Stuttering on high refresh rate monitors

Options

I was wondering if there were any plans to improve the performance for the 1Password standalone client on windows machines with high refresh rate monitors. I have a monitor with 144Hz refresh rate, and it seems that the 1Password standalone client runs at 60Hz and as a result I have flickering occurring whenever the 1Password window is in focus and not just on the monitor screen. This issue is not present when using the Firefox browser extension. Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.6.791
Extension Version: 1.23.0
OS Version: windows 10 pro
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Is there any info on a possible patch for high refresh rate displays for the standalone client

Comments

• Blake
    edited February 2021
    Options

Howdy @wubzy 🤠

Do you by any chance have G-Sync enabled on your monitor? We have seen in the past where having G-Sync enabled caused the same behavior you are reporting. 1Password 7 for Windows uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and WPF depends on the Windows' graphics subsystem to render the apps. WPF is limited to 60fps.

Please let me know your setup, and we will go from there.

• wubzy
    wubzy
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Blake, yes I am using G-Sync on both windowed and full screen applications. That makes sense. I guess that about answers my concern. Thanks!

• We have seen in the past where having G-Sync enabled caused the same behavior you are reporting. 1Password for Windows uses Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) to render 1Password's UI and WPF is capped at 60hz. You can learn a bit more about the details behind this here.

As it turns out, Microsoft is aware of this issue with Windows Presentation Foundation (and G-Sync) judging by this particular GitHub Issue, where it seems like the current workaround is to change adaptive sync mode in Nvidia Control Panel from windows + fullscreen to full screen only mode, as found by this community member.

Can you give this a shot and see if it corrects some of the issues you were seeing there? 😊💙

This discussion has been closed.