1Password for Linux beta #27 πŸŽ‰

SavanniSavanni

Team Member
edited March 9 in Linux Beta

Happy Monday, everyone!

Another long list of new bug fixes and quality of life improvements. This week, here's a short list of prominent new features:

• 1Password will remember the last view you were on before locking or exiting
  • We have made item editing safer by prompting you before cancelling edits and by saving any edits in progress if you click away
  • We have improved the reliability of autolock on Linux systems that lack a desktop environment

We hope you like these improvements! Read about more in today's release notes.

We also have another big feature to showcase to you today!

Browser Integration πŸ”“

Starting today, 1Password for Linux and the 1Password Browser extension can share information between one another. If you enable this feature, then when you unlock 1Password for Linux, the browser extension will automatically unlock at the same time. But, it gets better!

All accounts that you have in 1Password for Linux will immediately appear with the browser extension. And if you are in your browser and click on the extension icon to unlock, 1Password for Linux will handle the entire unlock process. If you have biometric unlock set up for the desktop side of 1Password, the browser extension gets it for free!

For this feature, you need to start by installing the beta version of the 1Password extension on Chrome or on Firefox.

Now, go into 1Password settings and enable "Share information with 1Password in your browser".

As soon as you click on the 1Password extension icon, the extension will connect to the desktop app!

note: This does not always work in Chromium. This seems to be a distribution-specific problem, so we hope to get it fixed soon. This feature also cannot work if you installed 1Password with Snap. This is a much more complex issue in which we need to learn how to provide these features for sandboxed applications. Watch for that in the future!

Definitely let us know what you think about this feature!

Installing and upgrading

Go to the getting started guide for instructions on installing or updating 1Password.

I feel very fortunate to be here watching these features go live, and contributing my own, working on a product that I love on a platform that I have been using since the 1.2 kernel days. Thank you so much for taking this journey with us.

Comments

• johann_koebbejohann_koebbe ✭
    edited March 8

I picked up the latest version earlier today on Kubuntu 20.10, but it was versions 8.0.27:

=> apt show 1password
    Package: 1password
    Version: 8.0.27-50722
    Priority: extra
    Section: default
    Maintainer: 1Password <[email protected]>
    Installed-Size: 252 MB
    Depends: libnotify4, libappindicator1, libnss3, libcurl4, libc6 (>= 2.27)
    Homepage: https://1password.com
    License: LicenseRef-1Password-Proprietary
    Vendor: 1Password <[email protected]>
    Download-Size: 68.9 MB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: https://downloads.1password.com/linux/debian edge/main amd64 Packages
    Description: Password manager and secure wallet

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

You got the right one, @johann_koebbe. We were changing build numbers and ended up needing to jump to 8 to make our generation script work. We left the title of this post as 0.9.x to reflect the fact we're still in early access mode here. I agree it looks a bit odd though so I'm betting we rename things soon. πŸ™‚

• Thanks for the confirmation, @dteare ! :)

• dtearedteare Agile Founder

Team Member

I renamed the title to make this less confusing. I hope it helps! 🀞

• mhalanomhalano ✭

A had the same thoughts about the version of DEB package. I thought someone messed up the 9 for an 8 and changed the position too.

• MikeTMikeT Agile Samurai

Team Member

Thanks for letting us know, mhalano. We're probably going to try to bring everything more aligned with 8.x quickly as we continue to improve 1Password.

• jc00kejc00ke ✭

Is it possible to remap Ctrl+\? Whenever I try to exit Elixir's iex with what I've always used (Ctrl+\\) 1Password pops up. :frown:

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member

Hey @jc00ke, sorry you're running into that! Blake has a great post about remapping the shortcut in the thread at the link below:

1Password Support Community - Global Hotkey

• lumarellumarel ✭

This build got the autolock working for Fedora 33, thank you so much!
    And also the browser integration with Firefox works like a charm :chuffed:

• nickmcguirenickmcguire

Team Member

Awesome @lumarel, I'm happy to hear our autolock and browser integration are working well for you! πŸŽ‰

• tunixtunix ✭

I'm really glad with the progress 1Password has made for Linux. Kudos to the whole team! Can't wait for the snap - browser integration. Hopefully you guys will find out a way for it.

Also it'd be great to be able to customize the keyboard shortcuts. Ctrl+\ requires 3 key strokes for me (Turkish keyboard: Ctrl + alt-r + *) and I couldn't make it work on my desktop. (the app doesn't show up when I hit that key strokes)

• SavanniSavanni

Team Member

@tunix Do you happen to be running Wayland?

• lumarellumarel ✭

:chuffed::+1:@nickmcguire

One little "Problem" which does not really need its own thread is:

WARN 2021-03-13T18:05:15.951 tokio-runtime-worker [1P:op-settings/src/store/json_store.rs:305] Invalid type for setting security.clipboard.clearAfter.Using it's default value instead.

As far as I can see the schema isn't up to date anymore, as security.clipoard.clearAfter only allows a boolean now instead of the integer from before :)

• nickmcguirenickmcguire

Team Member

Heya @lumarel,

:ty: for bringing that up, you are 100% correct. The setting "security.clipboard.clearAfter" has switched from accepting a number to just a true/false value.

I've brought that up to the team working on settings so we can get things noted there for these sort of changes in the future. I know we've got some more work happening there in the coming weeks.

• lumarellumarel ✭

Okay, thank you @nickmcguire :)

• tunixtunix ✭

@Savanni - nope. I use X11 as my daily driver.

• Dayton_agDayton_ag

Team Member
    edited March 15

Hi @tunix, you can customize the keyboard shortcut to suit your needs - Blake has a string you can add to your settings json in the post I'll link below:

1Password Support Community - Global Hotkey

Feel free to post your experience or any follow-up questions in that thread and we'll be happy to help out. :smile:

• jc00kejc00ke ✭

@Dayton_ag I forgot about the settings file... thanks for reminding me!

• BlakeBlake

Team Member

On behalf of Dayton, you're super welcome @jc00ke! 😊

This discussion has been closed.