Is it safe to install 1password via Chocolatey package manager?

Options
oldmankit
oldmankit
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've just discovered Chocolatey and, being an ex-Linux user, really love the concept of being able to install and upgrade software en-masse via the command line. It seems about 80% of the software I use has a presence there…even 1Password versions 7 and 4.

My first thought was, no, why would I trust that. Does anyone have any opinions on whether install 1Password for Windows via Chocolatey is safe or not?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    Options

Hi @oldmankit 👋

We do not maintain that package found on Chocolatey, as the only officially available version of 1Password for Windows can be found on our downloads page, linked below.

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/

If you're looking for an easier way to deploy 1Password to multiple machines simultaneously, give us a shout at support+windows@1password.com and we can set you up with an .msi installer. 😊

• oldmankit
    oldmankit
    Community Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

Thank you, Blake. I don't have any strong need for doing this via Chocalatey; it's just a convenience. I don't think it's worth the security tradeoff from my perspective.

Thank you very much for your offer, but this is just for my personal machines. 😁

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Understood @oldmankit, sounds good :) And on behalf of Blake, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.