Convert Avast passwords to 1pass: failure [Solved]

pmarmite
pmarmite
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I'm trying to use the mrc conversion suite.
I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

1 Drag and drop failed:

“macOSConvertHelper” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.
macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
The buttons I get are "Move to Trash" and "Cancel".
is there a way round this?

1. Running the script in a shell failed.

I got

perl Converters/Avastpasswords.pm --help
Can't locate UUID/Tiny.pm in @INC (you may need to install the UUID::Tiny module) (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at Utils/PIF.pm line 17.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Utils/PIF.pm line 17.
Compilation failed in require at Converters/Avastpasswords.pm line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Converters/Avastpasswords.pm line 20 (#1)
(F) You said to do (or require, or use) a file that couldn't be found.
Perl looks for the file in all the locations mentioned in @INC, unless
the file name included the full path to the file. Perhaps you need
to set the PERL5LIB or PERL5OPT environment variable to say where the
extra library is, or maybe the script needs to add the library name
to @INC. Or maybe you just misspelled the name of the file. See
"require" in perlfunc and lib.

Uncaught exception from user code:
Can't locate UUID/Tiny.pm in @INC (you may need to install the UUID::Tiny module) (@INC contains: /Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.18 /Network/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.18 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.18.4 /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.18 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.18 .) at Utils/PIF.pm line 17.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Utils/PIF.pm line 17.
Compilation failed in require at Converters/Avastpasswords.pm line 20.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Converters/Avastpasswords.pm line 20.

Do I need to install some files to run perl at this level?

Thanks,
Philip Morton
Berkeley, CA

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am failing to convert from Avast Passwords to 1pass format. perl Converters/Avastpasswords.pm --help output https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cyvy9J7wZCpnRivUFbyO6WEGvoGZ-yTj4M_DMh4xXqY/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pmarmite! Welcome to the forum!

It looks like you encountered the same issue discussed here on the forum, can you please take a look and see if the suggested fix works for you too?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@pmarmite

Right-click the macOSConvertHelper script and select Open. This will allow you to bypass the macOS gatekeeper. The script will guide you after that.

Alternatively, you can use the command line method. The helper script just builds the command line for you.

The error you are getting via command line is due to not being in the mrc-converter-suite folder. Be sure it is on your Desktop, and you have issued the command:

cd ~/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite

Then run the conversion command.

• pmarmite
    pmarmite
    Community Member

Thanks. I’ve got it

I googled the error message and that pointed me to allowing the converter script to access all file types. But I don’t like to circumvent Apple’s security protocols.

Perhaps you can update the documentation, including the requirement that the converter must be the desktop folder.

Philip

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2021

@pmarmite

I understand. Unless I purchase a developer license (about $100 I believe), I cannot sign the script. It's a bit silly, since its just text that you can read in Script Editor. But I get your point and passion here.

Regarding placing the mrc-converter-suite folder on the Desktop, the main landing page for the converter suite does say this:

The converter's location is not requirement - it just makes writing the instructions and helping others much easier, being able to refer to a known location. Otherwise, there's a back and forth discussion with users: "Where did you place the mrc-converter-suite folder"

Finally, the macOSConverterHelper does have documentation about the errors you might encounter, and how to deal with them:

• pmarmite
    pmarmite
    Community Member

Oops. My mistake. I didn't read all the way through the instructions.

Anyway I have it converted now. I used the system prefs overriding the privacy and security settings.

I have a MacBook Air and a single trackpad key. Just to test the instructions I tried to drag the json file onto the app while holding down the Control key, but I got an error message, as shown in the attached image.

I can stop now. I'm probably making more trouble than you want to deal with.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@pmarmite ,

It's no problem, and I appreciate the reports. I'm a bit behind updating the docs for the newer OS, and each OS seems to add more restrictions and requirements. I've been concerned that macOS Big Sur would break functionality completely. Now that I know the script works, I'll put some more love into it.

Drag-n-Drop works (just tired it), but requires permissions in Security & Privacy to be set first. Here's a video that shows it. I had to drag the dialogs into the frame, since my screen is very large.

• pmarmite
    pmarmite
    Community Member

Thanks for the conversion tool. I have imported my passwords into 1password.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up @pmarmite .

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.