Touch ID to unlock Chrome extension?

dyoung1930
dyoung1930
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I'm considering 1Password because of the change in LastPass' licensing. One thing that caught my attention was that I could use Touch ID to unlock my vault instead of typing my extremely-long-and-annoying-but-quite-secure vault password.

Sadly, I keep having to re-enter my master password to fill passwords in Chrome. That's not so helpful.

How do I make it work so that Touch ID can unlock and fill in on Chrome?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Chrome 1.23.0 (latest Chrome)
OS Version: macOS 11.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

There's a few solutions for that (well really one solution and a "hold on a bit" as the other):

1. Use the Classic extension https://support.1password.com/cs/1password-classic-extension/ has a slightly different feel, no inline filling, but talks directly with the 1Password app on your computer, so can be unlocked however the 1Password app can unlock.
    2. Hold out with the new extension "1Password" (formerly known as 1Password X) and be patient for the return of desktop integration. It was previously in beta on macOS only, but was removed to be implemented in a more robust fashion. At this time, Agilebits has not provided a firm timeline on when it will return to beta.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the assist here plttn :+1:

@dyoung1930: Welcome to the forum! Let us know if the post above helps, or if you have any other questions :)

• dyoung1930
    dyoung1930
    Community Member

Hmm, this trades one UI friction for another. So now I'm debating if I should stick with LastPass at a lower annual cost and wait for 1Password to (maybe) update the extension, or commit to 1Password and hope the new extension comes out after many months of delays.

If the Touch ID integration worked, along with the added UI goodness, then you'd no doubt have a net new customer. I'll noodle on it, but thanks for directing me along.

Thanks @plttn and @ag_ana.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@dyoung1930:

In case it helps your decision, Touch ID integration was temporarily removed from the latest browser extension while our developers work on replacing it with something that works even better, so it's not something that never existed. Please see this announcement here in the forum for all the details:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• dyoung1930
    dyoung1930
    Community Member

@ag_ana yeah, but that was in August 2020... 7 months ago. Not so encouraging, especially when 1P won't commit to a delivery date. (As per plttn).

• MattBDev
    MattBDev
    Community Member

It would be nice if I could unlock 1Password on my PC with Windows Hello. It would be so much easier and faster.

• Hello @MattBDev, @dyoung1930,

We are also excited for the integration feature to be back, and this time it will work on Windows to use Windows Hello to unlock 1Password. We planed to release it at the end of last year. However, due to some objective reasons, we couldn't reach our goal. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

This discussion has been closed.