Documents in 1P are stored unencrypted on hard drive

tomrehor
tomrehor
Community Member
edited March 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I have 1Pv6. I store documents such as a pdf of my passport in the Identities section. Using an app, I can search my hard drive and find the
passport pdf, unencrypted.

As a test, I created an image called MyImageABC, so I know I never had used that name before. I put it in my Identity as an Attachment, then deleted it. Using EasyFind, I can find it in .../private/var/folders/dg/n5z7w9wh8xn60w00r6bjcrv00000gn/T/com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex/C8BE7594-143F-4458-9105-37593884AA33. It is unencrypted.

This seems like a security risk. How can I change this such that the local version can not be accessed (unencrypted) except by 1Password?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 11.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:unencripted fiels

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomrehor!

I just wanted to let you know that I have forwarded your question directly to our security team :+1: We will post back here as soon as we have an update.

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2021

@tomrehor

When the document is accessed for viewing it is available at such a path. When you lock 1Password any unencrypted copies are removed. Here is a short recording of how the process works. If you would like you can replicate this on your device by locking 1Password. I am using 1Password 7 but the process should be very similar with 1Password 6.

If this doesn't help or if you'd still like our security team to chime in please let me know and I'll ask them to reply with further. details

• tomrehor
    tomrehor
    Community Member

I tested, and you are correct. After locking 1P, the documents are no longer there. Thank you for your help, and keep up the great work!

• @tomrehor

You're most welcome. If you have any more questions send them our way.

This discussion has been closed.