than the previous upgrade price.[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I hope that helps. Please do let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thanks for being a great customer. We really appreciate you choosing [/font]1Password.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cheers,[/font]
This discussion has been closed.