Does Windows have an equivalent to Mac's Secure Input Fields?

MONKi1P
MONKi1P
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

As far as I understand it, Secure Input Fields are an OS feature of Macs. What does 1Password use to replicate this security functionality on Windows?

If there is none, does that mean that MFA is more important to use with 1Password for Windows users to protect against keyloggers?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

For Windows applications, 1Password uses Secure Desktop.

https://blog.1password.com/watch-what-you-type-1passwords-defenses-against-keystroke-loggers/

https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

Your Secret Key will also protect against keyloggers as will keeping your system up-to-date, running anti-virus software and avoiding downloading software of dubious provenance. Two factor authentication provides useful protection if someone has your Master Password and Secret Key.

• MONKi1P
    MONKi1P
    Community Member

@missingbits Do you know what the differences are between Mac's Secure Input Fields and Windows' Secure Desktop? Are they equally secure?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@MONKi1P I don't know more than jpgoldberg says in the blog post; it's quite exhaustive! However, I think its true to say that Windows' Secure Desktop has evolved from Desktop which was not originally designed for security. So my feeling is that Mac's Secure Input Fields are probably more secure.

• MONKi1P
    MONKi1P
    Community Member

@missingbits Yeah that's my hunch but maybe someone from the 1Password team can chime in and give us a little bit more insight.

• Dayton_ag
    edited February 2021

Hi @MONKi1P,

That’s a great question! Currently, Windows provides secure desktop to help with securely entering your Master Password. The links that @missingbits shared (thanks so much!) give a bit more insight as to what threats we as users face, and the steps that 1Password takes to overcome them.

While I will refrain from commenting on whether one operating system’s method is more secure than the other, we’re constantly reviewing and updating the security methods within the apps to make use of the best-available tools to keep your data safe. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.