Update existing login not working

When I change passwords for an existing login in Chrome, the update/save popup shows up as expected. However, when I select "update existing" and choose the login I want to update, the new password (generated from within 1Password) doesn't replace the old one. I noticed this happening as I go back to the page to login (even right after changing the password) and the logins are incorrect. Revealing the password in 1Password shows the old one still. I sync my vault via Dropbox but I don't think that's the problem as the vault itself isn't updating. Help?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.7
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_tommyag_tommy

Team Member

@martinmich

Do you, by chance, have duplicate entries for the same login?

• Single entry, no duplicates.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@martinmich:

When this happens, does the generated password perhaps get stored in a separate password item in the Passwords category?

• edited January 15

@ag_ana @ag_tommy:

Yes it does. One with no username, just the password. I just went through the process for my password on this board.

You see here I'm updating the existing login item (that is the only entry in the dropdown as well)

Then I see this password only item from the generated password after choosing to update the existing login item

When I look at the login item, it shows that it has been modified (see below). However if I reveal the password and compare it to the one in the separate password item they are different. The password in the login item is still the old one.

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@martinmich:

Thank you for all the information! I have managed to find an internal discussion where our developers are investigating exactly this behavior, so I will add your experience there :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#3948

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file