Extra Copies of 1Password Found

Options
millifoo
millifoo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

This has been happening for a couple months now, looks like some kind of circular alias issue (although I don't see anything that should cause that - my 1Password is in the normal spot: /Applications

Any clues?

Mac: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
Mac OS: 10.15.7
1Password: 7.7.1.BETA-9

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021
    Options

@millifoo

You will want to set an exclusion within Time Machine for the 1Password application. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/exclude-files-from-a-time-machine-backup-mh15622/mac

• Your data is not maintained within the app. You can always download a new copy of the app from us should you ever need to do that.

Here are the instructions Apple provides on deleting files (The previous copies of 1Password 7 in the Applications folder) from a Time Machine backup. https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-a-file-time-machine-backup-disk-mh26863/mac Which should help you clear up those messages.

• millifoo
    millifoo
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent! Thanks!

• @millifoo

Looks like Apple has been doing a little site rearranging. This link should work for 10.15.7 for excluding a file from Time Machine https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/exclude-files-from-a-time-machine-backup-mh15622/10.15/mac/10.15 The other link on removing a file from Time Machine backups opens as intended for me.

• rlfsoso2
    rlfsoso2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Folks,

different take on this: why should 1Password check on a volume used by TimeMachine for copies of 1Password to update? So far this seems the only program doing this. And I do want to keep copies/versions of my drive, not for the data but for unforeseeable things. Oh and by the way, what about having a volume with a clone connected to my machine at times, when 1Password is checking for updates?
    It should not be necessary to do fancy manual stuff to exclude a program. Currently (and for the foreseeable future) staying in Catalina, this would be different to set up any way.
    Cheers, Rolf!

• @rlfsoso2

macOS has been known to accidentally start an incorrect copy of 1Password on other partitions, causing all sorts of issues. We decided to use an abundance of caution, and recommend no backups. We maintain copies of the app, and they are available from our downloads page should you ever need a copy.

• Your data is not maintained within the app. You can always download a new copy of the app from us should you ever need to do that.

The same recommendation applies to clone drives, adding an exclusion for the app.

If you see “extra copies of 1Password found”

• rlfsoso2
    rlfsoso2
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy

ok, fair enough. So I gather 1Password searches actively for other copies of itself. And I do understand the rationale (say within user's application folder, though I can imagine reasons for having 1Password ONLY in a user's application folder on shared machines, and Mac OS supplies mechanisms for allowing this). But within TimeMachine?! Which seems not to be a normal "partition" or drive.
    I can manually exclude 1Password from TimeMachine backups but this – in my mind – conflicts with TimeMachine's approach of all in, behind the scenes, seamlessly managing things for snapshots in time, including apps setup.

Cheers, Rolf

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rlfsoso:

But within TimeMachine?! Which seems not to be a normal "partition" or drive.

I believe it's because of what my colleague Tommy wrote in his previous post:

macOS has been known to accidentally start an incorrect copy of 1Password on other partitions, causing all sorts of issues.

I believe Time Machine partitions are amongst these.

This discussion has been closed.