1Password 8 for Windows + iPhone

Hi Team,

I would have two questions:

1. I would be interested in 1Password lincense for Windows 10. However, the current version of 1Password is 7.8. I don't want to buy a lincese for the 7.* version and in the next weeks there will be probably a 8.* version, meaning I would have to pay twice for a license. Is there any current timeline for how long version 7.* won't be upgraded to 8.* or is there any information about introducing 8.*?

2. I would use 1Password on Windows primarily. However, I also have an iPhone and would like to sync the container between my Windows Computer and the iPhone. As of now, I could download the 1Password app within iTunes on my iPhone for no cost. How does the standalone license I would by for Windows would work with the iPhone? Would it work with no issues? Or do i have also to buy/ subscribe to an subscription to use my stand alone licnese with my iPhone?

Thanks and regards
Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

Not an Agilebits employee.

Licenses are always only valid for the current major version, and they do not discuss when/if a new version will happen.

Your only option for syncing (if you wanted to stay with a standalone version) to your iPhone would be Dropbox sync. My understanding of this (as someone who has only ever used the membership) is that the iOS app will handle standalone vaults without any issues or requiring an additional payment.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bitc321!

Is there any current timeline for how long version 7.* won't be upgraded to 8.* or is there any information about introducing 8.*?

We don't have a timeline on this. My recommendation would be to start using version 7, and then reach out to our sales team later on if necessary. No point in waiting if you would like to start using 1Password right away :)

I would use 1Password on Windows primarily. However, I also have an iPhone and would like to sync the container between my Windows Computer and the iPhone. As of now, I could download the 1Password app within iTunes on my iPhone for no cost. How does the standalone license I would by for Windows would work with the iPhone? Would it work with no issues? Or do i have also to buy/ subscribe to an subscription to use my stand alone licnese with my iPhone?

As plttn correctly said, in your case your only option if you don't want to subscribe is Dropbox. Here is a summary of all the sync options:

Sync your 1Password data

• bitc321
    bitc321
    Community Member

Hi plttn & ag_ana,

thanks for your quick reply and help! :)

Is there only the Dropbox sync option? I knew from friends (however, they are Mac user and since 3-4 years with you guys), that there was a wlan option between 1password for the local PC and the device (iPhone). Is this option gone? Or still working (maybe just for Mac, not Windows)?

Thanks and best regards,
    Rafa

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bitc321:

Between Windows and iOS, you can use Dropbox or our own 1Password.com sync. The WLAN option is there in 1Password for Mac, as you correctly said, but not in 1Password for Windows.

• bitc321
    bitc321
    Community Member

@ag_ana: Alright, thanks for this information - wasn't aware of that! Is the sync via 1Password.com also possible if I "just" have a standalone license? Or do I need a subscription for this snyc method? I'm just asking in case one don't have Dropbox account. Thanks!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2021

Hey @bitc321

You would need a membership in order to utilize 1Password.com. Membership would also include the latest versions of both 1Password for Windows and 1Password for iOS (and any future updates/upgrades to those apps). Membership is the recommended path here — it is where all of our development effort is focused. I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.